Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2013 7:41:09 AM EDT
Juts curious what your thoughts are.  I've been used to carrying the Hi-Power or Sig 226 in a thigh holster ever since the spring of 2001 when I switched from the typical belt holster.  So far it has gone well.  It worked well for me in the 6 years I was LEO, the 6-7 pistol classes I've taken, and for basic general use.  No complaints.  However, I've been thinking about freeing up some bulk on my legs and transferring the pistol to my vest.  This would clear me of having any gear waist on down and maybe allow for more comfort, a slimmer profile (less banging on obstacles), a smoother walk/run (maybe?), etc.

Has anyone gone this route and liked the results well enough to leave the thigh holster behind???  Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You ran a pistol on a chest rig during a pistol class? I'm sure the guys on the line must have loved that... It's one thing to run it on your rig as a secondary, another thing entirely as your primary. Go with a drop if you don't want it on the belt. I'm very surprised that an instructor allowed you to draw from a chest rig on a hot line. Bad juju.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Disclaimer: Im not a LEO and Im probably going to tell you some things you may already know.

I have, however, had to work in some very confined spaces as well as make my way over my fair share of obstacles. I have found that if you mount a pistol on your kit, it has to be on the front. This is not preferable because it tends to point in directions you really dont want it to. For example, at your buddy/partner. I have also seen individuals ND while drawing. Im going to assume you will have to get pretty close to suspects and the like. This leaves you in a bad way if you need to draw a weapon on a perp to your front as he can easily get control of your hand and prevent you from drawing and possibly give him the weapon in a struggle. If you try to mount it to the side of your vest, you will probably find it is WAY too high to be drawn practically and gets in the way more than a thigh holster.

My personal recommendation is to find a thigh holster that sits as high as possible. IE no lower than your thigh pocket. I've seen some belt mounted holsters that drop lower than the standard holsters which are specifically made for use while wearing body armor, though I do not know the name or make.

You're the final judge.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the pistol horizontal or vertical on the chest? Details, details.

I have one old PC setup as a stand alone rig and I have a pistol mounted on it, vertically, by where my right elbow is. It's a higher draw for my right hand than when it's mounted on my 1st line or CCW belt, but it is only pointing at the ground.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't stand a thigh holster with straps.  Unless you're in actual execution-on-target they're annoying and can expose your pistol to running into walls, doorways, structures, and furniture.

A hip holster with a drop and offset will clear body armor.

From a military perspective your pistol on your chest can get in the way of your carbine or SMG.  If you have to go prone you're liable to damage your pistol (never having been a cop I don't know if you guys ever have to take cover and try to get small.  Having been on the receiving end of direct and indirect fire you can't get small enough).

My current choice is a Blade Tech with a drop and offset and thumb break (like this one):

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I think he was saying that he used to run a belt holster as an LEO in classes - but is now considering a chest mount.  

Nevertheless - plus one to everything that's been posted already.

The biggest issue is that what's more important than the "ideal" gear setup is training with whatever setup you run.  Most ranges and/or classes will not allow you to train cross-draw - too many issues with flagging the whole line when you present, and the catastrophic results if you ND on the draw.  It also makes it tough to go prone, which is still by far the best place to shoot from if it's an available option - keeps you low and keeps you stable.  

Really the only time it would be useful is if you're doing the majority of your operations mounted, as it gives you access to your sidearm when within a vehicle - however, it still presents a flagging hazard.  

And once again, I concur with the other posters - a high thigh mount is often the best of both worlds when wearing "full kit."  A hard drop extender is a great option, but it does present a problem if you have to sit down - the extender, with your holster and sidearm will still point down, and can make it uncomfortable to be seated - again, a concern if you are doing a vehicular movement to "contact."  

The final option is a modified or high-rise drop leg, a single strap design that rides high on your thigh, but has a flexible connection to your belt, allowing you to be seated more easily, while not providing the same kind of encumbrance on your leg if you need to run or walk long distances like most double strap thigh holsters.  There are a good number of "DIY" tutorials on how to modify a Safariland holster for this method, and many companies are beginning to make adapters and holsters for a "high thigh" ride.

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't stand a thigh holster with straps.  Unless you're in actual execution-on-target they're annoying and can expose your pistol to running into walls, doorways, structures, and furniture.

A hip holster with a drop and offset will clear body armor.

From a military perspective your pistol on your chest can get in the way of your carbine or SMG.  If you have to go prone you're liable to damage your pistol (never having been a cop I don't know if you guys ever have to take cover and try to get small.  Having been on the receiving end of direct and indirect fire you can't get small enough).

My current choice is a Blade Tech with a drop and offset and thumb break (like this one):

http://www.vikingtactics.de/images/product_images/info_images/dsc_8815.jpg

X2, this ended up being my preferred method for carrying a pistol while wearing all my kit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My vest is already 35 lbs i cant fathom putting a full sized pistol on it. Def keeping it on my belt, if i use it at all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry if I was not clear... I wore the thigh holster during any number of LEO classes where a sidearm was required.  The classes I'm thinking of where the duo rifle/pistol courses and the scenarios were tactical in nature (not patrol) and there were a mix of people using all three locations (thigh, waist, and vest).

