Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 6:18:02 AM EDT
I've been thinking about swapping my current vest and going modular so I can gain some extra space and carrying capability but I can't really find exactly what I'm looking for.  So I had an idea last night...

I'm now considering keeping my current vest and adding a MOLLE leg panel to gain the extra storage I'm looking for.  I plan to mount a couple mag pouches or SAW pouch depending on what I need to carry, they could potentially have up to 80-120 rounds of .308 in them...too much weight?

Any thoughts or experience would be great.

I've been looking at the BHI version but could easily be talked into something else.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Thanks for the help.  

What I'm trying to do is find a way to ocassionally carry more than six M14 mags.  I've got an Eagle Tac V1 N A and really like it other than the mag carrying capacity.  My initial thought was to get a vest like the BHI STRIKE Omega or something similar and put my own pouches on it but as I did some looking around, I noticed that the mag pouches that hold two and three M14 mags will not only put a lot of weight in one spot but also make me extremely wide.

What have you seen being used to carry 8-12 M14 mags?  Or do most guys with .308 not try to carry that much ammo?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Your not gonna like all that weight on your leg..  i have ran a leg rig for a awhile no and like it, but the secret is to minmize the load. Honestly, I've seen pics of guys wearing 6 M4 mags on their leg rig..... wholly weight and bulk swingin from you leg.

I run a SoTech Drop leg panel. small and stays put. then I added a SoTech 3 mag shingle that holds 3 M4 mags. I added a TT triple pistol mag mouch on the outside of the Shingle aataching it with PALS. with loaded mags it was heavy and stuck out to far. I had the shingle modified to only hold 2 M4 mags and one single pistol mag pouch right next to it. That hit the sweat spot. not a lot of weight and more importantly the load stays close to my leg, nothing to stick out and catch on.

I use the first mag for my Emergency reload. its right there. I drop my hand down and it falls right on top of the mag. makes for smokin fast reloads. I also have heard nothing but great things about Genes HSGear leg rigs as well and I have also heard nothing but great things about Tactical Tailors small Drop leg panel as well. So there are three choices right there to look at.  There are other drop down panels,but i think they tend to be a bit on the large side and take up more space. Drop leg rigs are specialized and not for everybody, certainly not for long range patroling/Humping the boonies. but for short duration type/CQB/3 gun type work, they have a place.

just my $.02
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I like the Specter and AITES drop leg platform.  I personaly find anything more then 4 mags on it akward.  I once put a saw drum pouch on there.  Making a movement though the woods with that was not only loud, it was akward.  Perhaps a dump pouch would be good, I have sometimes used it to hold maps and pens and what not.

I think past 5-6 pounds it gets akward.  But thats the good thing about a molle platform, you can customize it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If you went with a modular vest you could use 2 HSGI double Universal mag pouches to get 8 on the vest or chest rig. Then add a couple on a modular leg platform with an Esstac double wedge. 10 mags in all, and none of it is very bulky or cumbersome. The HSGI pouch holds 4 M14 mags nicely. I have used a similar setup with good results.

Just an idea
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I made a 6 mag leg pouch, not very pleasant to walk/run with.   Especially if other leg isn't weighed down with stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
the DiamondBackTactical leg panel has MOLLE and ballistic protection. i prefer to fill it up with pistol magazines and a flashlight. rifle magazines make it too bulky. running with more than 4 rifle mags, is like having a midget hump your leg.

leg panel

i'm running 8 magazines on my waist. 4 on a plate carrier/vest(4 single pouches) and 4 on a modular waist belt(2 double pouches --- 1 pouch on each hip). 160 rounds is plenty for the marksman/sniper roles of a .308 rifleman. having single pouches on the front of the carrier makes it easier to lie prone. with 4 mags on removable waist belt, i can easily unsnap the belt and lay the pouches in front of me and grab mags as needed, with a small bag on the rear of the belt used as a rest. if you never find yourself lying on the ground, ignore what i just said.

waistbelt
carrier
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Thanks men...good info and much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
The easiest way I have seen to carry M14 mags is to simply use M-16 three mag ALICE pouches, which will hold 2 M14 mags each.  Four pouches gives you eight mags.  A SAW pouch will hold 4 mags according to a post I saw on m14forum.com. so you could always just use two SAW pouches

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#11]

For anyone who is interested, for now I have decided to stick with my Eagle Tac vest which will hold six M14 mags plus one more in the left chest pouch if I don't need that pouch for anything else.  I've added two Spec Ops X-4 pouches to my belt which will easily hold two M14 mags each.  Spec Ops says they will hold three M14 mags but it takes some stretching to get three in there.  

I'm still not happy with the "bulk" that this has added, but I guess just about anything is going to do that.  I've gotten spoiled by the tight fit and slim profile of the EAgle vest with only 6 or 7 mags and nothing but a holster hanging off the belt.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top