BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2005 5:10:56 PM EDT
Any good? I'm interested in a .22 for a plinker/varminter

Ben
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
My youngest son has one. It's quite accurate, despite the crappy trigger. The bolt can bind a little and isn't very smooth. The loading port doesn't accomodate large adult fumbling fingers too good. It's a bit short for a regular sized adult, though. I'd recommend something full sized, unless you've got a small frame or are just jones'en for a little gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the dirt cheap price appeals to me since I'm just a lowly Vet's assistant, although I'm pretty sure I could get a good price on a 10/22 from someone on here who's selling one.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
the walmarts near me have the carbine 10/22 for $160

imo a much better deal
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The original youth .22 bolt action.www.roguerifle.com/
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one I got for aout $50 on sale, sold it awhile back, never really fired it, wait until they do the post hunting season clearence.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Did the price go up? When I bought one last Xmas for my daughter it was $90ish
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#7]
They are great starter rifles for real small sized shooters.  I bought my youngest one (laminated stock) for his 4th or 5th brthday.  Shoots straight with the peep sights and there is a scope mount that replaces the rear sight.  Striker needs to be pull manually for each shot and thats also your safety.  As mentioned action port is a small area and you can not just drop a round into the feed area for there is no feed ramp.  You mush start round into chamber and then close bolt.  Very short and compact little rifle that weighs only 2.5 lbs.  If you are of average size then suggest something else.  WalMart also sales the Mossberg 702 Plinker for less which my son (now 11) has.  Thats a synthenic stock semi auto 22 LR with a 10 rd mag.

CD
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it made in CHINA?
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
At one of the PA walmarts I picked up a Savage MkII bolt-action .22LR with a 10 round mag and a crappy scope for $100.  It shoots a LOT better than I expected it to.  Went with the bolt over a semi because I like to shoot Subsonics and Colibris.

Trigger is heavy but crisp. Action is similarly heavy, but is wearing in nicely.  I had extraction issues more or less right out of the box, contacted Savage and had parts on my desk in 2 days and no issues since.  Would have been nice to have sling swivels, but that's a cheap upgrade.  The synthetic stock is heavy but feels nice enough.

I'd buy the gun again.. I like it
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I just saw one of those with synthetic stock at my local Wally World for $99 and was wondering about it.  My Marlin Model 60 is little too heavy for my son, and I was debating whether he should try the Win 67 or just get something a little smaller.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
There is another version called the "Chipmunk".  Steer away from this one.  When you work the bolt action, it does not cock the hammer.  You have to pull back on a knob to cock it, and it's kinda tough for little hands to pull on that.

Maybe if you wanted that extra safety feature it would be OK, but it's real annoying.  That's the whole purpose of a bolt action is to gain mechanical advantage.

My son didn't like shooting it much because of that.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The cricket is a knock off of the original Chipmunk(completely made in the USA).   The gun has fewer moving parts than a conventional bolt action.  There is no hammer.  When the cocking piece is pulled to the rear the sear engages a notch in the firing pin.  When the trigger is pulled the sear slides down and releases the firing pin to discharge the round.  The Chipmunks can be had in 22LR, 22WMR, 17HMR, and 17MachII.  Rogue Rifle Co offers right and left handed standard barrels, bull barrels, and pistols in blued or stainless steel.  There are also many stock variations from black synthetic, Advantage camo synthetic, birch, walnut, checkered walnut, deluxe walnut, and a skeletonized stock(called the Barracuda).  There is also a target version offered.  All parts are steel or stainless steel except the stocks.

If you wanted to gain mechanical advantage get a semi auto.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The original youth .22 bolt action.www.roguerifle.com/

entropy i noticed that rogue and you are from the same state, any connection?
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are looking for an inexpensive single shot .22lr, I'd look for an NEF Sportster.
I got mine in .17HMR at Gander Mtn. for 130.
BPS has them in .17mach2 on sale for the same price.

I don't know what the .22s go for, but they are listed on the website.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I've killed countless squirrels with my chipmunk in my younger days. If I had to give the gun a rating for young kids I would give it a 7 out of 10.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked one up for my daughter today.  She'll have to wait another year to use it when she's five.  I saw it for $99 and decided to get it.  My wife is pressuring me to fix it the way my daughter wants it, pink.  My wife suggested I do some kind of camo pattern with light and dark gray over a pink base.  Whatever gets her interested, I guess.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#17]
yeah my friend has a Marlin 982VS 22 from walmart, accurate, quite, and cheap.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#18]
You wanna pink style gun? cheeck into this gun the Crickett Model 226 Pink Laminate
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I had one I got for $50, sold it earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#20]
My 7 year olds rifle.

One round at a time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My 7 year olds rifle.

www.hunt101.com/img/310482-big.jpg

One round at a time.

Nice.  I was thinking of doing the same set up with a BSA red dot scope, but the BSA seems heavier than the rifle.  I'm thinking of going with the Hakko reflex sight.

Quoted:

Ben

Doesn't walmart have a Savage 22 in the same price range?  Might be a better fit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#22]
So are the Cricket rifles chinese made, and do you have to cock the hammer after working the bolt on them as well?  (looking for a first .22 for my 6 year old).
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So are the Cricket rifles chinese made, and do you have to cock the hammer after working the bolt on them as well?  (looking for a first .22 for my 6 year old).

Made in the USA by a small company in PA.  

www.crickett.com/Company/company.html

You do have to cock it after working the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#24]
You could get him an AR 7 for around 150.00. I believe Henry may have taken over the rights, and its a better quality gun than it used to be. HENRY

and HERE
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My 7 year olds rifle.

www.hunt101.com/img/310482-big.jpg

One round at a time.

Nice.  I was thinking of doing the same set up with a BSA red dot scope, but the BSA seems heavier than the rifle.  I'm thinking of going with the Hakko reflex sight.

Quoted:

Ben

Doesn't walmart have a Savage 22 in the same price range?  Might be a better fit.

That's the rifle I was talking about.  The Savage Mk II FXP:

I love mine. Comes with a chinese simmons 4x15 and some cheap rings, but the combo shoots good for what it is. It's big-boy sized though  Rifle was made in Canada though, and you know those Canucks
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, the Savage was $99.00 for a really good first rifle. I worked the trigger a little and it turned out better than stock. It is my 6 year old's first rifle. It is IMHO a perfect first rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top