I can see the ups of having on the thigh/low waist while going prone.  My thoughts were if I raised it up to my vest on a cross draw I'd clear up my legs and give me a wee bit more wiggle room while entering, exiting, and operating in vehicles while all geared up.

The down sides have been shown as well, the extra baggage on the vest can get in the way of the rifle/carbine.  Currently, I carry 8 mags for the AR in the vest, a small first aid kit, and a small "extras" pouch (batteries, zip ties, energy bar, multi-tool, etc etc etc).

I will probably keep things as they have been.  There is potential that I can go to a class in June and I was just curious what the consensus was, if there was any.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Add another vote for thigh as close to the belt as it comfortable/accessible.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry if I was not clear... I wore the thigh holster during any number of LEO classes where a sidearm was required.  The classes I'm thinking of where the duo rifle/pistol courses and the scenarios were tactical in nature (not patrol) and there were a mix of people using all three locations (thigh, waist, and vest).

I can see the ups of having on the thigh/low waist while going prone.  My thoughts were if I raised it up to my vest on a cross draw I'd clear up my legs and give me a wee bit more wiggle room while entering, exiting, and operating in vehicles while all geared up.

The down sides have been shown as well, the extra baggage on the vest can get in the way of the rifle/carbine.  Currently, I carry 8 mags for the AR in the vest, a small first aid kit, and a small "extras" pouch (batteries, zip ties, energy bar, multi-tool, etc etc etc).

I will probably keep things as they have been.  There is potential that I can go to a class in June and I was just curious what the consensus was, if there was any.  

What exactly is your job?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm definitely no expert, but how about one of those Costa leg rig setups? II think they sit pretty high, compared to a reg drop leg panel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly is your job?

Yeah, 8 mags seems a little much for most LE applications. My original plan for an Active Shooter rig was my duty belt, AR, and chest rig with 4 mags, water, and BOK. I've debated trimming that down a bit, even. I also wish I'd gone with a plate carrier, but at the time I didn't have the $ available.

Back on topic: Thigh if you must, but wear it up as high as possible on the leg (like, nut-hugging strap high) and possibly a little towards the front of your thigh. Easier to get at with your other hand that way if need be.

ETA: But a drop&offset holster like the Blade-Tech, or Safariland low-ride UBL with the offset spacer installed, would be even better than a drop-leg.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm also curious as to what your exact job in LE is also.  I've worked LE (for the .mil) for the past 5 years and we're required by regulations to use a Safariland Drop Leg Holster.  I can see only very few job positions and situations where a standard drop holster would be beneficial.  It's a huge bitch while trying to chase someone (know this one from experience) especially if they're going over obstacles, they suck for vehicle ops and damage the seats in patrol vehicles, they tend to drag one side of my duty belt down no matter how I set the damn thing up, etc.

About the only reason I could foresee using one is dynamic entry type situations where a standard duty belt isn't used and even now a days with the advent of smaller armor setups and belt holsters that can be dropped slightly to clear plate carriers with adapters, I honestly don't really see a use for standard drop holsters anymore.

I will go ahead and vote for the Bladetech or Safariland Belt option with a drop adapter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm also curious as to what your exact job in LE is also.  I've worked LE (for the .mil) for the past 5 years and we're required by regulations to use a Safariland Drop Leg Holster.  I can see only very few job positions and situations where a standard drop holster would be beneficial.  It's a huge bitch while trying to chase someone (know this one from experience) especially if they're going over obstacles, they suck for vehicle ops and damage the seats in patrol vehicles, they tend to drag one side of my duty belt down no matter how I set the damn thing up, etc.

About the only reason I could foresee using one is dynamic entry type situations where a standard duty belt isn't used and even now a days with the advent of smaller armor setups and belt holsters that can be dropped slightly to clear plate carriers with adapters, I honestly don't really see a use for standard drop holsters anymore.

I will go ahead and vote for the Bladetech or Safariland Belt option with a drop adapter.

Specter Gear & HSGI make good mid-ride leg platforms, too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
*Then* I was sheriff and I did not have the gear I do now.  Back then ('01-'06) I had the rifle with a mag inserted (no round in chamber), a mag pouch on the buttstock, and 2 mags in my "patrol vest" pouch.  The vest was sitting right next to the gun case in the trunk and I grabbed and threw over my shoulders and zipped it up if I ever needed to deploy the rifle.  I had other LEO stuff typically found in a response vest as well.  When I was working with the HRT team we used the thigh holster for the pistol, while on patrol I had the Sig 226 on my hip.

*Now* I'm just your average Joe who has better and more versatile gear, and was curious what others thought about going from the thigh to the vest with the pistol.  I have a chance to go to a "refresher" class in a few months and the thought has crossed my mind to switching but I think I'll just keep on doing what I know and am comfortable with.  I joined the local LEO reserves and a lot of things are open to me for free.  

