Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 12:26:36 PM EDT
Anybody here have any experience w/ any of the Polish molle stuff?  Thought about getting a chest rig but wanted to know about the quality.  I may just go w/ two AK double mag pouches from TT and slap them on my Eagle PC but kinda want a dedicated setup and the Polish camo doesn't look all that bad.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen it, linky?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Never seen it, linky?

www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=winslow&product=Web+Gear&cart_id=8622658.4416&user-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

www.miwo-military.com

I hear it's pretty good gear and all but it's sorta pricey.  Also Ebay has some stuff up for sale.  

The 2nd link...I can read it but that's the original site.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I havea  couple of the pouches (2 mag AK pouches w/velcro closure) and the construction is fine.  Never run it through the wringer so-to-speak, but it seems on par with Tactical Tailor, Eagle, Etc.

miwo uses a slightly different system to attach pouches which is a little harder to install (strap and small buckle) but seems sturdy enough when attached.  The only real pain si that AK pouches by necessity have to be a bit wider than AR pouches, and MOLLE seems to be designed around AR mag widths, so the AK pouches can get a tiny bit crowded when put right next to each other.  Not impossibly crowded, but a little snug.

Miwo does have some good design features, such as the double mag pouch has an elastic divider strap to hold the second mag in while you extract the frist, and to keep a lone mag from flopping around in a 2 mag pouch.

[ETA] The camo is a touch darker than woodland camo, and a bit more muted, but when on a woodycam rig you don't even notice the difference.  Of course, I am one of those guys that doesn't throw a fit about the difference between khaki/flat dark earth/coyote.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Dawg...thanks.  I may just end up getting a new TT 2pc w/ X harness (sold my old one dammit) and then buying some mag pouches and call it a day.  I really like the Desert Polish GROM camo though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
That is the setup I have- 4 Miwo 2 AK mag pouches on a TT 2 piece MAV.  Works great.  If you want I can try and snap some pics in the next day or two.

Be aware that AK pouches area  a row taller than AR mag pouches.  Not a big deal, but just something to keep in mind if you are planning on mounting them under your armpits.

[ETA]  Heck, where are you located in IL?  If you are near the Shitcago suburbs we could meet up and I could show you the stuff in person.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That is the setup I have- 4 Miwo 2 AK mag pouches on a TT 2 piece MAV.  Works great.  If you want I can try and snap some pics in the next day or two.

Be aware that AK pouches area  a row taller than AR mag pouches.  Not a big deal, but just something to keep in mind if you are planning on mounting them under your armpits.

[ETA]  Heck, where are you located in IL?  If you are near the Shitcago suburbs we could meet up and I could show you the stuff in person.

Well I'm in Macomb right now (WIU LE Grad School) but my fiance is from the Plainfield/Naperville area and we're moving up around Aurora probably in December '07.  I dunno the next time we'll be up there visiting her fam but I'll get ahold of you if I am.  Any experience w/ the TT (IIRC they're TT) AK pouches?  I think they hold two each.  I noticed, as you explained, that the molle type attachments and rows are a bit different than the standard one's we're used to.  I'm thinking universal AK pouches may be my best bet w/ the TT 2pc.  I loved my 2pc but then I got a PC and moved all my shit over to it.  Still pissed I sold the damn thing as it was the most comfortable rig I've ever worn.  Wore it for 8 hours straight in high temps and never once did I feel uncomfortable...can't say that about my PC.

ETA:  here are the TT AK pouches...They hold 3 30 round AR mags or two 30 round AK mags

$21.50 a piece isn't too bad.  

www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=51

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Bear in mind that European pals webbing is something like 25mm as opposed to one inch straps on US gear. I don't know what difference that may make. I suppose Euro stuff fits on US platforms but not vice-versa?

Dawg180, i would LOVE to see some pics of your setup.

eta: I had some old-style TT AK pouches, which sucked. The top didn't have a full lid, just a flap that you could never get to match the curvature of the magazines. Low-profile they ain't. The new models looks way better, though.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe optactical.com is blowing out some seelcted colors of the PPM AK mag pouches 50% off.  Makes them abotu $12-13 a pop, hold 2 AK mags, and uses malice clips IIRC.

The spacing on the webbing is different, but it isn't a big deal with the pouches- there is enough give in teh webbing to allow the mag pouches to mount.  If you were to go several rows it could start to be an issue, but the MAV is so short vertiaclly i didn't have a problem rigging it.  Additionally, the Miwo attachment system is a strap that threads through and then laces through a small ladderlock that is sewn onto the bottom of the pouch, so you can adjust the length of the strap to make it work with the PALS webbing.

Lemme crank up the camera while my pork chops are cookin' on the George Foreman and I'll see if I can get a pic up.  

[ETA]  Fivepoint, I live in Geneva and my G/F lives in Aurora, so I am litterally a stones throw away from your g/f and your home.  If you are up in the area for a weekend or hit Buffalo or Sycamore Sportmsens Club it shoudl be no problem at all to meet up.  Heck, we could make a range day of it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I just checked OPTac....dealt w/ them before and had good experiences.

