Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 3:54:05 PM EDT
Practical Tactical PT-03 MESA Assault Vest

Or...

Tactical Tailor Modular Tac-Vest

Anyone have experience with one (or both)?

I am looking for a good molle vest, and those two jump to mind. Any other recommendations for molle vests? (And places that actually sell them! I was thinking about a CTAC molle vest, but other than calling CTAC, nobody actually carries them, right?)
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Please explain your purpose more specifically and your approximate size.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Does one of those vest not fit taller guys well? I am 6'3", 245, with fairly broad shoulders and a thick neck, which has caused problems with some (chest rig) setups in the past. The most comfortable setup I have used is a British DPM Soldier 95 vest, which is what I would sort of be looking to replicate, but with more mag pouches. (The S95 can 'officially' carry 6 30-rd mags, though of course you can cram many more into the utility pockets.)

I am looking to put together a vest that will carry 10 or so AR mags, room for a basic first aid kit, hydration on back, and 4 or so pistol (Sig 229) mags, and some sundry bits. Nothing earth shattering. I am definitely going modular on this setup; the only question is which base will I build it on?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't own one myself, but I've heard great things about the MESA vest.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I personally ran into the same problem that Militarymoron did in that because there is no taper for your neck it can cut into the sides of your neck. If you think you'll get used to it, think again. My personal opinion is that you have to be... well... fat for it to fit correctly. If you haven't seen his review check it out here. It is very well made as all of HSGI's stuff is and the built in external hydration pouch on the back is a nice addition.

I did go through the same exact choices that you are right now and went with the MESA. I sent mine back to Gene to have him put two more rows of PALS webbing up on the shoulders so I could put a radio pouch up there (the tactical tailor one has some already). I did end up selling the MESA recently feeling that all along I should have just went with a Weesatch. Now with all the revisions (dual buckle and the option to wear as a chest rig), built in magazine slots, and optional bungee retainers the Weesatch seems superior even more so.

The MESA is a nice piece of gear but after owning one my feeling is that there are better choices out there in the same price range. I think that it's use may fit for someone with very specific requirements. To contradict myself yet again, I can't say I was disappointed with the MESA at all.

Another word of warning here. Be careful with MOLLE stuff on a mesh base. Even on the MESA I noticed some of the stitching coming slightly loose after two pouch changes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Dang, forgot to check MM. Thanks for the link.  I'll check out the Weesatch. As for the Molle/mesh, that's why the CTAC molle base jumped to mind, but I don't know how easy that would be to get. Only one way to find out , I suppose

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
i just bought a vest and know some of the issues that quickly develop with them ... please refer to my post on another vest related thread ... sizing, side adjustments, and vest material will be very important to you
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=186601
good luck
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
have you thought about using the TacTailor 2-piece MAV unit?  freeride21a and i are pretty big guys, and we set two up with the x-harness, 7 ar mags in singles (7th on center adapter), 2 triple mag pistol pouches, a holster sitting high-ride, and a small radio pouch for gps and they are damned comfortable.  i'll tell him to post pics of his if you'd like, as i just tore mine down to switch to their new triple ar mag pouches (3x single mag in one panel).  the only drawback i see to the 2-piece MAV is not being able to take the bib add-on conveniently if you want to put gear high on the chest, but there is plenty of room for adjustment along the torso and the x-harness is as i said, damned comfortable with all that weight.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
have you thought about using the TacTailor 2-piece MAV unit?  freeride21a and i are pretty big guys, and we set two up with the x-harness, 7 ar mags in singles (7th on center adapter), 2 triple mag pistol pouches, a holster sitting high-ride, and a small radio pouch for gps and they are damned comfortable.  i'll tell him to post pics of his if you'd like, as i just tore mine down to switch to their new triple ar mag pouches (3x single mag in one panel).  the only drawback i see to the 2-piece MAV is not being able to take the bib add-on conveniently if you want to put gear high on the chest, but there is plenty of room for adjustment along the torso and the x-harness is as i said, damned comfortable with all that weight.  

I would love to see some pics of that setup when you get a chance, since I still haven't chosen. To complicate matters, I've seen these 'Hellcat Mk.2 and Mk.3' rigs, with the split centers, which look pretty darned appealing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]
in the photo im 5-11 265lbs  with an 18.5" neck(that was a few months ago..ive lost about 15 since then!)
And I have never had a problem at all with the mav/x-harness setup!  I love it!

(not seen is the 7th mag pouch which goes where the fastex buckles are.)

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Outstanding looking setup. Thanks for the pic!

1) What mag pouches are those? TT?

2) The center panel that goes over the fastex; how does it attach? Do you think its sturdy?

ETA: 3) That is tan, I presume?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

2) The center panel that goes over the fastex; how does it attach? Do you think its sturdy?

1) TT single 556 pouches (Blackhawk are exact copy made in communist Vietnam for $1 more)

2) attaches with same connectors as the TT Interceptor upgrade buckles (on that, you can really crank down on the buckles, so being that the center is just two velcro panels, WAY sturdy)

3) tan is correct
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) TT single 556 pouches (Blackhawk are exact copy made in communist Vietnam for $1 more)

2) attaches with same connectors as the TT Interceptor upgrade buckles (on that, you can really crank down on the buckles, so being that the center is just two velcro panels, WAY sturdy)

3) tan is correct

Cool. Order submitted for:

X Harness
2-piece MAV
2 3-mag panels

All in OD, even though that darker tan would probably work well in Michigan. I'll get more panels when I see how this stuff fits together (maybe see how the 3-mag panels stack on each other?). I bet I would prefer my pistol on the vest than on a dropleg, but we'll see how much room I'll have.

Thanks again for the info and the pics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top