Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2013 3:06:26 PM EDT
Hey all-

I'm looking for high-quality hearing protection in small form, not headphones.  Basically, I want in-ear protection that has active or passive technology that protects my ears from gunshots, both suppressed and unsuppressed from short barrels, and also allows other sound through.  I'm not sure what I'm asking for exists.  I'd like to still hear birds chirping, the sound of wind through trees, footsteps, and really quiet stuff like the sound of rubbing your hand across carpet.

I imagine that something like that would be really expensive, but I also imagine that it exists and is in use by LEO/SOF.  It might not be available to civilians.

I saw that Surefire makes some in-ear stuff, but I'm not sure how effective it is.  It seems to be passive technology and I'm not sure I'd be able to hear the stuff that I want while filtering out the harmful stuff.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The Surefire ear plugs work real well. However, they will never be as good as a quality set of earmuffs. As someone who suffers from pretty serious hearing loss and tinnitus I don't play around with my hearing anymore. I usually double up with the Surefire and a set of electronic muffs. What you are looking for might not exist but your best bet would be consulting with an audiologist who builds custom ear pro.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Proears sells some for 1500 a pair. I would go with the advise above.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Proears sells some for 1500 a pair. I would go with the advise above.
View Quote

Did you mean $1500 or was that a typo ?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#4]
supposedly ESP makes good ones as well, but your gonna pay 1.5-2k

http://www.espamerica.com/
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Did you mean $1500 or was that a typo ?
View Quote

No typo:

http://www.proears.com/Pro-Fit-buy-now

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Surefire ear plugs work real well. However, they will never be as good as a quality set of earmuffs. As someone who suffers from pretty serious hearing loss and tinnitus I don't play around with my hearing anymore. I usually double up with the Surefire and a set of electronic muffs. What you are looking for might not exist but your best bet would be consulting with an audiologist who builds custom ear pro.
View Quote

Yep, I have the Surefire plugs as well.

I don't recall exactly how much I paid for them, but they were in the $20-30 range for a pair.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I run Surefire regularly. No problems with just them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The surefire's are misleading though.  You have to leave the port open to hear ambient noise from your surroundings and when you do, gunshots are very loud.  When you close the ports, shots are muffled, but so is the surrounding noise.   It is much better than nothing, but not enough protection for firing a rifle indoors.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The surefire's are misleading though.  You have to leave the port open to hear ambient noise from your surroundings and when you do, gunshots are very loud.  When you close the ports, shots are muffled, but so is the surrounding noise.   It is much better than nothing, but not enough protection for firing a rifle indoors.
View Quote

This is very true. They are plenty enough outside, but indoors you better have some muffs
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
There is always Silynx.. (C4ops) They aren't my favorite though. Take a while for your ears to get use to them--kinda uncomfortable. Also, they are running about 1,000 on ebay.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is always Silynx.. (C4ops) They aren't my favorite though. Take a while for your ears to get use to them--kinda uncomfortable. Also, they are running about 1,000 on ebay.
View Quote

These work well and even getting a used Nacre Quietpro works well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beep.
Fuck.
Beep.
God damn it.
Beep.
AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! <rips buds out of brainstem and slings POS into a wall>

ahhhhh
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Another Surefire convert here.  They were giving away samples at the NRA convention.  I have found them on Amazon for $12 or so as well.  I have used then for a couple extended practice sessions and one 3 gun match and they worked great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#14]
What Surefire model do you guys have? EP3, EP4, EP5, etc??
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a pair custom made by an audiologist at a gun show and they work very well and super comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Beep.
Fuck.
Beep.
God damn it.
Beep.

ahhhhh
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beep.
Fuck.
Beep.
God damn it.
Beep.

ahhhhh

Hahah thanks for making me laugh today... yea getting them "sealed" can be troublesome until you get used to it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you hear wet grass sounds with any of these?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for Surefire.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I have EP4's.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can you hear wet grass sounds with any of these?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

In between the beeps on the Nacre Quietpro
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have EP4's.
View Quote

And you like the 3 flanges? They don't bother you in any way?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Nope. Comfy cozy. My wife had an issue with them and switched to regular plugs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a pair of both EP4s and EP5s.

My only problem with the flanges is that they get gummed up with wax. It seems like the EP6s don't have that problem with the shape of the plug, but eh.

Like others here, I stack them with other earpro, like my Howard Leight Sports.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top