Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2005 11:54:28 AM EDT
I need to know who makes the best? Butler creek, eagle, ramline or other? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I find it boils down to trail and error.  Now that I think about it, I find alot of items for 10/22 boils down to trail and error.
Some say Butler Cheek steel lipped are very good, I have had bad luck with them.  

The best luck I have had is with the black colored Condor 25 round magazines.

The 50 round tear drop ones work great but are expensive and break after a few loadings.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read that the 10/22 magazine from Tactical Inc.
www.tacticalinc.com/product_info.php/cPath/111/products_id/212
are supposed to be very good and reliable.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've read that the 10/22 magazine from Tactical Inc.
www.tacticalinc.com/product_info.php/cPath/111/products_id/212
are supposed to be very good and reliable.

+1
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I run 2 butler creek  25rds and they are flawless and have been run through hundreds of times.  Very reliable with no misfeads or anything of the sort.  I also have 2 50rd ramlines that are complete crap and cannot feed at all.  So my vote goes for butler creek all the way. I would buy them any day of the week over anything else
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got four butler creek hot-lips mags that have been working great for ~4-5k rounds now, as well as the ever-amazing mag loader. No issues yet!                                                                                                                                                    
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Stay away from the ramline 50's.  I made the mistake of buying 2 and they both were horrible.  After about 3 hours with a dremel and epoxy I got one working reliably.  I'm not to sure I want to de the same with the other one yet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
jeebus! $55 for a 10/22 mag
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

$55 for a aluminum, servicable, and repairable 10/22 mag

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And adjustable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And adjustable.

I may have to give this a try
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Ramlines aren't the best but I don't know any other 50rd mags except the teardrop Condor drum mag.  Even using Ramlines extensively in full auto I rarely have mag failure except hangups inside because of the cyclic rate.  When mine fail it's because they split and they do wear out like everything else.  Mine don't jam except in full auto on rare occasion.  I guess YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I have some of every brand. I have one Ram Line 50 that gives me problems. I would recommend the BC just because of the loader, it rocks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually Ramline makes a good loader for their mags as well.

I would recommend the BC over the Ramline because of the metal feed lips and the lack of negative reports.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Eagles, but they only work if you don't run an extended mag release.  If you are running a extended mag release, just break off the little tab.  They are easy to jungle clip togeather if you are into that sort of thing.   The main thing in their favor is that they are single column mags.  That helps reliability if they are less than clean or you are using funky ammo.  It does, however make them longer than, say a ramline 30 rounder.   The only problems I have ever had have been attributable to that black, greased Russian .22 ammo that I tried.  Once I shot all of that up, and switched to decent ammo, all was good.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I guess I will be getting Butler Creek mags. Thanks for all the info.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I like Eagles, but they only work if you don't run an extended mag release.  If you are running a extended mag release, just break off the little tab.  They are easy to jungle clip togeather if you are into that sort of thing.   The main thing in their favor is that they are single column mags.  That helps reliability if they are less than clean or you are using funky ammo.  It does, however make them longer than, say a ramline 30 rounder.   The only problems I have ever had have been attributable to that black, greased Russian .22 ammo that I tried.  Once I shot all of that up, and switched to decent ammo, all was good.  

you mean juniors? ive got a big case of those, and they suck in everything.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#17]
My experience:

2- Older black compact 30rd Ramlines = 100%
1 - Newer smoke 50rd = 0%, can't even get it to hold more then 23 rounds
5- New smoke Eagle mags = 100%
5- Butler creek hot lips = 100%

I used to think the Eagle mags were crap...until I actually bought one, checked it out and tried it..I really like them now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And adjustable.

That's really neat.  I hadn't seen that before.  I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
This just came in the mail today. So far I'm impressed with the quality of this mag. It has a nice solid feel to it and a nice finish. It did come with instructions on how to adjust feed angle, feed height, and left & right alignment. I'll report back after I get a chance to use it.

For now here's the pics: (Right now my 10/22 is mostly stock except for a new hammer, extractor, auto bolt release, and buffer)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Hokie2000/Ruger%20pics/IMG_0380.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Hokie2000/Ruger%20pics/IMG_0378.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Hokie2000/Ruger%20pics/IMG_0379.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Hokie2000/Ruger%20pics/IMG_0383.jpg
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]
That is a work of art...I will give them that.