EDIT:  BTW... my "OHSHITGETOUTFUCKOFDODGE" tacti-coolio vest holds 12 mags for the AR.  Currently, I only put in 8 in the center 4 pouches (4X2), and that gives me enough room to mount other pouches to each side.  The vest also has a camel back pouch with some smaller internal pouches.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Vest mounted pistols are only good if you're regularly driving a vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]
For the gun that I don't have a thigh holster for, I just slipped it into a vertical double AR mag pouch (Eagle double mag pouch) on my strong side beside my other AR mags. It takes time to reholster as the flap will tend to velcro itself closed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]

I have just been messing with this on my own, no classes or occupational work, but it has worked with what I have tried. I shoot pistol left handed and rifle right handed( lefty, right eye dominant).

I can lay prone and still draw and reholster, laying on left or right works fine as the 6 mags take most of the weight. Sitting or standing draw isn't much different than when the gun is mounted to my belt; draw while sitting is better in this position.  This is mounted to the cummerbund of my plate carrier but should be able to do the same thing with a vest and on the rifle side.

I could be wrong and maybe I am missing some problem others could point out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have just been messing with this on my own, no classes or occupational work, but it has worked with what I have tried. I shoot pistol left handed and rifle right handed( lefty, right eye dominant).

I can lay prone and still draw and reholster, laying on left or right works fine as the 6 mags take most of the weight. Sitting or standing draw isn't much different than when the gun is mounted to my belt; draw while sitting is better in this position.  This is mounted to the cummerbund of my plate carrier but should be able to do the same thing with a vest and on the rifle side.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/glock2027/CIMG1549_zps7e131737.jpg

If I may suggest...put your holster on a good belt and keep it on your waist. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing goes near my holster. Not on top attached to a cumberbund, not in front attached to a belt. The area immediately around my holster is No-Mans-Land. To each his own, of course, but I see a lot of people on here treating a sidearm like it is a primary weapon (lots of mags, holstered anywhere but on the belt).

I only say this because I went through the phase of hanging my pistol everywhere but on my waist, too. Seriously, give it an open mind and an honest chance. Nothing says you have to wear a pistol belt or war belt, either. Try wearing it as you would your carry gun if you CCW.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I may suggest...put your holster on a good belt and keep it on your waist. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing goes near my holster. Not on top attached to a cumberbund, not in front attached to a belt. The area immediately around my holster is No-Mans-Land. To each his own, of course, but I see a lot of people on here treating a sidearm like it is a primary weapon (lots of mags, holstered anywhere but on the belt).

I only say this because I went through the phase of hanging my pistol everywhere but on my waist, too. Seriously, give it an open mind and an honest chance. Nothing says you have to wear a pistol belt or war belt, either. Try wearing it as you would your carry gun if you CCW.

I originally had this handgun setup for CCW belt carry but wanted to try this option. Belt carry seems more cumbersome on my hip by itself but it is a pretty big setup being the biggest Glock frame+ light+ level III retention holster+ quick attachment system.  I'll have to play around more and see.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#22]
What are you looking to do?
There are different ways to set it up.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I originally had this handgun setup for CCW belt carry but wanted to try this option. Belt carry seems more cumbersome on my hip by itself but it is a pretty big setup being the biggest Glock frame+ light+ level III retention holster+ quick attachment system.  I'll have to play around more and see.

Ok, I think I understand you now. You are mounting your pistol on your cumberbund in order to mitigate the bulk of a Safariland. My 1st Line is a G34 w/ M3 in a Safariland 6378, so I know your pain. Although I am we'll pleased with my setup, I am about to order a Raven Concealment holster and moduloader, all mounted on a DSG belt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Well,

Us big guys, 6' 240# ape armed knuckle draggers...me!

I've never been comfortable with people I have around me with any sort of cross draw or front vest for a primary...

Yes, I have cross draw vests, but that's my backup, not primary.

No matter how good you are accidents can and usually happen.

Now, a backup, fine, there is already a serious issue at that point already...it's snafu...

So, at my ranch no chest rigs for a primary, if you want to run a chest rig for primary you can do it elsewhere..

Now, have no problem as backup at all, space is limited and backup is just that backup.

My primary pistol, not long gun, is right belt mount at about 4:30...pert near to my iwb rig location as well...

Everybody has a favorite position, I just don't like that to be with me or other "friendly" being muzzled as a rule...

I'm not even a huge fan of the horizontal as a backup, I prefer it slightly muzzle down, I have a few friends that just can't draw well from that position, they have retardedly short stubby little arms...:)

I keep my rigs on the kiss method, everything I run is located in as close to the same location and angle as I can...muscle memory is slow to change...

I also keep all my weapon platforms as close a possible as well, trigger weight and creap is spot on across all my pistols and my ar platforms, even shotguns.

If I grab an ar weapon, it should feel and function the same as the rest, within limits, yes my long range it is on its own, but the weight and distribution is also different so it is all different...

Well, after this rant, I prefer to not run a primary weapon that in its design will muzzle friend.

Bret
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top