Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2018 1:58:43 PM EDT
I am confused as to the whole Safariland system.
So could some one recommend the appropriate als holster for a warbelt and a Glock 19. I may put a light on the glock so that is a requirement

Thanks in advance..
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
go to https://holsterops.com/

for starters instead of Safariland's website. I agree thier models and certain websites can be mislabeled and confusing. If you call them they are super helpful too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
6354do is what you want. It’s setup for rds if you ever decide to add one, get the 34 length if you plan to use an extended barrel or comp.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
6378 if you don't plan to use a red dot in the near future, 6378USN if you wanna be sexy with the cordura wrap.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you don't really use the gear,  stay away from the 6354 DO and all nylon covered Safariland holsters for that matter I have 3 of the 6354DO holsters and they wear horribly, faster than all other holster finishes ever. The open red dot window on the 6354 DO lets crap get all over your lens on your red dot. Its a VERY first gen type of solution for a RDS.

The 6390RDS in STX FDE finish is what you want for a warbelt. That holster is lightyears beyond the 6354DO, works with Gen5 Glocks, has a swing hood to keep crap out of your optic window, has an indestructible finish you could use daily for 15 years and look new, and is built like a brick shithouse. Also dont forget a 6006 guard for the ALS unless you don't use a rifle.

If I could afford it, I'd trade ALL my Safariland holsters to variations of that holster with 6006 guard. I have 8 Safariland holsters in the inventory right now and I'd get all 3 current colors (STX FDE, STX Black, STX Basketweave) for my duty belt, CID paddle, and tactical war belt needs if I had a spare $1000 laying around. Holster Ops is the place to buy. $125 for the holster bit more for the 6006 guard that deletes that stupid chop block. 2" belt loop works with any micro warbelt. Also get the extra plugs in case you run a threaded barrel later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone.. I'm on a tight budget so am shopping for deals.
I work a second part time job as an instructor and part of it entails holster training. Students show up with some of the worst gear. I find by giving hands on instruction works best. Safariland is my weak area. And it's also a holster I would like to own for my own personal gear.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you don't really use the gear,  stay away from the 6354 DO and all nylon covered Safariland holsters for that matter I have 3 of the 6354DO holsters and they wear horribly, faster than all other holster finishes ever. The open red dot window on the 6354 DO lets crap get all over your lens on your red dot. Its a VERY first gen type of solution for a RDS.

The 6390RDS in STX FDE finish is what you want for a warbelt. That holster is lightyears beyond the 6354DO, works with Gen5 Glocks, has a swing hood to keep crap out of your optic window, has an indestructible finish you could use daily for 15 years and look new, and is built like a brick shithouse. Also dont forget a 6006 guard for the ALS unless you don't use a rifle.

If I could afford it, I'd trade ALL my Safariland holsters to variations of that holster with 6006 guard. I have 8 Safariland holsters in the inventory right now and I'd get all 3 current colors (STX FDE, STX Black, STX Basketweave) for my duty belt, CID paddle, and tactical war belt needs if I had a spare $1000 laying around. Holster Ops is the place to buy. $125 for the holster bit more for the 6006 guard that deletes that stupid chop block. 2" belt loop works with any micro warbelt. Also get the extra plugs in case you run a threaded barrel later.
View Quote
Would you recommend mid or low ride?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
6004 but choke it up close to your waistline ... don't wear it down on your thigh like they do in the movies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Would you recommend mid or low ride?
View Quote
Mid and this is coming from someone who went full circle over the years from mid, to low, to 6004 drop double strap thigh rig, up to single strap 6004 thigh rig, back to low, and now back to mid. With a modern plate carrier (not a soft vest or combo soft vest with plates) and a slick strong side cummerbund, you dont need a lower mounted holster. The lower you mount it, the more you have movement and flop issues. Your holster is automatically 1" lower than an ALS / SLS combination holster already. At most, I'd drop your 19 by an inch, but start mid ride. The lowest Safariland belt loop plate really needs the single leg strap mod or you have to run around holding the top of your holster with your strong hand and it pokes into seat bottoms. Lower holsters also get progressively more difficult to use in a car and wear through the bottom side seat bolster if you wear them daily. Lower ride holsters look cooler, but a mid is more practical if you can get it to work. No part of your belt should be higher than your highest part of your handgun, and for me, I like the back/top of a Glock slide 1-2" higher than the top of my belt. It keeps my pistol from moving or flopping on the run, does not poke car seats or lift my belt when sested, and does not get in the way of my plate carrier.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
110% accurate, especially about the 6354 being a piece of shit.