Nice pics!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I will pass on the mag unless I start getting feeding problems
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]
IMHO- Eagles are the best.  I own 8 30 round pre-94 AWB mags.  They work flawlessly with Federal ammo.  Also have 6 10-rounders.  Recently bought 7 more 30-rounders at a gun store going out of business fire sale for about 6 bucks each.  Great mags.  I do have a 50-round Ramline that is a jammer.  Weak plastic- it is also a pre AWB mag.  Thank you Sen. Schumer, Boxer, Feinstein, Lautenberg, et al.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
IMHO- Eagles are the best.  I own 8 30 round pre-94 AWB mags.  They work flawlessly with Federal ammo.  Also have 6 10-rounders.  Recently bought 7 more 30-rounders at a gun store going out of business fire sale for about 6 bucks each.  Great mags.  I do have a 50-round Ramline that is a jammer.  Weak plastic- it is also a pre AWB mag.  Thank you Sen. Schumer, Boxer, Feinstein, Lautenberg, et al.  

The Eagles are very nice and work well. I also like the Butler Creek mags. All the other have been hit and misses.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a butler creek 25 rdr?  I put it in the gun to make sure it fit.  I have never even loaded it.  I guess I just know see much need for more than 10 rds in my 10/22.  I guess if you were being overun by vicious vorpal bunnies or something.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I run 2 butler creek  25rds and they are flawless and have been run through hundreds of times.  Very reliable with no misfeads or anything of the sort.  I also have 2 50rd ramlines that are complete crap and cannot feed at all.  So my vote goes for butler creek all the way. I would buy them any day of the week over anything else

+1 I have a Butler creek 25 rd. as well it performs flawlessly,  i put hundred rounds threw it when a first got it with a few Fail to Feeds but after that absolutley no problems, I think it just needed to break in a bit and a friend of mine has a couple of ramline 50 rd. mags and they are complete crap i dont think ive seen the whole mag go out yet with out atleast 2 jams.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#26]

I have a butler creek 25 rdr? I put it in the gun to make sure it fit. I have never even loaded it. I guess I just know see much need for more than 10 rds in my 10/22. I guess if you were being overun by vicious vorpal bunnies or something.

Do you ever go shooting and not want to keep reloading constantly????

I like to spend more time shooting and less time loading when I am out at the range. I load up all my 25-30rd mags at home and then keep the lead flying

Same concept with my larger centerfire guns also. Do you only have 10rd mags for your AR? HKs? AKs?

Added: Not flaming, just curious
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Same here, I walk on to the range with 200 rounds loaded into my 8 mags.  I get in a decent play session and still return home within an hour.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]
The Ramline and Butler Creek loading machines make quick work of reloading, I go through at least a brick or more rimfire ammo each shooting session.

I know at least one manufacturer was working on a rimfire drum until shut down by ATFE due to the AWB law, but now they are free to continue.  Can't wait.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The Ramline and Butler Creek loading machines make quick work of reloading, I go through at least a brick or more rimfire ammo each shooting session.  

I have 25 round Pro Mag magazines which are good unless overloaded then they misfeed for two rounds then work flawlessly.

I have 30 round Eagle magazines which work flawlessly.

I have a 50 round Ram Line magazine which works flawlessly.  It's hard to load it due to the stiff spring and a sharp edge on the feed lips.  I tried it out for the first time and it only took 49 rounds but I didn't try to force another round in the mag.  This one definitely needs a magazine loader.

I use an AK pouch for my magazines.  The hi-caps go in the large pockets and the small pocket holds the factory magazine in it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have a butler creek 25 rdr? I put it in the gun to make sure it fit. I have never even loaded it. I guess I just know see much need for more than 10 rds in my 10/22. I guess if you were being overun by vicious vorpal bunnies or something.

I like to spend more time shooting and less time loading when I am out at the range. I load up all my 25-30rd mags at home and then keep the lead flying

Same concept with my larger centerfire guns also. Do you only have 10rd mags for your AR? HKs? AKs?

No and No.  I have 20 and 30 rdrs for my AR.  I just think that up to 10rds from my 10/22 in one tiny hole is sufficient.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No and No.  I have 20 and 30 rdrs for my AR.  I just think that up to 10rds from my 10/22 in one tiny hole is sufficient.

i'm kinda with you.  when i'm shooting my custom 10/22 I only use my factory 10 round, since i'm going for precision, and the 10 round is the most reliable.  but when i'm shooting my stock 10/22 plinker, i shoot w/ high cap since i'm basically just rapid fire shooting at anything and everything on the range.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I do exactly the same thing......I have a custom 10/22 tack driver that I use my 10rders in and a plinker (mall ninja tactical jobby) for blasting fun.

