Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 12:20:08 PM EDT
   I know there are many companies who sell tactical nylon gear and equipment for the active person, I just wanted to get anyone's opinion on Blackhawk's products ? Are there products to expensive or overrated and what would you consider buying from them if the prices were within your budget? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Pancho
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Their vests are well worth the price in my oppinion.  

They are of a much higher quality than most and have a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#2]
There ARE many companies out there.  I'd buy from one that sold an American-made product.  Blackhawk got in the game early and made a big name, fast...so fast, that many GI Joes know only Blackhawk as the sole alternative to GI issue gear.  Now, alot of Blackhawk is made in Vietnam, etc.  Browse this forum for other choices, I hope it helps you as it has me.

All The Way,
RED
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Blackhawk is made in Vietnam. Enough said.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Their vests are well worth the price in my oppinion.  

They are of a much higher quality than most and have a lifetime warranty.

What kind of gear other gear have you used? Blackhawk is mediocre at best.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Theres your blackhawk. They started out right, then got greedy. Buy american OPTACTICAL tell where gear is made. I would suggest High Speed Gear, Spec Ops, Tactical Taylor, or a company like that. Buy american,
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
most of my gear is either blackhawk or Eagle.
i noticed the blackwawk tends to chafe more.  the eagle is a smoother softer nylon.
both are good.  it's all in what you want but be sure to get gear that can change as much as possible.
like a vest that takes multiple kinds of pockets.  
be sure to try both on and see which vest.   not necessarily which manufacturer fits your needs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my Blackhawk! setup for sale, check the link.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Crye Precision, Kifaru, & High Speed Gear have me well covered.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Great choices! I bet you never once regretted the money you spent either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/ehaii9.gif
Theres your blackhawk. They started out right, then got greedy. Buy american OPTACTICAL tell where gear is made. I would suggest High Speed Gear, Spec Ops, Tactical Taylor, or a company like that. Buy american,

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I love my stuff.  Very tuff
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#13]
My problem with Blackhawk is not that it's made in Vietnam, but that they have it made in Vietnam and don't pass the savings on to the consumer. They still sell the product for the same as, or sometimes even higher prices than U.S. made gear.

SDS has their commercial line made in Vietnam and pass the savings on to us, that doesn't bug me at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great choices! I bet you never once regretted the money you spent either.

Not regretted at all.  Performance based buying.  I've got the Crye combat gear(pants/shirts w/pads) and ordered bulk multi-cam fabric as well (have my own seamstress & make less tech gear i.e. recon cargo pants & shirts, etc.,).  I'm just waiting on their armor to be available, but getting impatient ~ may have to pull the trigger on another source if they don't make product available soon.  Kifaru's pointman w/2 aux holsters & the gun bearer + an E&E pack ~ good amount of gear + my M4 at the ready, with .338LM and another rifle (will switch to LW .499 if/when the group buy materializes, lol) secured on the pack (aux holsters).  HighSpeed's chest harness (12 30rd AR15 mag cap.) & drop holster (1911 sidearm) + etc., etc., and I'm farily well accommodated for short excursions.

Back on topic ~> re:Blackhawk.  I am not familair with their operations (the "made in Viet" is ).  

I have read (& confirmed with Crye rep) that blackwater gear are working on some product/partnership with Crye & Micael's of Oregon.   That seems decent/promising.  Does anyone have leads/details on if this gear is available yet?

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 Kifaru's pointman w/2 aux holsters & the gun bearer + an E&E pack ~ good

Paje, how do you like the aux holsters? I am thinking of getting one for my Eagle LRRP Force Ruck.
Do they attach to standard molle webbing?

ETA Product pic

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Paje, how do you like the aux holsters? I am thinking of getting one for my Eagle LRRP Force Ruck.
Do they attach to standard molle webbing?

The aux holders work very well ~ easy to rig very tight.  Here's Kifaru's piece: " This Holster is designed to carry additional long guns, sniper rifles, skis or other awkward long objects. Like our Combat GunBearer, it holds them with rock solid stability - but without the quick draw convenience of the upper strap. This holster affixes to the sides or back of your pack for long marches, while your Combat GunBearer lends fast access to your primary weapon. The holster cradles the lower end of your gear, while the upper portion can be secured with our upper Auxiliary Holster Strap, the EMR compression straps, or compressed under your side pockets.

All these GunBearers can attach anywhere on our packs, so you can add multiple units for carrying more than one firearm.
"

Roger on the webbing ~ the unit attaches via tab-locking of two strong yet flexible polymer strips in a heavy stitched nylon sheath.  The holster is soft but durable neoprene-type (heavier and thinner) material and has an adjustable drop (~12") via nylon strap w/plastic buckle that extends down from the tab-locked portion.   There's also one additional nylon strap/buckle provided (the "upper Auxiliary Holster Strap").

There's nothing that'll make carrying a couple of extra rfiles in addtion to all the other gear any lighter but it's not awkward ~ (can even rig them as to allow a half-decent full-loaded seat. )

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

There's nothing that'll make carrying a couple of extra rfiles in addtion to all the other gear any lighter but it's not awkward ~ (can even rig them as to allow a half-decent full-loaded seat. )

Great! I know it won't make the load lighter, but some of the places I hunt have very dense under-growth. It's realy a pain in the ass trying to hump all my gear on my back and carrying a rifle in hand through the trees. It would be nice to free up my hands for spider webs and briars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top