I love my 6390RDS. Op should check out the 7ts series of holsters as well if you're not going to use a red dot
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of good advice..
Thank you all..It has really made my choice easier.
Now hopefully we have some good Labor Day sales.,
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lots of good advice..
Thank you all..It has really made my choice easier.
Now hopefully we have some good Labor Day sales.,
View Quote
Holsterops.com usually has something going on, sign up for their mailing list
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Was looking at eBay...Found this and wondered if I could convert this..Cause I am on a budget and this is dirt cheapAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was looking at eBay...Found this and wondered if I could convert this..Cause I am on a budget and this is dirt cheaphttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33970/IMG_1402-655545.JPG
View Quote
That's a simple ALS "concealment" model.  You can swap out the paddle for any other Safariland belt mount platform and use it on a duty type belt.  However, you said being able to use a light was important, and that model would obviously not accept the light.  Also would not allow the use of a red dot optic, if you wanted that option.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's a simple ALS "concealment" model.  You can swap out the paddle for any other Safariland belt mount platform and use it on a duty type belt.  However, you said being able to use a light was important, and that model would obviously not accept the light.  Also would not allow the use of a red dot optic, if you wanted that option.
View Quote
It's 25 bucks..soo I'm thinking it maybe a worthwhile investment get used to the ALS and if I lke it swing for the best around Christmas....
Hear that honey!!!
In case my wife peeks in here...
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
You could mount that to a UBL high or mid ride belt mount, your preference.  Do note however that with this holster the mounting points are such that it gives that aggressive forward cant to the gun since it's their concealment model.  The UBL mounts only have one set of mounting holes so they cannot adjust the cant of the holster.

If you wanted to adjust the cant to get more of a straight drop with this holster, you could add the QLS quick detach plate and fork between the holster and belt mount, as it allows some cant adjustment.  Just something to keep in mind, if the forward can't doesn't bother you than it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You could mount that to a UBL high or mid ride belt mount, your preference.  Do note however that with this holster the mounting points are such that it gives that aggressive forward cant to the gun since it's their concealment model.  The UBL mounts only have one set of mounting holes so they cannot adjust the cant of the holster.

If you wanted to adjust the cant to get more of a straight drop with this holster, you could add the QLS quick detach plate and fork between the holster and belt mount, as it allows some cant adjustment.  Just something to keep in mind, if the forward can't doesn't bother you than it's no big deal.
View Quote
Well that changes everything.. I'm going to pass on it..
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup, no light available with the concealment holster either.