In true AR15.com tradition.....one must have both setups
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Dang, I wish I had ya'lls luck.  I have 6 hotlips...........crappo.  I bought a new steel lipped BC.....zilch.  I can't even get the follower to return after a shell has been stripped from the mag.  I have worked the spring many times with a small ruler to smooth out the action, no go.  I have lubed with graphite, no improvement.  I have lost all faith in the BC mags.

Heck, I could have bought 3 of the aluminum mags for what I have wasted on this Butler Creek crap!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Dang, I wish I had ya'lls luck.  I have 6 hotlips...........crappo.  I bought a new steel lipped BC.....zilch.  I can't even get the follower to return after a shell has been stripped from the mag.  I have worked the spring many times with a small ruler to smooth out the action, no go.  I have lubed with graphite, no improvement.  I have lost all faith in the BC mags.

Heck, I could have bought 3 of the aluminum mags for what I have wasted on this Butler Creek crap!!!

Doc

You are not alone, I bought some of the Ramline 50's, won't feed right. I bought some of the Butler Creek Hotlips, don't work either. I bought some of the Butler Creek Steel Lips, won't work right.

I use the Ruger 10 round magazine, works perfect every time.

Becuase Ruger will not make factory magazines in a higher capacity than 10 rounds for the 10/22. I decided several months ago that I will not buy any more of thier products until they do.

I also contacted them and told them this as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#35]

CCI MiniMags are too long to fit in Butler Creek mags with the metal feeding lips!  Or at least the four I bought are.

Is this an ammo or a magazine problem?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they work better than butler creeks
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doc

You are not alone, I bought some of the Ramline 50's, won't feed right. I bought some of the Butler Creek Hotlips, don't work either. I bought some of the Butler Creek Steel Lips, won't work right.

Ditto
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Tag for the TI range report.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Tag for the TI range report.

there are giant reviews over at rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Well I was able to make it out to the range to try out my Tactical Inc. mag and I shot about 350 rounds of various ammo: CCI Mini Mags, CCI Blazer, and some left over Remington from 2 years ago and had no problems and I'm very happy with the purchase. I even tried to empty the mag as fast as I could pull the trigger and it still fed great. I didn't even make any adjustments to the mag and hand loaded it each time. I'm curious to see how it holds up over time.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I would vote for eagle mags. They are cheap, about 3 for the price of one butler creek steel lip mag and they can hold up to me bumping my 10/22. I usualy get more dud rounds (federal bulk is my usual .22 blasting ammo cause its dirt cheap) than magazine jams.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#42]
not sure if i received a bad batch from CDNN but I order 10 eagle mags and all were crap.  All misfired.

anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#43]
How are they misfeeding for you?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Have to go with the Butler Creek mag, both HotLips and SteelLips.

Never had a problem with either, except I dropped one once too much and it split along the seem. I bought two more to replace it (I only had 4 to start with and this might be the start of a bad run of luck) and glued the original to see how long it lasted. That was 5 years ago, and I still have 6 mags all working flawlessly.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:04:23 AM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I'VE HAD A FEW RAMLINES THAT HAD HAD AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF ROUNDS THROUGH THEM AND THEY STILL FUCTION GREAT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#47]
No need to shout about it
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
not sure if i received a bad batch from CDNN but I order 10 eagle mags and all were crap.  All misfired.

anyone else have this problem?

not sure it was you or not but if not there was another member that started a similar thread about hi-caps and got the same feedback but decided to go ahead and buy ten mags at a time instead of trying one first.

no point in asking about a crappy item and going out and buying it anyways
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
1 - Newer smoke 50rd = 0%, can't even get it to hold more then 23 rounds

I had this problem as well, I found that I can make it hold 49 or 50, but I have to start filling by putting the first shell to the inside (the side of the follower that is closer to the springs) first, then the next one to the outside (follower opposite the springs).

YMMV.  I haven't been happy with mine either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I got a Butler Creek in 97 and it still works as good as new.  Of course, I've only put approx. 600 rds. or so through it.  That was right when they seemed to be drying up in this area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top