Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 12:58:50 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to purchase some military issue items, guy says he has cleared CIF and all, but I don't want stolen stuff.  How common is it to have extras of big items, ie IOTV, IBA....  He claims they are on the up and up but I don't know if I should just steer clear.  Gut says run away, pocketbook says buy it and never look back.  So opinions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with your gut.  You'll sleep better at night not worrying about a knock on the door at 3 am.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on what they are. If they're clothing/things that touch the skin or hair, you're good. Most of the stuff you get to keep since the military can't reuse them. IOTVs, Goretex, helmets, all are to be turned in when clearing out of the military. If he still has them after he cleared, that means either he stole them or they were issued to him but not put on his clothing record. Either way, they are still government property even if the the military never asked for it back. I have a DCU IBA and plates plus my ACU IBA and plates because I was issued them, but the DCU one is not on my clothing record. Hence why I received a second IBA. When I clear, both will be going back to CIF. I only keep the DCU one around so FNGs can use it if we happen to go to the range before they get their TA-50 issued.

Bottom line: if you want to buy it, go ahead. If you get caught with it, you'll have it confiscated and you'll be out your cash. Or, you could always call your local Provost Marshall and let them know someone is trying to sell government property.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
In many cases individual troops are allowed to purchase kit for use in theater, right?  It would then seem that those bits of kit are theirs to sell as they like when they get home.  

If your gut tells you it's wrong, go with that.  Otherwise, the worst thing that'll happen is that somebody'll knock on your door and ask if you purchased X from troop Y.  You sign a statement and give over the gear, whereupon troop Y deals with the consequences.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what they are. If they're clothing/things that touch the skin or hair, you're good. Most of the stuff you get to keep since the military can't reuse them. IOTVs, Goretex, helmets, all are to be turned in when clearing out of the military. If he still has them after he cleared, that means either he stole them or they were issued to him but not put on his clothing record. Either way, they are still government property even if the the military never asked for it back. I have a DCU IBA and plates plus my ACU IBA and plates because I was issued them, but the DCU one is not on my clothing record. Hence why I received a second IBA. When I clear, both will be going back to CIF. I only keep the DCU one around so FNGs can use it if we happen to go to the range before they get their TA-50 issued.

Bottom line: if you want to buy it, go ahead. If you get caught with it, you'll have it confiscated and you'll be out your cash. Or, you could always call your local Provost Marshall and let them know someone is trying to sell government property.

Not always.  It also depends on what service and what you do.  As you mention TA-50, I am assuming you are Army.  I have gotten so much shit over the years (active myself) for free that my wife makes me throw the shit out once a year.  Between switching color gear to changing to another style, it will either get DRMO'd or given away to the troops.  This includes gortex, packs, cold weather gear.  You name it.  Many times too, we give items to Department of Homeland Security or local law enforcement.   As far as plates, NVG's, peq-2 and other high dollar items, they are probably hot unless you have a purchase receipt.  I would run from those types of items.  If you google the topic, the DOD looses millions of dollars of equipment each year including weapons.  There have been several troops as of late that are getting convicted of stealing such items and are going to spend some time in prison.  Any item is not worth going to jail over.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The only carriers currently restricted are the older Interceptor IBA stuff all otv/iotv is gtg. Also the soft armor is cleared however plates marked US are not. Its a grey area but if its a good deal and there aren't any controlled items (plates) then all should be ok.

Also:
PEQ
NVG
MEDS (NOT MED SUPPLIES ACTUAL SCRIPT STUFF)
PLATES
IBA KIT
SOME PRO MASK (Anything newer than the older m-40's)
OPTICS  

are all a no-go run as fast as possible in the other direction. Pretty much everything else is gtg. Well start seeing surplus of most of the rest popping up soon (i.e. the safarilands are popping up now)
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
unless it has a serial number they can't trace it, then again if the guy works at CIF and is outright stealing shit and gets caught he could rat you out.  in that case you'll probably have to give it back.  like if he's selling you a PEQ or night vision equipment with a deep grove where the serial number usually is that's probably something that walked away.  i wouldn't buy that unless you know the guy or trust him.  is this someone you know or an add from Craigs list?

weapon recievers PEQs, optics and radios are about the only thing that is kept track of by a serial number with once a week inventory where they match every serial number with whats on the list.  my Sgt and the armory crew at SOI had to go threw over 2,000 PEQs because there was one missing that the list said should be there

Edit*  most plates have a bar code on them that is scanned at CIF when issued to the Marine saying that those plates were given to him, if your buying plates with the bar code scratched off that might mean they walked off too
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Umm its not very common and chances are he's selling you crap that should have been turned in. Don't support a bad habit and buy his stuff. Do call CID and have him reported.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Just decided to not go to the sale he was having.  I don't really need armor, just saw the ad and decided at that price it would be hard to pass up.  Oh well, thanks for taking time to answer my quandry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top