Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2021 4:31:21 PM EDT
Are Altma Maritime Assault Boots good for powerlifting, squats, and basic CrossFit high intensity cardio workouts?

I figure they're probably not great for anything endurance cardio activities like running or rucking, but glad to hear from anyone who disagrees with me and has experience with them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a pair and hated them. I'll take Palladiums any day.

The Altama's had the weirdest damned pressure points along the instep, and the soles wear quickly. I only had mine a month, and the tread had worn noticeably. I only waked on concrete and asphalt. I hadn't even taken these on a trail. I got my money back. As for stability, they were fine, but Palladiums would be a better shoe for lifting. Breathability was okay.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear the Altamas in the gym regularly. mostly for squat and deadlift days as the flat soles are pretty solid for that type of stuff.

No real issues with them as gym shoes, but I would like to try the hi top NoBulls next
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you also post this question on Facebook in the Garand thumb church group (or whatever it’s called)?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you also post this question on Facebook in the Garand thumb church group (or whatever it’s called)?
View Quote

Ha, no, did someone there have the same exact question? If so, that's weird.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are Altma Maritime Assault Boots good for powerlifting, squats, and basic CrossFit high intensity cardio workouts?

I figure they're probably not great for anything endurance cardio activities like running or rucking, but glad to hear from anyone who disagrees with me and has experience with them.
View Quote
Probably not going to be great for burpees, rope climbs or box jumps. I've squatted and deadlifted in them before without issue.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they did lol. I thought that would be a strange coincidence. Turns out it was.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought their assault sneaks. If you have narrow feet you can probably go down a size, I regret not doing that, they could be slightly tighter. I also have big feet and I hate them looking any bigger than they have to
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought their assault sneaks. If you have narrow feet you can probably go down a size, I regret not doing that, they could be slightly tighter. I also have big feet and I hate them looking any bigger than they have to
View Quote
I wish they were wider at the toe box and I barely got a pair due to size 15 feet. Mine do look like skis. I have become accustomed to my Altra running shoes and really like the wide toe box.

I used the Altamas in a 10k run and gun and was hurting by the end, though I was glad for their ability to shed water, I was in a lot better shape than my friends regarding wet feet. I used Altra hikers in the next 10k and regretted it due to their inability to get rid of water, though they were more comfortable.

They have a stiff sole so deadlifting in them should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had 3 pairs now, 2 low tops and 1 high top. They all seem to last about 9-10 months of daily use. I'm on my feet all day and probably walk a far distance, but I'm not running or hiking in them. The heel area of the sole was the worst wear area and had started delaminating from the upper by that point.

I wore the first pair with the included insoles for about 3 months. They are not very supportive and at month three I chucked them and put in some off-the-shelf insoles and they felt much better. I understand the included ones are better for "water ops" but I'm not planning on doing any swimming in them, so they get replaced soon after I get a pair.

They do dry out quickly. I've worn them in the snow playing with my son, put them by the fire for an hour or two and they were completely dry. I've never totally immersed my feet, but the shoes getting soaked with dew or rain dry very quickly even when you're just walking in them.

As to your main question, I'm not sure as I don't really lift and don't do crossfit. However, I would not say they have fantastic grip or traction compared to a pair of cross trainers. They'd probably work fine for in a gym or on pavement.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had mine about a month.  I've worn them pretty much exclusively during that time.  About 3-4 days a week at the gym lifting.  (Cardio is latin for losing gainz)  They've been great for that.  I pretty much consider them ruggedized Chucks, which is exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I found them to be pretty narrow. I’m on the borderline of wide and regular. 80% of my footwear is regular width, but I do occasionally wear a wide, brand dependent. They have a normal to slightly above normal amount of arch support, which I’m not really into.

Also my feet sweat like crazy in these, which I found odd for a shoe designed specifically for wet environments.

I can’t speak to durability, since I gave up wearing them after a few weeks. I didn’t do anything really athletic in them, but I did walk between 4 and 6 miles every day I wore them.

A lot of my co-workers wear them. So I’m guessing it’s all pretty subjective. I have to wear tan or brown for work so I’ve been ordering hi top Vans from their custom shop. I also do my weight lifting in Vans and wear minimalist New Balance or Merrells when running.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top