Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2017 8:08:18 PM EDT
so i switched over to a 7390 safariland holster, really loving it so far but id like to get it multicam wrapped like my outgoing 6354DO.

Anyone have a source on what material is used and where i can get some?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested too ,following..
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for hydrodip supplies?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for hydrodip supplies?
View Quote
I thought that's what he meant when I opened this thread the first time, but I looked up what his old holster is and it's literally wrapped in nylon. Why Safariland doesn't dip them is beyond me. Seems kinda weird. They mention UV protection but beyond that I don't get it.

OP, I would recommend dipping it if you can stand to part with the cordura. Wouldn't even know where to begin with attaching nylon to a holster and dipping will get you whatever camo/color you want. 
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I thought that's what he meant when I opened this thread the first time, but I looked up what his old holster is and it's literally wrapped in nylon. Why Safariland doesn't dip them is beyond me. Seems kinda weird. They mention UV protection but beyond that I don't get it.

OP, I would recommend dipping it if you can stand to part with the cordura. Wouldn't even know where to begin with attaching nylon to a holster and dipping will get you whatever camo/color you want. 
View Quote
they did it for reduced IR signature i believe.

it just so happened to look cool when they were done.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm fairly certain its 500d cordura glued to the holster body.
I'd be more interested in what adhesive they use to keep it there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm fairly certain its 500d cordura glued to the holster body.
I'd be more interested in what adhesive they use to keep it there.
View Quote
This.  Its cordura glued to the kydex. It's done when the kydex is formed to the gun to get it to form fit, trying to glue it now that the holster is already formed will be difficult to do without a lot of wrinkles in the fabric.

There's examples of people doing it in the DIY kydex thread in the survival forum.  I've done it myself and used shoe-goo to glue the fabric to the kydex, heating and pressing it before the glue sets, then leave everything in the kydex press to let it cool and the glue to set.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.  Its cordura glued to the kydex. It's done when the kydex is formed to the gun to get it to form fit, trying to glue it now that the holster is already formed will be difficult to do without a lot of wrinkles in the fabric.

There's examples of people doing it in the DIY kydex thread in the survival forum.  I've done it myself and used shoe-goo to glue the fabric to the kydex, heating and pressing it before the glue sets, then leave everything in the kydex press to let it cool and the glue to set.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6gqc55ib0ceftt/589007.png?raw=1
View Quote
thanks, i figured i would need a foam press or similar to get it to not look like every other project that involves glue that ive ever done. (hint, a paraplegic retarded monkey was probably better than me at arts and crafts in school)

Any source on where to get some multicam cordura?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

thanks, i figured i would need a foam press or similar to get it to not look like every other project that involves glue that ive ever done. (hint, a paraplegic retarded monkey was probably better than me at arts and crafts in school)

View Quote
rockywoods.com is probably a good place to check.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
How much are you interested in?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How much are you interested in?
View Quote
I doubt I'll need a lot for the holster but if I have to buy a lot I'm sure I could come up with other uses for it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I could sell you enough for the holster if you don't feel like buying a whole yard from RW. Send email if interested.

I've found that roughing up the back of the fabric with like 80 grit sandpaper tends to help with adhesion (haven't tried it on kydex though).
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an old pair of multicam USGI pants, the FR ones, that had a blown out crotch.  I made em into shorts.

Later I decided to wrap an old holster with the leg bottoms.  This was for an ancient duty holster, the 6004.  It's a simple design, a literal gun bucket so there wasn't a ton of detail that had to be pressed in.

I used spray adhesive, following the directions for a permanent bond, which involved spraying both the holster body and the fabric.  Of course I disassembled the holster first, sprayed and applied.  I smoothed out the wrinkles with my hands and a plastic butter knife.  I was lazy and left the ankle drawstrings to better protect the gun light.

I didn't really care too much about how it looked, this was for a backcountry duty holster but it came out decent enough.  It also proved pretty durable and has lasted 2 years of patrolling and training, rain or shine.  

ETA:  found a pictureAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had an old pair of multicam USGI pants, the FR ones, that had a blown out crotch.  I made em into shorts.

Later I decided to wrap an old holster with the leg bottoms.  This was for an ancient duty holster, the 6004.  It's a simple design, a literal gun bucket so there wasn't a ton of detail that had to be pressed in.

I used spray adhesive, following the directions for a permanent bond, which involved spraying both the holster body and the fabric.  Of course I disassembled the holster first, sprayed and applied.  I smoothed out the wrinkles with my hands and a plastic butter knife.  I was lazy and left the ankle drawstrings to better protect the gun light.

I didn't really care too much about how it looked, this was for a backcountry duty holster but it came out decent enough.  It also proved pretty durable and has lasted 2 years of patrolling and training, rain or shine.  

ETA:  found a picturehttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241310/image-336848.JPG
View Quote
NY/CO fabric (what you used) is probably a better option, over 500D, for this project since the adhesive will form a stronger bond. 500D has a urethane coating on the back that can make good, permanent adhesion tricky.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#15]
GunSkins offers quality vinyl wraps in various patterns. Their 'Military OCP' is very close to true MultiCam
https://www.gunskins.com/products/gear-skin?variant=7843842627
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I used 500d Multicam (330d works, too), 3M industrial spray adhesive and Tandy Leather Craftool Plastic Bone Folder to repurpose a foliage green S-land M9  6004.  I imagine you could use a wooden tongue depressor or popsickle stick with the end sanded smooth to work the bubbles out of the fabric and stretch the fabric into the crevices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top