Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 7:51:25 PM EDT
Kinda new to shotguns...

I'm zeroing a Remington 20 gauge with the 18.5" barrel (smooth bore) using a non-magnified red-dot optic. Shooting Federal rifled slugs (1600 fps). I was getting 5 shot groups of 5-7 inches @ 50 yards. Normal? I know using a rifled barrel combined with a sabot slug would produce tighter groups, but wasn't sure if these results were normal using a smooth bore/rifled slugs. Basically I'm hitting a dinner plate @ 50 yards.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I think with the right load it could do a little better.  Fixed choke or threaded?  If you can change chokes, try IC. If you're already using IC, try another brand of ammo. Slug accuracy out of shotguns is pretty much Voodoo, where you just try different loads until you find the one it likes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think with the right load it could do a little better.  Fixed choke or threaded?  If you can change chokes, try IC. If you're already using IC, try another brand of ammo. Slug accuracy out of shotguns is pretty much Voodoo, where you just try different loads until you find the one it likes.
View Quote

It's threaded for a choke and came with IC. I purchased some Winchester Super X that is the same weight and velocity as the Federal to see if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
no My 12ga will be almost touching at 50. I can get get 3" groups at 100. If you can get some Tru-Ball these have grouped the best for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
no My 12ga will be almost touching at 50. I can get get 3" groups at 100. If you can get some Tru-Ball these have grouped the best for me.
View Quote

yes.@ 50 yards a 2 inch group. cheap winchester slugs benched.

I'm all 12 gauge now. havent played with a 20 in 8+ years. they are really a great gauge........limited on ammo choices.compared to a 12
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
OK...I was wrong. My 20 gauge came with a Modified choke, so I was getting those shitty groups with Modified installed. Should I purchase an IC choke? I've also been reading about chokes that are rifled so sabots can be used. What's the story on those?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

OK...I was wrong. My 20 gauge came with a Modified choke, so I was getting those shitty groups with Modified installed. Should I purchase an IC choke? I've also been reading about chokes that are rifled so sabots can be used. What's the story on those?
View Quote
I recommend tru-ball with IC choke. <3.5 inch center-to-center @ 100YD.   YMMV

I never used a rifled choke, so no comment on that.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
go buy every brand of slug you can find and snag a Cylinder and Modified Choke Tubes and head to the range. every scattergun is different. I have found that in several brands of shotguns that the cheap bulk pack Winchester slugs have grouped better than most.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
On a different note... How do you zero buckshot? At what distance. If you are zeroed @ 50 with a slug is it safe to assume you are zeroed with buckshot at distances less than 25 yards?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On a different note... How do you zero buckshot? At what distance. If you are zeroed @ 50 with a slug is it safe to assume you are zeroed with buckshot at distances less than 25 yards?
View Quote

you will have to pattern the round you pick. say Winchester,remmy,federal,reo,ect myself I have to aim belt buckle height at 25 yards for a chest ( center mass hit  ) with most of my shotguns. 25 yards is about max on buckshot 2 3/4".

At 25 yards you'll be getting a wide spread on buckshot..really 25 is pushin it to me. unless you use special heavy loads. 3". figuring a IC choke barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no personal experience with rifled choke tubes.  Some guys swear they are the best thing since sliced bread, others swear they are a useless gimmick.  Like so many things with shotguns, you'd probably just need to buy one and try it out.

As for buckshot, you need to pattern a specific load in your shotgun with the choke you plan on using.  No guarantee a particular setup that's zeroed for a slug at 50 yards will be "zeroed" for buckshot at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Purchased a Carlson's Rifled Choke Tube today for my Remington 20 gauge after reading extensive reviews. To make a long story short....rifled Foster type slugs are good to go with Remington Slugger and Federal Tru-Ball producing the best results with tight groups out to 100 yards. Sabot style slugs that are designed for FULLY rifled barrels are a no go with huge groups and key-holing @ 25 yards.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
go buy every brand of slug you can find and snag a Cylinder and Modified Choke Tubes and head to the range. every scattergun is different. I have found that in several brands of shotguns that the cheap bulk pack Winchester slugs have grouped better than most.
View Quote

I've  found the same thing in 12 gauge. Tight clover leafs at 50 with Winnie 10 packs out of IC 870. I've  had good groups with 1100 and Herter's slugs of all things!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top