Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2018 11:35:19 AM EDT
At least I think I do. I've got a budget of about $2000 to be used at Cabelas (gift cards through work).

One area of my collection that is lacking is a pretty O/U. I've got an 870, 500, and an old semi auto predecessor to the 1100/1187.

I occasionally will shoot clays ar the cabin, but in about 5 years will likely get into real trap and sporting clays at a club. We just had twins, so it ain't happening for a while.

I'd also like the gun to be something that will retain some value over time, so I'd prefer established names versus the Turkish imports.

And, like I said, pretty is a priority. It wont be used in the field.

So, what shotguns should I start fondling and feeling? Initial guess from a very uneducated point of view is a 686.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to beat a Beretta 680 series gun.  I'd avoid the 690 series personally.   I'm a Beretta fan boy, but either a 686 sporting gun or a Browning 725 series would be a fine first o/u.  Shotguns are all about fit, Id get a Beretta or a Browning based on which fit better with the least amount of messing with.  For range guns seriously look for one with the adjustable comb - fighting a gun that doesn't fit right is an excercise in futility.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
My friend got a really nice CZ O/U from Cabelas
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO 682 Gold E's are the best sporting shotguns on the used market now value-wise.

Check out Joel Etchen Guns for Beretta stuff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My friend got a really nice CZ O/U from Cabelas
View Quote
I'm a CZ fanboy generally, but they're re-branded Huglus. They're fine for what they are, but they are in no way serious use sporting shotguns in the same league as the B-guns (which are only mid-grade anyways aside from top-end models)
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IMO 682 Gold E's are the best sporting shotguns on the used market now value-wise.

Check out Joel Etchen Guns for Beretta stuff.
View Quote
Yup.  The Gold E is a very good gun, it's the dominant skeet gun in our area.  It's a bit of a stretch from the stated budget though.

Several good vendors out there - Joel Etchen is top notch, watch Pacific Sporting Arms also.  I got my DT-10 from Hi-Grade Shooters out of Pittsburg several years ago, they were good to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Browning Citori Lightning.  I bought mine used.  It was tight then and is still tight.  Very well made shotgun. 

Browning  Should be $1600-$1800  (I paid $850)
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep an eye on the used gallery guns at your Cabela's. You can find a really nice Browning 525/625 for that money.

I got my last shotgun that way at Cabela's. Remington VersaMax Competition Tactical that looked unfired when I checked it out, original packaging and accessories (tools, chokes, mag extension, etc.). Less than $1200 OTD minus the couple hundred in Cabela's points I had on my card from them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a fan of vintage Spanish doubles, mostly side-by-sides but also over/unders.

If you know what you're looking at, there are some screaming deals on very high-quality guns.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Beretta or bust, and make it a 20g. You will love the slim European frame and handling that the Brownings lack. 20g is FAAAAR more pleasant to shoot than a 12g when you’re going through 2 to 4 boxes of shells and the 20g will retain value much better than a 12g.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Beretta or bust, and make it a 20g. You will love the slim European frame and handling that the Brownings lack. 20g is FAAAAR more pleasant to shoot than a 12g when you’re going through 2 to 4 boxes of shells and the 20g will retain value much better than a 12g.
View Quote
WTF are you talking about? Market for 20ga is much smaller and he's going to be at a massive disadvantage once he starts shooting seriously. At one point in my life I was going through a case or two in a weekend and another during the week and I was small potatoes. 12ga or bust unless you specifically want to shoot sub-gauge events (then skip the 20 and go right to 28!).

Also, I've been out of the scene for a while, but it seemed like sporting models could be had for $2,200 or so used nearly a decade ago. I assume they still hover around the $2k mark w/ the 690 series coming out.

I never liked the old Brownings, but some of their newer offers have slimmer receivers. To each their own.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
If you’re able to put a little more money aside, take a look at the Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting. I went from a Beretta O/U to a CG and it was night and day.

Edit:  you said you wanted pretty. Check out the wood on the CG.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you’re able to put a little more money aside, take a look at the Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting. I went from a Beretta O/U to a CG and it was night and day.

Edit:  you said you wanted pretty. Check out the wood on the CG.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379800/08CE2B52-485E-42DC-A2C6-59DB16C4E6DA-627440.JPG
View Quote
Definitely pretty, but looking to stick to that budget. I'm using gift cards given through work....and between newborn twins and extensive renovations, any gun I buy above that budget may end up being used on me by the boss lady at home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about? Market for 20ga is much smaller and he's going to be at a massive disadvantage once he starts shooting seriously. At one point in my life I was going through a case or two in a weekend and another during the week and I was small potatoes. 12ga or bust unless you specifically want to shoot sub-gauge events (then skip the 20 and go right to 28!).

Also, I've been out of the scene for a while, but it seemed like sporting models could be had for $2,200 or so used nearly a decade ago. I assume they still hover around the $2k mark w/ the 690 series coming out.

I never liked the old Brownings, but some of their newer offers have slimmer receivers. To each their own.
View Quote
Actually, 20 gauge over unders are very popular.

And 20ga is not a disadvantage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
20 ga is a disadvantage in trap. Its great for skeet, but usually on a 12 ga frame.

20 ga makes for a nice upland gun, but OP said hunting wasn't really in the cards for this gun.

I shoot more 20 ga than anything else, but I shoot a tubed 12 ga.   In target shooting weight is your friend, the heavier the gun the better.  Weight helps with recoil, and it helps smooth out the swing.

Most 20 gauges tend to be field guns, ie light weight.  This is fine for occasional range days or a day in the field, but its not great for lots of range time.

Look for a 686 sporting gun with adjustable comb, or an equivalent browning.   30" bbls, maybe 32".  I'd avoid 28" personally.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Definitely pretty, but looking to stick to that budget. I'm using gift cards given through work....and between newborn twins and extensive renovations, any gun I buy above that budget may end up being used on me by the boss lady at home.
View Quote
I can definitely relate to that. I had to sell a few safe queens to get the CG. Best of luck in finding the right O/U and congrats on the twins!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top