7ts if you don't want to use a red dot, the 6390 RDS model if you plan to
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#18]
As suggested I also looked at the 7TS models and like them..
Pro's? Con's?
Holsterops has 15% off this weekend.
I'm looking at this one..Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As suggested I also looked at the 7TS models and like them..
Pro's? Con's?
Holsterops has 15% off this weekend.
I'm looking at this one..https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33970/IMG_1403-656651.JPG
View Quote
Still in the concealment line like the other one you posted. That being said I use a 6378 on my battle belt and it works fine for me with a ubl mid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#20]
In the nose of a Safariland holster there is a block with a plastic pin that goes up your barrel hole to keep the nose of your pistol in place to make sure the ALS system wont let the gun move too much, especially in a light holster with no light on the gun. In the traditional holsters, this is held with a bolt/screw. It wont move and is how holsterops is able to sell you additional block set ups for extended or threaded barrels. In the 7TS, the shell of the holster is one piece and folded. The nose/barrel centering block is held in by only the body of the holster.  Notice no screw or bolt in the nose of that 7TS pic above? The 7TS is alao a flimsier body, like that paddle holster that uses thinner kydex you thought about buying. So if you ever reholster or draw hard and at a wierd angle, yiu can push the centering pin and the whole block can rotate in the nose of the holster. This can cause you to either nit be able to rehokster or not draw your gun out of ghe holster. Both of those have happened to me in training. Additionally, kydex holsters are easier to heat and remold or precisely cut if you need to make a small modification.  Many current Safariland holsters wont fit a Surefire X300 pressure switch. Much easier to make it fit on a kydex holster with a heat gun and butter knife. I have a 7TS holster for a light and no dot sight for a S&W M&P and a 7TS Light and RDS version for a Glock 17 Gen 4 with a DPP, but I wont he buying another 7TS unless the nose block is bolted in, it is Gen 5 compatible for a Glock, and I am OK with no tape switch.

Also, you will love the ALS system, guaranteed. Buy that holster and buy a 6006 guard and QLS fork and plate. I use that exact set up with a light as my daily holster working as a detective. Buy the 6006 guard and QLS fork and plate off Amazon. If you dont like it within a month, keep your receipts and I will pay you 100% of what you paid for it if you pay to ship it to me. I would like a non light holster for more concealed use anyway. Alternatively, buy the big, full on FDE RDS set up from holsterops I reccomended and if you dont like that I will also buy it at 90% of your cost within a month if you dont like it. You pay shipping.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the nose of a Safariland holster there is a block with a plastic pin that goes up your barrel hole to keep the nose of your pistol in place to make sure the ALS system wont let the gun move too much, especially in a light holster with no light on the gun. In the traditional holsters, this is held with a bolt/screw. It wont move and is how holsterops is able to sell you additional block set ups for extended or threaded barrels. In the 7TS, the shell of the holster is one piece and folded. The nose/barrel centering block is held in by only the body of the holster.  Notice no screw or bolt in the nose of that 7TS pic above? The 7TS is alao a flimsier body, like that paddle holster that uses thinner kydex you thought about buying. So if you ever reholster or draw hard and at a wierd angle, yiu can push the centering pin and the whole block can rotate in the nose of the holster. This can cause you to either nit be able to rehokster or not draw your gun out of ghe holster. Both of those have happened to me in training. Additionally, kydex holsters are easier to heat and remold or precisely cut if you need to make a small modification.  Many current Safariland holsters wont fit a Surefire X300 pressure switch. Much easier to make it fit on a kydex holster with a heat gun and butter knife. I have a 7TS holster for a light and no dot sight for a S&W M&P and a 7TS Light and RDS version for a Glock 17 Gen 4 with a DPP, but I wont he buying another 7TS unless the nose block is bolted in, it is Gen 5 compatible for a Glock, and I am OK with no tape switch.

