Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2003 8:19:50 AM EDT
I have some 25N mags that need cleaning and I cant quite figure out how to take them apart. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you take it apart you ask?? Well, that's simple.... VERY CAREFULLY!! :) Sorry, I can't figure out how to take my 25N mag apart either. BTW- What kind of groups do you shoot with your 25N?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
With my 25N mags, I blast them with brake cleaner, put a couple of drops inside, cycle the mag spring with a pencil or ruler, then re-oil the exterior.

I honestly have never even thought about disassembling it.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly there's no way to get them apart short of drilling out the two intdentations in the floor plate that hold them in(assuming they're like the 25MN mags). You could depress the spring and use a Q-tip to clean and oil them if you really wanted to. The brake cleaner sounds like a good idea too. I've never cleaned the inside of mine honestly, but I keep the outside well oiled!

EDIT: I have instructions to shorten 25MN mags to 5 rounds(from 7) so they don't poke you in the ribs too bad. IM me if you want a copy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I got it apart. Finally.

Heres what you do.

Take a screwdriver and push the baseplate from the back toward the front (front = the rounded side) VERY GENTLY but frimly, it also helps to lift up the front alittle. When its almost off WATCH OUT the spring comes shooting out if your not careful (I spent 20 minutes looking for it). Its not that hard actually, its just that the mag is so small its hard to get a good grip on. I wiped it out, alot of lead shavings in there, oiled it and put it back together.

About the groups, Ive never shot it at targets lol. But I can hit cans at about 75yds offhand. Actually Ive never even takin it to a range...
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay, I got it apart. Finally.

Heres what you do.

Take a screwdriver and push the baseplate from the back toward the front (front = the rounded side) VERY GENTLY but frimly, it also helps to lift up the front alittle. When its almost off WATCH OUT the spring comes shooting out if your not careful (I spent 20 minutes looking for it). Its not that hard actually, its just that the mag is so small its hard to get a good grip on. I wiped it out, alot of lead shavings in there, oiled it and put it back together.

About the groups, Ive never shot it at targets lol. But I can hit cans at about 75yds offhand. Actually Ive never even takin it to a range...

Thanksfor the update! BTW I've only had 1 of my guns at an actual range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't bother taking them apart. Oil attracts dirt. I just rub an oily rag over the exterior then wipe them with a clean rag. Never had a hitch. I don't know about actual group measurements, but I sit 12 gauge empties lenghtwise (so you shoot at the primer) and I can hit the end 7/8 times at fifty yards. I don't know if that's any good or not.

I love my 25N.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
We, thats is my brothers had been hunting moles. The mag had a little bit more than the average amount of dirt on/in it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to put extras on my 25N. I already have a Simmons 4 by 32 scope on it. What else can I put on it? i.e.- Stocks, barrels, triggers...

BTW- I'm looking for a "tactical" look. :)

Also, how do you clean the bolt on your 25N??
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldnt worry about too many extras on any .22lr gun. In my experiance the accuracy dies off at about 115 yds.

If you want a tactical look go for an AR-15 ( I have an A2 model with no accessories). Im not much into the bling factor on my guns. All have iron sights and factory triggers. Scopes are OK but in my experiance they are always getting dirty and knocked out of alignment.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't understand the whole accessory craze. Most of my .22 are dual purpose...plinking and hunting. All but one have a scope. I'm only 24 but I can't see the irons like I used to so I do what I can...too many hours staring in at this here puter. Rifle Basix makes an adjustable trigger for Marlin bolt actions for ~$80. Some online places have them cheaper. You can float the bbl or bed it or whatever to try to improve the accuracy, but unless your shooting benchrest I doubt you'll see the difference. Fajen and a few other companies offer stocks...again not worth the $$ IMHO unless you just need a project. If that's the case by all means hop to it! "Tactical" is corny IMNSHO. ALthough some AR's look cool all pimped out!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Im 16 and wear glasses lol. It a matter of how often you exercise your eyes. Playing sports like baseball helps something where you have to change focus alot. There used to be a list of exercises on the ophtemologist (i speeld it wrong but whatever) of america website. I cant find it anymore though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I want to put extras on my 25N. I already have a Simmons 4 by 32 scope on it. What else can I put on it? i.e.- Stocks, barrels, triggers...

BTW- I'm looking for a "tactical" look. :)

Also, how do you clean the bolt on your 25N??

The front part pulls off when you rotate it to a certain point - you'll see what I mean. Also, there's a screw near the end that you can unscrew, but I wouldn't mess with it unless you really want to - IM me for details if you want to do it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Or try reading the MANUAL that came with the gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]
The MANUAL doesn't tell you how to take the bolt apart. It tells you how to take it out of the rifle, but not how to take it apart.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#15]
twist the front of the bolt and it will come loose. Then "De-cock" the rear. And unscrew the little screw. KEEP AN EYE ON IT! little bastich gets away from you easy. Then it pulls apart . reverse the order and re-cock the bolt to re-install into rifle. Preety simple really.

Also to lighten the trigger, go take out the lawyer spring by the sear and replace with a sprinf of the same length form a ball point push pen. Makes a decent little trigger job
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
twist the front of the bolt and it will come loose. Then "De-cock" the rear. And unscrew the little screw. KEEP AN EYE ON IT! little bastich gets away from you easy. Then it pulls apart . reverse the order and re-cock the bolt to re-install into rifle. Preety simple really.

Also to lighten the trigger, go take out the lawyer spring by the sear and replace with a sprinf of the same length form a ball point push pen. Makes a decent little trigger job

Neither me nor he-man EladEflow could recock the bolt with our hands. We put it in a vice in between some plywood. It's cake like that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Ya, I usually use my Leatherman wave to grip and twist the little bastard.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ya, I usually use my Leatherman wave to grip and twist the little bastard.

I felt like such a weakling after I did it in the vice. It was just like turning it while it's in the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top