Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 6:57:25 PM EDT
Hi All,

I am in the market for a new pair of tac boots and wondered at any possible recommendations anyone would have...the catch is I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment so a decent pair around $200 or so would be great. I've looked at quite a few of the big names, but wanted some opinions..search didn't yield too much but I saw a few good posts for Danner Strikers...

Thanks in Advance!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
What names have you already looked at?  That might help us narrow down what's left on our lists to things you haven't checked out yet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've looked at :
Danner: Striker and Acadia, Bates, Wellco, Belvilles...even some of the Danner and Meindl hunting line.  Looking for a tough, light boot for woodland trekking and training.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The Strikers are very comfortable,very nice boots. I've gone through two pairs of them and loved them except the soles wear out quickly. I wore them as duty boots on my job as a firefighter. I work a total of 120 shift per year. In my opinion a pair of boots should last longer than that. I now have a pair of Matterhorns and so far they have been outstanding.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm on my third pair of Danner Ft. Lewis boots. Found out they will rebuild/ resole them at their Portland outlet for $120.00. Just got a old set back and they look great.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looking for a tough, light boot for woodland trekking and training.

Merrell Sawtooth...it's an outstanding boot, priced right.

click here
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I still like the combat leathers I was issued in basic in the 90's, Ive got over 7 types of boots in my house and only one still gets used when I need to hump a ruck 12 miles.  I still use the same pair I was issued (other pair is lost), same soles/insoles and all.  Every other type of boot has failed me, mainly the desert suede ones that dont take kiwi like black boots.

15 miles ago...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Belleville. The jungle boots are nice
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear magnums, they work great for me all year and are about 60-70 dollars.  I do like the danners though, just a little too pricey for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Danner Desert Eagle

I bought a pair of these last week.

Very nice.  Haven't done any long hikes in them yet - probably in a week or so after they are broken in.

They seem on par with the Strikers I've had.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Those are nice as well.  As you mentioned they were on par with your strikers, I wondered if you might comment on the durability of the Striker soles?  General consensus seems to be they are comforatble, but the soles don't hold up very well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Those are nice as well.  As you mentioned they were on par with your strikers, I wondered if you might comment on the durability of the Striker soles?  General consensus seems to be they are comforatble, but the soles don't hold up very well.

Thanks!

FWIW: I destroy boots - always have.  I bought a pair of Justins in March - started wearing them full time to work Mid June.  They are almost trashed - sole wore most of the way down, leather like glove leather (no support)

I had the Non Goretex ones.

So...I only wore the Strikers outside - mostly while wandering around a ranch.  And I walk a lot - not uncommon for me to walk 10 - 15 miles a day on Sat and Sun.  They held up very well.  I figured the soles would rip and tear quickly, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Got a little more than a year before they were trashed - worn just about everyweekend.  Insoles continued to provide good support - although seemed to be getting kinda flat near the end of their servicability.  The sides of the boot provide good ankle support, and the design of the sole seemed to provide good lateral foot support.  All in all, I highly recommend them- they're good boots when used in the right arena.

They're not too bad for running - then again, what boot is good for running?

Be advised though, they are not the same caliber as Acadias.

I wouldn't recommend them for extended hiking trips while carrying 60lbs in a pack.  I think the soles are (comparatively) too flexible.  

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

FWIW: I destroy boots - always have.  I bought a pair of Justins in March - started wearing them full time to work Mid June.  They are almost trashed - sole wore most of the way down, leather like glove leather (no support)

I had the Non Goretex ones.

So...I only wore the Strikers outside - mostly while wandering around a ranch.  And I walk a lot - not uncommon for me to walk 10 - 15 miles a day on Sat and Sun.  They held up very well.  I figured the soles would rip and tear quickly, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Got a little more than a year before they were trashed - worn just about everyweekend.  Insoles continued to provide good support - although seemed to be getting kinda flat near the end of their servicability.  The sides of the boot provide good ankle support, and the design of the sole seemed to provide good lateral foot support.  All in all, I highly recommend them- they're good boots when used in the right arena.

They're not too bad for running - then again, what boot is good for running?

Be advised though, they are not the same caliber as Acadias.

I wouldn't recommend them for extended hiking trips while carrying 60lbs in a pack.  I think the soles are (comparatively) too flexible.  

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info!  BTW...for those of you with the Acadias...I've heard that they run about 1/2 size small.  Has anyone a comment on this?  I'm leaning toward them and, since I'll have to order online (hate to do that with boots!) I'm hoping to avoid a ship back scenario if I can.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
BTW...for those of you with the Acadias...I've heard that they run about 1/2 size small.  Has anyone a comment on this?  I'm leaning toward them and, since I'll have to order online (hate to do that with boots!) I'm hoping to avoid a ship back scenario if I can.

Thanks!

Just a tiny bit shorter, but definitely narrower.  But I found they always stretched a bit, and ended up fitting almost perfectly.  Wearing them in a river once or twice worked well for breaking them in and stretching.  Just kina sucked as the Goretex seemed to want to keep the water IN the boot - had to take off and drain.

But...wearing a really thick pair of socks was out of the question.  Never needed to anyway and those boots are hot for me.

Some folks I know got them a half size bigger, though.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah, Danner's are notoriously narrow. buy from a good sourse that will process your return if it doesn't fit properly. US CAV and Brigade Q are great for situations like this.

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW...for those of you with the Acadias...I've heard that they run about 1/2 size small.  Has anyone a comment on this?  I'm leaning toward them and, since I'll have to order online (hate to do that with boots!) I'm hoping to avoid a ship back scenario if I can.

Thanks!

Just a tiny bit shorter, but definitely narrower.  But I found they always stretched a bit, and ended up fitting almost perfectly.  Wearing them in a river once or twice worked well for breaking them in and stretching.  Just kina sucked as the Goretex seemed to want to keep the water IN the boot - had to take off and drain.

But...wearing a really thick pair of socks was out of the question.  Never needed to anyway and those boots are hot for me.

Some folks I know got them a half size bigger, though.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the help all...I've gone with a pair of 200gram insulated Acadias...  I'm looking forward to my first pair.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
might want to consider these

Oakley Assault boot

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I loved my Danner Striker 45s for mixed surfaces. Lightweight and very cool. After three years of daily use replaced them with the 511 tactical. Not quite as cool but so far real nice. In actual rough terrain I think the Danners would hold up better.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I was issued Magnums at my job, and they seem to be holding up well. I've been wearing them for about a year and the soles still look pretty new. They don't go through anything like a boot camp, but they get some decent use out of them. They are also pretty comfortable.

However, I personally don't like the sneaker look, especially considering I have to wear them with slacks. I'd rather go with something that looks more like a boot. I've heard some great things about Wellco Tuffkushions. I think I'll pick some of those up the next time I need a boot. They are priced pretty reasonably as well.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Got mt Acadias from Cabela's in the mail today and I'm happy to say they fit and feel great.  Just a liitle break in time and I'm good to go!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Oakley Assault boot

www.diamondbacktactical.com/images/prodimages/SFAB-BK.jpg

Been searching for a pair of these thay are pricey at 225.00 though
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oakley Assault boot

www.diamondbacktactical.com/images/prodimages/SFAB-BK.jpg

Been searching for a pair of these thay are pricey at 225.00 though

$185 direct from Oakley, not in stock until 02/2006 though.oakley.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top