Also, you will love the ALS system, guaranteed. Buy that holster and buy a 6006 guard and QLS fork and plate. I use that exact set up with a light as my daily holster working as a detective. Buy the 6006 guard and QLS fork and plate off Amazon. If you dont like it within a month, keep your receipts and I will pay you 100% of what you paid for it if you pay to ship it to me. I would like a non light holster for more concealed use anyway. Alternatively, buy the big, full on FDE RDS set up from holsterops I reccomended and if you dont like that I will also buy it at 90% of your cost within a month if you dont like it. You pay shipping.
View Quote
This sells it for me..
Thank you for the information ..
I'll let you know when I get it how I like it.,
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Ordered the 6390..Without light though. Changed my mind on that based on my training. My instructor does not like lights on handguns. This may change for me but for now I will stick to a stock sight no light Glock 19 in what I hope will be a very good holster.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Lots of good ideas and options listed. Because of this thread I went with a 6390RDS, can't wait to try it out. Now to finish customizing my Glock 19.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#24]
The waiting is the hardest part...
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#25]
What instructor does not like lights on handguns? It only takes one night / low light shooting class to realize how big of a pain in the ass it is to run a light in one hand and a gun in the other. With a handgun mounted light it is like cheating in comparison. Not liking red dots I could get... requires its own skill set and if you are highly trained with irons it is slower at first, until you put in the time with the mini red dot, but not liking lights on pistols? Sounds like an instructor that has not shot in the dark. I would question anything that person might try to teach you. Handgun lights are not allowed in most competitions because they speed your shooting in low light, but also during the day, by reducing muzzle rise. I am a firearms instructor for my PD and I can say without reservation the only people who dont run a handgun light are the non shooter types who cant shoot well, have no interest in learning anything gun related, and also dont work night shift. It is literally considered cheating via adding weight to the handgun where as it just feels like cheating in a low light class. I'd change that order if you are buying new. If you bought that used holster, its no big deal for $25. Just dont forget the 6006 flip guard. They are not pushed by the mainstream yet and can really save your bacon if you are running and something hits the ALS button.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What instructor does not like lights on handguns? It only takes one night / low light shooting class to realize how big of a pain in the ass it is to run a light in one hand and a gun in the other. With a handgun mounted light it is like cheating in comparison. Not liking red dots I could get... requires its own skill set and if you are highly trained with irons it is slower at first, until you put in the time with the mini red dot, but not liking lights on pistols? Sounds like an instructor that has not shot in the dark. I would question anything that person might try to teach you. Handgun lights are not allowed in most competitions because they speed your shooting in low light, but also during the day, by reducing muzzle rise. I am a firearms instructor for my PD and I can say without reservation the only people who dont run a handgun light are the non shooter types who cant shoot well, have no interest in learning anything gun related, and also dont work night shift. It is literally considered cheating via adding weight to the handgun where as it just feels like cheating in a low light class. I'd change that order if you are buying new. If you bought that used holster, its no big deal for $25. Just dont forget the 6006 flip guard. They are not pushed by the mainstream yet and can really save your bacon if you are running and something hits the ALS button.
View Quote
My instructor
Army 75th Airborne
Ranger
Vietnam vet with combat
Chicago PD 6 years working on the south side.
He taught me you point a pistol at someone in the dark
As he has had to in the Cabrini green projects
That gives your opponent a target to aim back at.
If you use a handheld light and hold it away from your body your opponent will more likely miss.

Me
USNR
ET
No combat experience
Worked on radio transmitters
Figured he knows something I don't and I listened
Your experience and knowledge is also something I would listen to as well
My 19 has a rail..
And you can never have to many holsters
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My instructor
Army 75th Airborne
Ranger
Vietnam vet with combat
If you use a handheld light and hold it away from your body your opponent will more likely miss.

Me
USNR
ET
No combat experience
My 19 has a rail..
View Quote
Great players don't always make great coaches. It's a good idea to diversify who you train with also.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My instructor
Army 75th Airborne
Ranger
Vietnam vet with combat

Me
USNR
ET
No combat experience
My 19 has a rail..
View Quote
Seriously... this guy has some really outdated and just WRONG ideas. It is like the guys who were iron sight proponents in 2000 saying those new Aimpoint red dots are electronic sights that fail and should not be on a combat rifle, or no sling guys that are used to only shoulder carry slings.  Like all defensive combat training you should train with lots of people and take what works for you from each one to create your own unique system, be it grappling, striking, firearms, etc. But those ideas are cringe worthy WRONG. The top guys we train with locally are HPD SWAT and they test and train continually in the shoot house with sims and do a crap ton of live ops and reevaluate gear and techniques and change something every year. Weapon lights are not even a question. This is not a muzzle up vs muzzle down, front tritium vs front and rear tritium sight, or stick to wall and let guy come in on your inside shoulder on room entry vs. make a path for him to come behind and go weak side to dominate the room type of thing. His ideas on weaponlights are as wrong as keeping your finger on the trigger with the safety off. Please keep that in mind.

