Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 9:19:31 AM EDT
I'm looking to upgrade my plate carrier and have a specific question, hence the new topic, sorry.

I’ve been looking through the threads regarding the latest/greatest as well as best values. (I currently have a Condor that works fine as a low cost option, it’s just bulky and hot and as hell. Shooting yesterday I was sweating my balls off.)

I’m looking for something that will accommodate my current AR500 plates. (I know, I know! I plan on upgrading to ceramic in the future as my budget allows. From what I’ve gleaned, I need something in the medium/large size to allow for new plates when I upgrade.)

Use is limited to weekend warrior and being tactikool for the apocalypse that will never come.

I’m looking for something with molle to allow me to carry 8 AR mags, IFAK and hydration.

My primary question/concern is how they fit on the shoulders. I need something that offers a lot of padding and even weight distribution. As well as the usual; fits properly, stays in place, light weight, etc. etc.

(3 years ago I broke my left clavicle into 4 pieces and my scapula into 3 pieces. The result is a 6 inch steel plate on my clavicle with 9 screws – some of which aren’t exactly "flush". Therefore padding and weight distribution are very important. Oh, and to max out my pain-in-the-ass meter – that’s all on my shooting side.)

I’ve been looking at the Mayflower APC, Shellback Banshee and First Spear STT as well as some others. (I was going to get the FirstSpear STT, but there’s a thread showing that it may have some sizing issues with the cummerbund.)

I know there are no perfect solutions, but any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe look into adding shoulder strap padding, or make custom padding for the inside to accommodate your injury.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I like my HSGI Weesatch with shoulder pads.  Works very well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get the hsgi pads and use them with most carriers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can get the hsgi pads and use them with most carriers.
View Quote

Sex for your shoulders

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I vote for the Velocity LWPC or the Mayflower APC. The Swiftclip system and the use of multiple modular PALS placards allows me to switch out between carrying a couple of AR mags, a bunch of AR mags, pistol mags only, any other types of rifle mags, or shotgun shells. Pretty versatile option in my opinion.

For shoulder pads, I prefer US Palm Comfort Packs.

plus
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Another potential angle to approach is to bring some of the weight on the shoulders down. A battlebelt to hold some of those rifle mags might be a good idea to look into. A USGI 30 round magazine weighs 1.1 lbs when loaded, so you're carrying nearly 9 pounds in mags and ammo alone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I would question the 8 mags point. That's just too many IMO. My rig is 4 singles. And frankly 3 would be enough.

1 in the gun and 3-4 on your body is between 120-150 rnds. Why do you need double that? And im running ceramics and fimd that setup heavy enough.

Mobility is worth something too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all; very helpful insight and suggestions!

1. I do use some extra padding and it works as well as can be expected, I just have to keep in minimized as the shoulder with all the extra "hardware" is on my shooting side.

2. HGSI pads = shoulder sex? Giddy up, they just moved to the top of the list!

3. The Velocity carrier is a great price at $160! (The only drawback is no webbing on the back. This is a pro and con. Pro - it keeps weight off my shoulders and allows for carrying a pack. Con - Carrying a pack is another strap over my shoulder and doesn't allow me to "balance" my loadout like I would if it were attached with molle.) The Mayflower is still a strong contender - I really like the versatility that the modular PALS panels/pouches offers.

4. Great point on moving weight to a belt. My current set-up doesn't give me that option, but a smaller carrier will open up more space around my hips, reducing the load on my shoulder.

5. Another good point on 8 mags, no idea how I arrived at that number. 3-4 on the carrier plus one in the gun is plenty. Also, as mentioned above, I will now have the option to move weight to a belt if carrying more is warranted.

Again, gentlemen, very useful information! It's easy to get "lost" when buying gear as there are so many options to choose from - which is great problem to have. Thanks guys, Steve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top