Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2006 7:07:58 PM EDT
I'm going to be taking several classes this winter and wanted to start getting my gear in order for those classes and armor came to mind.  These classes seem to be pretty dynamic and there is a good amount of live fire going on.

I'm going to need a platform to carry my extra mags any how and was contemplating getting some armor while I was at it.  

Hell, I could use the stuff when we're out spot shooting varmint since there is usually a good volume of fire
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
hmmm

armor while varmint shooting, thats a new one

armor is always a good idea especially in confined quarters, but bear in mind a reasonable platform can set you back upwards of $2K+

So really assess what you want to do.  Thats a lot of coin to spend on not so clearly defined reqs

EGG
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm most likely going to run a level IIIA soft armor vest with a plate carrier over it minus the plates.  

I'll most likely use soft armor for work since the vest I wear is about 35lbs and is a bit much for the threat level.

And as far as the vest while hunting, it's normally about 6 individuals in 2 or 3 vehicles within a hundred yards shooting at multiple critters.   We do our best to stay in our lanes of fire but sometimes someone will drift and cross over.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like you ought to worry more about muzzle discipline and lane management than worry about a crutch for the lack thereof.  Dont wanna 'Cheney' your buddies now do you?

A 35lb vest?  WTF are you wearing and why hasnt your place of work sprung for new equipment?
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
sounds like you ought to worry more about muzzle discipline and lane management than worry about a crutch for the lack thereof.  Dont wanna 'Cheney' your buddies now do you?

A 35lb vest?  WTF are you wearing and why hasnt your place of work sprung for new equipment?

Level IIIA vest with metal trauma plates.  The vest was manufacturered in the last 3 years but I'm not sure about the make.  It's rated for 7.62x39.

And I am very aware of my muzzle discipline and back ground  but there are always others out there that I have to worry about.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I  would just get a molle carrier & use level 3 steel plates.
While wearing, it doesnt feel heavy at all.

TG
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Level IIIA is soft armor and will not stop 7.62x39.  In fact, it will not stop rifle rounds of any size.  It is strictly pistol ammo, and it doesn't always work then either.  Specs are one thing, but don't ever trust your life to something 100%  

If you are going to be taking classes for tactical rifle, you will need rifle plates.  Hard plates are the only armor that is rated for rifle fire PERIOD.  If you are taking classes,  invest in the plates.  Accidents happen and you should be as well protected as you can afford.  

As far as varmint hunting goes, I wouldn't worry about the plates.  No matter the volume of fire, I've only ever seen prairie dogs and gophers using .22's.  Anything bigger, and the recoil usually sends the little guys flying backwards which throws off their aim.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Good ideas for later.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Just did a class on a .mil range. Body armor, any kind, was required.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
See the discussion in this thread:

Body Armor For a Rifle Class?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top