We are way off topic here but consider this. You pop a guy with light and move... he is blind, and you just have less adapted vision but can see, and you have a mental snapshot of where he is and can move while he is blind. If he shoots at where you were, you get to shoot at muzzle flashes from a blind man in concealment. If he does not, you can pop him in the face with light again from cover and he can't even stand to look at the light to shoot at it accurately much less when it goes off and he is blind as a bat while you are moving and shooting and getting to new cover. Not to mention shoot/no shoot scenarios, target ID etc. Realize that 90% of the time you are ACTIVELY using a weaponlight, it is OFF. You want to control their vision and allow you to see at will. Dark adapted vision makes weaponlights even MORE effective. Once you get some basic shooting advice please pay for just ONE low light shooting class. Im sure you will see the light.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Seriously... this guy has some really outdated and just WRONG ideas. It is like the guys who were iron sight proponents in 2000 saying those new Aimpoint red dots are electronic sights that fail and should not be on a combat rifle, or no sling guys that are used to only shoulder carry slings.  Like all defensive combat training you should train with lots of people and take what works for you from each one to create your own unique system, be it grappling, striking, firearms, etc. But those ideas are cringe worthy WRONG. The top guys we train with locally are HPD SWAT and they test and train continually in the shoot house with sims and do a crap ton of live ops and reevaluate gear and techniques and change something every year. Weapon lights are not even a question. This is not a muzzle up vs muzzle down, front tritium vs front and rear tritium sight, or stick to wall and let guy come in on your inside shoulder on room entry vs. make a path for him to come behind and go weak side to dominate the room type of thing. His ideas on weaponlights are as wrong as keeping your finger on the trigger with the safety off. Please keep that in mind.

We are way off topic here but consider this. You pop a guy with light and move... he is blind, and you just have less adapted vision but can see, and you have a mental snapshot of where he is and can move while he is blind. If he shoots at where you were, you get to shoot at muzzle flashes from a blind man in concealment. If he does not, you can pop him in the face with light again from cover and he can't even stand to look at the light to shoot at it accurately much less when it goes off and he is blind as a bat while you are moving and shooting and getting to new cover. Not to mention shoot/no shoot scenarios, target ID etc. Realize that 90% of the time you are ACTIVELY using a weaponlight, it is OFF. You want to control their vision and allow you to see at will. Dark adapted vision makes weaponlights even MORE effective. Once you get some basic shooting advice please pay for just ONE low light shooting class. Im sure you will see the light.
View Quote
Thank you for the advice. learning to shoot with a weapons light on the  handgun will be in my plans for the future. I do have a light on my AR15. one thing about my instructor. He trains mainly civilians who will be carrying concealed. Few if any of us will be in any type of active shooter room to room fighting in low or no light with a handgun. At home in the dark would be an exception to that. And all that training has been with the light handheld. Bear with me here. This rig that this holster is going on would be used in a disastrous situation. Think Katrina. Think riots moving through Chicago. Think natural disaster. Or the ole standby...Zombie Apocalypse....At which time I would also have a rifle as my main weapon. And that does have a light on it. Which i need to train with. Most Carbine classes and matches are outdoors in the daylight. So training there has been scarce. I'm a work in progress and do not profess to be any where near a SWAT Team level of proficiency. And i very much appreciate your advice
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thank you for the advice. learning to shoot with a weapons light on the  handgun will be in my plans for the future. I do have a light on my AR15. one thing about my instructor. He trains mainly civilians who will be carrying concealed. Few if any of us will be in any type of active shooter room to room fighting in low or no light with a handgun. At home in the dark would be an exception to that. And all that training has been with the light handheld. Bear with me here. This rig that this holster is going on would be used in a disastrous situation. Think Katrina. Think riots moving through Chicago. Think natural disaster. Or the ole standby...Zombie Apocalypse....At which time I would also have a rifle as my main weapon. And that does have a light on it. Which i need to train with. Most Carbine classes and matches are outdoors in the daylight. So training there has been scarce. I'm a work in progress and do not profess to be any where near a SWAT Team level of proficiency. And i very much appreciate your advice
View Quote
I would argue having a wml on your CCW gun is even more important....unless you never leave your house after dark. It's always good to get training / advice from multiple people.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would argue having a wml on your CCW gun is even more important....unless you never leave your house after dark. It's always good to get training / advice from multiple people.
View Quote
I'm a skinny guy. Adding a light to the gun makes it impossible to conceal well.
So a small handheld light is really the best option there.
But I'm always open to other options.
And will never pass up a learning experience
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I see at least one more holster in my near future.
Thank you to all who are offering their help..
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm a skinny guy. Adding a light to the gun makes it impossible to conceal well.
So a small handheld light is really the best option there.
But I'm always open to other options.
And will never pass up a learning experience
View Quote
FWIW...I carry a G19 with an APLc on it.  I noticed no difference in ability to conceal with or without the light.

