Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2021 7:07:34 PM EDT
Im looking for a decent headlamp that has a physical red filter.  I dont want to have to click through led modes to turn on red when I need it.  Any leads on in stock items would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]

In the early 2010s we used colored overlay film taped over our old headlamps while waiting for our Tactikkas to come out to our COP.
Tactikkas are kinda dated in light output nowadays but the click-in light filters work ok.

Or this. Never tried but came up on the goog.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My black diamond stays in whatever filter color it was turned off on. If it's turned off in red mode, it's still in red lens mode when I turn it on again
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My black diamond stays in whatever filter color it was turned off on. If it's turned off in red mode, it's still in red lens mode when I turn it on again
View Quote

This. Or Princeton Tech Remix defaults to the red lens when you turn it on.

Relatively cheap headlamp but it has survived a multitude of army schools for me.

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re asking for but I’d use something like this over a filter that can get lost.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Relatively cheap headlamp but it has survived a multitude of army schools for me.

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re asking for but I’d use something like this over a filter that can get lost.
View Quote

@JTX23   I've got a princeton tech remix & its pretty nice, my only complaint is the batter clip breaks easily.  If they made it with a screw on cap (with a waterproof rating) it might be the best headlamp ever.  I've used & abused mine with all sorts of camping and hunting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Princeton Tec quad LED has a slide down red filter.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't fit your wants specifically but, I have a Petzl Tactikka and it's a long press on the button to swap from red to white, no cycling through modes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a BIG Princeton Tec fan, they make great products.  I just would never purchase directly from them again after they messed up an order I did with (wrong color that didn't match and then fixing that tiny issue was like a bureaucratic mess never seen something so simple made so complex).   Just my one experience though so YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Doesn't fit your wants specifically but, I have a Petzl Tactikka and it's a long press on the button to swap from red to white, no cycling through modes.
View Quote

My tactika has sliding replaceable filters.
But it looks like it may be discontinued.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/products/images/xlarge/9546300_1007.jpg
Princeton Tec quad LED has a slide down red filter.
View Quote

I have one of those

works great
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Another "not exactly asked for" option: Nitecore HC65 is Deep Press and Hold for instant Red.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Petzl with a flip up red lens. It’s not waterproof and they had to send me a new back because it cracked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks like the Princeton Tec Quad was the solution that I was looking for but based on your comments about the Remix RGB defaulting to red as well as offering green and blue I decided to go that route.  I am getting a headlamp for my wife as well so I might try something different with that one to compare and contrast.  If I do Ill post any functional differences I notice between the two so it can help anyone else who finds the thread.  I appreciate everyone taking the time to post.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Again, not exactly what you asked about but I have one made by energizer that has a 3 way switch.
Middle is off, one side white, other side red.
No multi mode, no cycling, just on or off. Red or white.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
The old Petzl Tactikka, Tikka and Zipka headlamps had physical filters. My Zipka eventually fell apart and I had a three filter set for it  but I still have a Tactikka and the filter is integral to that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, love mine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top