Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2016 1:28:15 PM EDT
I've been looking at plate carriers for a little while now and think I have narrowed it down between the mayflower apc, the PIG, and the velocity systems SCARAB. I like these due to the ability to work with the Haley strategic D3CR. This would be used for home defense, training/classes and of course SHTF scenarios. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Always open to other pc as we'll.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been looking at plate carriers for a little while now and think I have narrowed it down between the mayflower apc, the PIG, and the velocity systems SCARAB. I like these due to the ability to work with the Haley strategic D3CR. This would be used for home defense, training/classes and of course SHTF scenarios. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Always open to other pc as we'll.
View Quote

I am no PC expert, but any of those three would be good.  A lot of people seem to like the PIG most.  I don't own of them, so I can't speak to actual hands-on opinion of them.  I have a 5.11 Tactec & Warrior Assault Systems Recon.  I'm sure their will others coming along to give you their experience/opinions of each.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#2]
All great PCs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of used options in EE if you want to try a couple before you settle, especially if you don't require a specific color.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:05:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I used the APC overseas as a contractor for incomming and elevated threat posture.  I like it because it's low profile with no b/s.  Have no input on tactical use or training classes though.  I would check out the OP Tactical version as you can remove the front flap for a lower profile and easier mounting of your Haley Rig (I currently own this version): MBAV APC
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The Haley rig will drop-on with no problems on both scarab and apc, the PIG would require an interfacing  kit for proper mount
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive used the APC/Haley rig setup for several years now at work.  Ive been through numerous classes, range days, and other training's with this setup and Ive been pleased so far.  Both have held up extremely well.  As much as I like the Haley rig, Im curious though to see if there is another chest rig out there similar to the Haley but with a little different pouch configuration.  No real reason why, other than I just like to try different things after awhile.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Have had and used an MF APC for the last couple of years for work...absolutely fantastic...if I were buying TODAY, I'd get the SCARAB...it is all that and a bag of chips...
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Have had and used an MF APC for the last couple of years for work...absolutely fantastic...if I were buying TODAY, I'd get the SCARAB...it is all that and a bag of chips...
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The Scarab is by far the most comfortable and feature rich of those 3. Also the most expensive. Well worth it imo
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Also check out Esstac Daeodon PC, haven't tried them myself "yet" but I plan on picking one up since it's a local company for myself and I have a habit supporting my local business (Mega Arms, Aero Precision and etc...).

Here's a solid review.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/463049_ESSTAC_DAEODON_Plate_Carrier.html&page=2
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Using an APC across the pond at the moment. It's truly an awesome rig. I did switch out the cummerbund on mine to the Crye skeletal cummerbund, I like it even more now. The rig holds medium and small plates very well with no wiggles. Larges can fit but I would be cautious about the bottom flap that holds them in. I have not used the SCARAB but I wouldn't have any doubts about not liking it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Appreciate all the good response. I really liked the idea of the scarab, I just wasn't sure if it would be as ridged and be able to do all of the things the other two carriers can do. But it sounds like it is more than capable
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the PIG, a buddy has the Mayflower, and another has the Scarab. I like the PIG for comfort and it is the easiest to get on and off. The PIG has the pontoons which in my opinion give it more comfort, it needs clips to make the haley rig fit. I personally rather have my stuff on my plate carrier than clipped on. I rather have a separate chest rig if I'm just going with a chest rig but that's me. If I were to rank them I would say PIG, Mayflower, Scarab.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
MF APC is nice but your going to need to pickup a set of the HSGI Shoulder pads. Makes a HUGE difference
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the PIG and it's awesome. Very comfortable. I don't believe swimmer plates will work without them shifting a bit, shooters cut is a perfect fit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll stand by the PIG!

Can attest to the internal locking system. I've done combatives in it, and the plates didn't shift.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Love my SCARAB, pretty comfortable and the zip on pack is great for mounting a hydration bladder as well as extra gear that you don't need to get to quickly. I'm experimenting with a length of paracord that's looped through the zipper pulls of the back panel for easy detachment and access while keeping the armor on. Not sure how streamlined it is though.

Also, I've got wider shoulders and the APC cut into my neck a bit, so the SCARAB definitely felt better comfort wise IMO. The APC and SCARAB are made in the same shop IIRC, so you'll get quality work regardless of your choice.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love my SCARAB, pretty comfortable and the zip on pack is great for mounting a hydration bladder as well as extra gear that you don't need to get to quickly. I'm experimenting with a length of paracord that's looped through the zipper pulls of the back panel for easy detachment and access while keeping the armor on. Not sure how streamlined it is though.

Also, I've got wider shoulders and the APC cut into my neck a bit, so the SCARAB definitely felt better comfort wise IMO. The APC and SCARAB are made in the same shop IIRC, so you'll get quality work regardless of your choice.

View Quote

RE: APC were those the old gen wide shoulder pads or the newer gen slim cut pads? That was a common complaint with the APC, and it seems like mayflower addressed it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#20]
They were the older gen, I could have gone with the newer APC's, but the feature set and the zip on back panel were attractive to me. So far, I've been glad with my purchase
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#21]
You can order the new gen pads for the APC by themselves.

I had the older ones and replaced them with the new version. Much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#22]
APC or Scarab. Both excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top