I started in this thread because I'm looking for a Safariland for my range belt...so I appreciate all the suggestions!
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

FWIW...I carry a G19 with an APLc on it.  I noticed no difference in ability to conceal with or without the light.

I started in this thread because I'm looking for a Safariland for my range belt...so I appreciate all the suggestions!
View Quote
I'm impressed! I carry a G26 AIWB in the summer here and sometimes have trouble with it printing under a tee shirt..
In the winter here I could CCW a Desert Eagle..
For me it's all about attire..
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm impressed! I carry a G26 AIWB in the summer here and sometimes have trouble with it printing under a tee shirt..
In the winter here I could CCW a Desert Eagle..
For me it's all about attire..
View Quote
I’ve found that ccw holsters with some type of claw attachment, makes most of my guns damn near invisible.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having lived in and worked Katrina.  We had no electricity.- weapon lights ( both pistol and rifle ) and hand heads were utilized all the time depending on situation.   Sometimes discretion is needed and pistol mounted light will be advantageous   As a LEO, having a rifle at all times was a non issue.  As an ordinary joe, not so much- think ad hoc  home repairs during incident where a rifle may get in the way, going to a FEMA food/water drop......
You should also be prepared for an active shooter situation - not saying you should seek out and engage the threat, but get your family out safely   If you don’t want a light in your CCW , fine but have a handheld.  I carry a gun for a living and have for a long time.  I always have handheld and use that way more than my pistol
There are some tiny weapon lights out there that don’t add much bulk to a pistol.  I run an X300 on my Glock    If you are small guy, try IWB
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like you and agree 100%.  My old department denied letting us use weapon mounted lights for a long time because “y’all will use your pistol as a flashlight” type nonsense.... I think they changed policies a couple years (and chiefs) later
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I carry a G19 with APL-C and a spare mag in cooler weather, a shield with a TLR-6 in warm weather, and a G42 in really hot weather when I can't be bothered with anything heavier. I always advocate having a light on the gun, but sometimes it just gets too damn hot for me to care. I know, I'm a naughty boy
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I like you and agree 100%.  My old department denied letting us use weapon mounted lights for a long time because “y’all will use your pistol as a flashlight” type nonsense.... I think they changed policies a couple years (and chiefs) later
View Quote
I'm in the air force. We're about to get the M18 which has a rail and big blue still won't let us hang a light on it. I had to get into a shouting match with one of the S4 guys in my unit (in front of my commander no less) just to be able to put a personal mini-scout on my M4, even though all variations of both the M300 and M600 are 100% authorized according to regs. Some people and departments are resistant to good ideas.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have seen this policy in numerous agencies.  It’s antiquated thinking and training issues - what has usually hindered LE
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#41]
What light would you guys recommend for a G19? This thread has peaked my interest in at the very least familiarizing myself with a pistol mounted light
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#42]
It'll go out a long way past the end of the barrel, but your best bet for a "duty" light is pretty much universally agreed to be an X300U. You can find them for under $200 if you look hard. If you're looking for concealable options, I've been using an Inforce APL-C with mine and haven't had any problems, but I kind of wish I'd waited for the TLR-7.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It'll go out a long way past the end of the barrel, but your best bet for a "duty" light is pretty much universally agreed to be an X300U. You can find them for under $200 if you look hard. If you're looking for concealable options, I've been using an Inforce APL-C with mine and haven't had any problems, but I kind of wish I'd waited for the TLR-7.
View Quote
My APLc has been through multiple classes and held up great....I've heard good things about the TLR7 as well. If your thinking of using it for CCW....might check holster options before picking which light.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the tips. I will look into those.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips. I will look into those.
View Quote
If you have a good, high output light you can try an experiment. Take that light and shine it in your eyes via a mirror or have a buddy do it and try aiming at the light. If you don’t have one I can save you the effort: everything turns white and it physically hurts. There’s no bad guy aiming at the light or you just giving your position away when you put a well made, high output WML in someone’s face. The old 60 lumen types or the small, floodier lights that have come out you might be able to do that with but even my older X300U puts out 600 lumens with a pretty great hotspot and you’re not seeing through it.

