Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2017 4:06:57 PM EDT
Like the title says, I've finally saved up enough money that I'm looking to purchase my first plate carrier and set of plates. 

I'm looking to have it as a "just in case" set up, so I don't need anything too crazy, but I don't want to buy garbage. I want to be able to put a couple of mags and a first aid kit on it. However, I'd like it to be comfortable to wear for long periods of time. 

So far, I've looked at the Shellback Banshee and the PIG. Obviously, the PIG seems nicer, but is it worth the extra money for a guy like me who's going to keep it in the closet and wear it to the range for classes? 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Spartan Armor, I just picked up one of their ar650 sets for $299, and I'm pleased with it.  I'm in same situation as you, I don't need it for work but wanted something just in case.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Mayflower APC.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mayflower APC.
View Quote
This ^

and get HSGI shoulder pads, with those pads the APC is VERY comfortable 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Just make sure it has a thick cummerbund

I ran a plate carrier without one and it was bouncing all over and hard on my back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've tried a lot of carriers: HSGI WaSatch and WeSatch; several different Diamondback; several Eagle; Tactical Tailor; LBT Slick and Low Pro; and others.

I have / love my LBT 6094A in 1000D.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mayflower APC.
View Quote
^
This as well. Love mine
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to echo the APC,  it is an amazing carrier and at a great price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Get good plates and save your money on the carrier. I got a pig brig with shoulder pads and it works just fine. You can get those Velcro mag holders on the same site for it too. Less than a couple of hundred for everything
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Paraclete in the ee for 100$ if your a medium...
Skd
https://www.skdtac.com/Paraclete-SOHPC-SKD-Spec-p/par.106.htm
Get ceramic plates don't waste your time on steel
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest a ferro concepts slickster.

Everything you need at a great price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in a similar situation last year and grabbed my first setup, I went with the APC and ceramics from highcom. I haven't used it for much besides wearing it around the house or doing some workouts but no complaints with the APC so far, it fits me well and is pretty comfortable.

My biggest suggestion is to get the lightest ceramics you can afford, they don't cost too much more than steel plates and provide a lot better protection.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#12]
In my opinion wearing this stuff sucks so wearing as little gear as possible while still meeting your needs/threats is prefered. I recommend like the posters above getting the lightest plates you can afford and the most minimalistic carrier you can get by with.

I use a ferro concepts slickster and really dig it but some honorable mentions are the Grey Ghost gear minimalist plate carrier, Pig Brigandine, and crye jpc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mayflower APC.
View Quote
I was checking out they're website , it looks like they
only sell to law enforcement only .
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Check SKDTac.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
SKD has a %15 off site wide, including the APC

i think someone posted they got one for $187 which is a good deal
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not a LEO, but I didn't order direct either. Wasn't a problem...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would suggest a ferro concepts slickster.

Everything you need at a great price.
View Quote
Agreed. I just got one and it's perfect. Get the turnover with it for 3 mags up front and throw your ifak and tq in one of the side pouches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top