Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2020 5:39:40 PM EDT
From quail & rabbit, maybe some waterfowl, to turkey and deer. Also informal, very informal, clays.

I prefer walnut when it is an option.

Update: I just ordered a Benelli Montefeltro 26", satin walnut, in 12ga
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Remington V3 an option? I really like mine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Of the 3 you listed, OP, I vote Benelli
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd probably choose SBE3.  But it really comes down to how much you plan to shoot, and whether 3.5" chamber is important to you.  The Beretta A400 Excel's are beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Out of your three choices the Beretta. And only because the SBE series can have cycling issues with target loads(some work fine, some have issues)and they were known to shoot really high although supposedly Benelli fixed the issue.

My suggestion would be a Benelli M2 but it isn't available with wood, nor is the SBE 3.

I've handled and shot a new model "A5" and wasn't really that impressed. But I'm not a browning fan outside of their O/Us.

ETA. 3.5" shells are not needed for waterfowl with all the heavier than steel non toxic offerings these days.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing beats a Beretta auto, not even a Benelli.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a huge Browning shotgun guy, but out of the options listed, would go Beretta A400. If the Maxus was an option it may be a tougher decision for me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of your three choices the Beretta. And only because the SBE series can have cycling issues with target loads(some work fine, some have issues)and they were known to shoot really high although supposedly Benelli fixed the issue.

My suggestion would be a Benelli M2 but it isn't available with wood, nor is the SBE 3.

I've handled and shot a new model "A5" and wasn't really that impressed. But I'm not a browning fan outside of their O/Us.

ETA. 3.5" shells are not needed for waterfowl with all the heavier than steel non toxic offerings these days.
View Quote

3" steel #2's knock down geese just fine.  No need to spend $3 plus per shell for non toxic stuff.

Op I like Beretta, I shoot an A400 xtreme, it shoots everything from 2-3/4" target loads to 3-1/2" goose loads.  It's a big gun though, dwarfs my 30" o/u in the gun rack.  I like the synthetic camo set up for waterfowl - mostly because I don't have to worry about mud, rust, or dinged up stocks.  But I prefer traditional wood and blued steel on the clays ranges.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't overlook the Stoeger M3000. It's the same inertia recoil system of the Benelli. I've got over 3000 shells through mine without a single FTE, FTF, etc. Use it for all birds and rabbits. Mine is in the Realtree Max-5 camo pattern.

Dropped two turkeys this year, plus a bunch quail, dove, ducks, and a couple pheasants.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Beretta
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I will be the dissenter here OP.
I bought an A-5 years ago and it has been a great shotgun.
Personally I like the looks, and the inertia system is well proven.
Has probably about 1500 rds thru it, no stoppages whatsoever.

Eta- I have the basic 26” wooden stocked version.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
If Benelli is an option, it is the answer.

If not, Browning.

Gas guns are asking for problems.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Benelli makes a wood stocked SBE3. Model 10380.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:37:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 3:59:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I own sba3. cycles both heavy and light charge loads perfectly. From target/dove loads to 3.5 inchers for taking crane high out of the sky, That would be my recommendation.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Benelli or Beretta. I had an A5 Wicked Wing and got rid of it due to ejection problems.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#17]
A400. Not as picky as Inertia guns about light loads, but they're a little heavier (swings nicer). The kickoff system makes them feel much softer in recoil.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If not, Browning.

View Quote

I take it you have no experience with the Beretta A400 in that case. Very reliable, cleaning the gas system is very easy, and they swing nicer/shoot softer than Benellis. For me, Benelli guns feel too thin and light to shoot comfortably.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Benelli Montefeltro, a Beretta 391 and a Browning gold hunter. All have been fantastic guns and very reliable. If I had to choose one it would be the Benelli Montefeltro. It has been completely reliable with any shell and is a little bit lighter for all day walking, it also comes with a wood stock if you want.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I have a AL390 Silver Mallard.
If I was going to purchase another Semi Auto shotgun it would be another Beretta.
Probably the A400.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two Benelli's (SBE2 and M1) and two Beretta's (12 and 20 ga Urika AL391's).

Both my inertia guns have hiccupped from time to time, on a bad crimp, or shooting slugs (M1 was for 3gun).  Neither Beretta has ever malfunctioned.

If I could only have a single shotgun forever, it would be a tough choice between a Benelli M2 12 gauge, and a Beretta 20 gauge.  It is the softest shooting, most light and fieldable gun I have ever owned.  I bought it for my wife, and she loves it, but I steal it for dove hunting.... as I like it better than any of the other shotguns I have.

I'd still likely pick a Benelli M2.  That gun can do anything.... and do it forever.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Beretta A400
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll tell you what I always say.  If shotgun is the question Benelli is the answer.

DSC_5312-Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Coyote SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Quail SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 SBS Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1669-M2 Barrel Billboard by FredMan, on Flickr

It also works with a Title I barrel.

G0110357-Coakley9 Incoming Rooster-3_ by FredMan, on Flickr

E&F Drop The Hammer by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Beretta A400 is the best semi-auto Clay/hunting shotgun currently available
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Update: I just ordered a Benelli Montefeltro 26", satin walnut, in 12ga
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#26]
You wont have any ragrets.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked up the Montefeltro today. It is so light, it feels like a toy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I picked up the Montefeltro today. It is so light, it feels like a toy.
View Quote

Benelli shotguns are like Ferrari cars...
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I take it you have no experience with the Beretta A400 in that case. Very reliable, cleaning the gas system is very easy, and they swing nicer/shoot softer than Benellis. For me, Benelli guns feel too thin and light to shoot comfortably.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not, Browning.

If you don’t have a gas system...you don’t have to clean a gas system or deal with it failing.  

Benelli is everything you need and nothing you don’t as ounces are pounds and pounds are pain when carrying weight on long days.  

JMO
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you don’t have a gas system...you don’t have to clean a gas system or deal with it failing.  

Benelli is everything you need and nothing you don’t as ounces are pounds and pounds are pain when carrying weight on long days.  

JMO
View Quote

I remember my first pheasant trip hauling an 11-87 with 28" barrel all day long.  That thing wore me out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top