As for recommendations I’m a Surefire fanboy so I’d say X300U. There are a ton of holsters out there for Glock/Surefire combos but there’s two I’ve used:

The Keroman is bulky BUT you’re carrying a huge two cell duty light so that kinda goes with the territory. It’s surprisingly comfortable and conceals quite well for what it is. It also does a great job enclosing the trigger which isn’t always the case with WML conpatible holsters.

Attachment Attached File

Raven’s Vanguard is a quick and easy holster but it’s not as comfortable, doesn’t conceal as well, and it wouldn’t be advisable for long use or training with.

Attachment Attached File

You could also take a look at JM Custom Kydex, they do great work although I’ve never used an X300U model from them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Got my holster.....After some practice.....All I can say is..........Why would anyone purchase any other holster???....This thing is the shizzle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I have tried many safariland holsters.........the 7ts is hands down the best, with and without light
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My instructor
Army 75th Airborne
Ranger
Vietnam vet with combat

Me
USNR
ET
No combat experience
My 19 has a rail..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My instructor
Army 75th Airborne
Ranger
Vietnam vet with combat

Me
USNR
ET
No combat experience
My 19 has a rail..
I've been a LE/MIL/CIV Firearms Instructor since 1979.  If your instuctor is teaching based on "what he likes" and his gear and tactics are that old, you need a new instructor.

The flashlight out to your side to draw your opponent's fire is from Street Survial School in 1980, and it's stupid.  No one shoots at the flashlight.  You light yourself up trying to find what you're wanting to illuminate.  And  aiming a pistol and a separate light, at the same time, are two fine motor skills fighting each other.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've been a LE/MIL/CIV Firearms Instructor since 1979.  If your instuctor is teaching based on "what he likes" and his gear and tactics are that old, you need a new instructor.

The flashlight out to your side to draw your opponent's fire is from Street Survial School in 1980, and it's stupid.  No one shoots at the flashlight.  You light yourself up trying to find what you're wanting to illuminate.  And  aiming a pistol and a separate light, at the same time, are two fine motor skills fighting each other.
View Quote
We  have covered this fairly well. In the near future I do intend to train with a weapons light mounted to my pistol. I do currently have one mounted to my HD AR and have a little training with that...So please bear with me...You guys do have me heading in your recommended direction. Some guy's are still stuck in the 70's and that's a fact.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Some people like the slightly more affordable, slightly less robust, slightly higher output Streamlight weapon lights with hold left lever down to get temporary/intermittent light activation.

I like the Surefire X300 with push forward temporary activation, the quick attach/detach spring loaded bar attachment version specigically, so it can be my backup rifle light or backup handheld.

I have 6 Surefire X300s. No Streamlight pistol lights. Purely a preference thing.

No APL or other pistol lights in inventory.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top