Their PPM AK pouches are the 2 mag pouches in color "wheat" for $18 each

They also have Tac Tailor ones like the ones listed above for $16 but they only have them in Woodland.  

decisions decisions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Part of the ever-evolving 'heavy hitter' rig.  TT 2 piece MAV in OD, 4 Miwo 2 mag Ak pouches w/velcro closure, 2 TT large ute pouches, noname 2 pistol mag ouch, eagle dump pouch.  3L Camelback wtih a TT SAW pouch rigged on to it for a mini pack (MREs, etc)

I also have a battle belt witha  holster and first aid kit, but it is a little snug to fit both that and the MAV on my tiny torso. Right now the pistol just goes in a Miwo pouch, first aid in one of the ute's. If I need more sustainment than the camelbak I have a woodycam Molle II pack with framesheet with a spare 2L camelbak available.  If I need something lighter than that rig I have an older Eagle 4 mag chest rig taht works well witht he battle belt.  Basically I can grab any combo of pack and chest rig and be pretty well set depending on my needs.  

As for the Miwo pouches:

They are pretty well thought out.  My particular 2 mag AK pouches use a velcro closure (not sure if they are available here in the U.S. right now, might have to go direct to Miwo).  The lid is adjustable/removable, it has a black velcro band on the outside of the pouch to reatin both mags *and* a smaller velcro retaining strap inside the pouch so when you extract one mag the other one doesnt' flop around/fall out.  Why the U.S. tact gear builders haven't jumped on this configuration i dont' knwo, but I like it.

The pouches are plenty deep for an AK mag, 30 round AR mags sit a little low but a piece of styrofoam 1" thick in the bottom of the pouch would raise them up just fine.  

You can see the connection mechanics in this pic, and the staggering of the straps.  The Miwo pouch uses a strap that threads through the webbing and then hooks through the little black ladder lock nera the base of my palm.  The webbing 'stagger' is about 3/4" or so on the Miwo stuff, so it does take a little finagling to get the opuch on.  However, it is plenty secure even though I had to skip one row of webbing- I just cinched up (isn't that from an old SNL skit?) the threadded strap good and nothign is going anywhere.

The main reason I like these pouches is that I can carry any type of AK or AR mag I own in them.  There aren't a lot of good AK compatible mag pouches out there, this is one of the few I think works pretty well.

If you got any other quetsions please feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my abilities.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty slick, love the elastic idea. I feel your pain on the lack of "good US-made AK pouches."

Looking at the webbing, it reminds me of trying to stick a maxpedition sheath onto pals webbing. You have to 'squish" the pals platform together to get it to fit. It holds fine, just mashes it together.

Thanks for posting the pics!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks a lot of the pics and got your IM Dawg.  Really appreciate the offer!

Guys I really think now that AK's are becoming more popular whether it be b/c of the upcoming proposed ban...more modularity of the weapon platform...or just an increased interest I truly think we'll start to see more and more Molle gear designed for the AK.  At least I would hope so.  That's the one department that's really lacking right now w/ the AK.  In order to keep one rig I would love to be able to have some shingles w/ molle on the front and I would mount these directly to my rig.  From there I would mount standard M4 mag shingles on the front of the AK pouches.  This would be ideal as one of them would always be flat and all I would have to do is load up the mag pouches for whatever I choose.  But will probably end up going w/ a dedicated rig.  TT MAV's come up for sale all the time on the EE and on Lightfighter, also OPTac has in their blowout sale the woodland 1 pc for $30 and the Xharness for $30 IIRC.  Once again thanks for the pics.

My Eagle PC I have now...only difference is I have moved the shingles to the sides....and have the 2 mag shingle on the top sitting on the flap that goes over the cumberbun.

TT 2pc setup before I got my PC

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I know that you are looking at modular vests and pouches but have you thought of a AK specific vest?  What about the Russian Grad-2 vest?  Russian LBVs
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Elduke thanks but I'm looking for something a lil more basic.  Just the mag pouches and the rig.  I've tried LBV's/Vests before and am not a fan.  I'm small framed and all the vests I tried often times sagged.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Fivepoint,

I woudl very much like to see the Eagle PC up close and try it on some time.  I also am a small guy (5'6" and 155lbs) so it is hard to find gear that will snug down enough in many instances.

The reason I went with the TT 2 piece MAV was that it has a short vertical profile, and I like the idea of being able to use it liek a vest, i.e. donning/doffing relatively quickly. Not a knock on the Eagle PC by any means, just the cheapest way i could accomplish that at the time.  "sandwich board" carrier definitely has its merits.

I guess this has wandered off of the Miwo pouch question, but all good info.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Dawg no problem.  Next time I'm up your way I'll bring it.  I sold the plates (TAP Gamma III+) and it fit a lot better w/ them in.  It's not exactly the easiest to get on/off w/ the cumberbun but you get used to it.  The TT 2pc w/ X harness is definitely quicker to get off/on.  The PC fits snug and I have it riding a bit high.  It does not get in the way of my first line either.  (I'm 5'10" 150)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top