Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 1:17:54 PM EDT
I don't have any experience with subsonic .22, but recently I've moved from the country to the outskirts of a medium sized town. In the country taking care of rodents with my 10/22 was easy enough. Now though, I would like to be a little more discrete taking out a couple of armadillos tearing up my yard.

Is a subsonic round the same length as a normal LR?

If it is, will it cycle a 10/22?

And if it does not, has anyone tinkered with the recoil spring setup on their 10/22?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of info over here in the 10/22 forum. I shoot Super Colibri in my 10/22. It doesn't cycle the action but they a very quiet.

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The Aguila SSS will cycle my Walther p22 and my 10/22 no problem.   The other ones I have tried will not: CBs and Remington Subsonic.   Yes the SSS are the same size as a regular 22lr but the casing looks about the size of a 22short with the rest of it being an extra long 60 grain slug.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the info I needed.

Thanks, guys.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Recently got a .22 can - all the "standard" velocity ammo (often advertised as target ammo) , and even some of the high velocity cheap bulk packs (got an occassional crack), has been subsonic in a 18" tube - at least here in PA in the summer, since it varies by environmental conditions.   Also used the Aguila ammo that is branded as subsonic (not the SSS) and it was perhaps a hair slower than standard, but not much.   It all cycled just dandy.

Edit: whoops, just realized I think you meant the powderless rounds (i.e., CB caps, etc.) and not subsonic.   The muzzle blast on anything simply labeled as "standard" or "subsonic" will still be quite loud, unsupressed.    The CB caps and similar don't have a chance of cycling a semi, and some don't recommend use in a rifle, since the bullet may not have enough energy to clear the bore.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]
subsonic has like 1/2 the powder of norm 22 it moves slower then speed of sound hence the subsonic (no crack)
honistly it depinds on the shape of your 10/22 and a reduced spring kit dosnt hurt there are few u can buy from ebay (1 is a pos so im me if u wanna buy and ill find email for good 1)
but best is to just feed about 2 feet of toilet paper into a 1 ltr bottle and tape it over barrel
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
but best is to just feed about 2 feet of toilet paper into a 1 ltr bottle and tape it over barrel

Quick way to become someone's punk in the pen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone is gonna get banned.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
subsonic has like 1/2 the powder of norm 22 it moves slower then speed of sound hence the subsonic (no crack)
honistly it depinds on the shape of your 10/22 and a reduced spring kit dosnt hurt there are few u can buy from ebay (1 is a pos so im me if u wanna buy and ill find email for good 1)

While that trick might be well-known, discussing or recommending building a silencer without proper governmental approval will get you BANNED here.

I'd advise not bringing that up again.

I'm NOT taking a position on the Constitutionality or UnConstitutionality of gun laws here.  I AM telling you that the admins don't like such talk in the light of possible public and governmental scrutiny.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got some aquila super colibri's from the gun show....tried it through my stock 10/22---does NOT cycle at all BUT is so quiet that it's not much louder than the noise of the hammer striking the pin....my wife thought it was going to go bang, but it didn't and she was like....cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top