Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2013 8:28:45 PM EDT
Got this 12 gauge Baikal Double barrel coming, that is a Russian, I think made in the Izmash armory.  Its a side by side w/ ejectors.  Probably the cheapest side by side w/ ejectors on the market, which is why I got it.  Poor fit'n'finish but I don't care about that, eventually I will SBS it...  

Anyway, its safety engages every time you open the gun.   Does anyone know how to disable the auto-safe feature but still have it to be used electively, just not automatically?

Edited to add: see further down for the caveats to removing the auto safe engage bar, and a description of how to do it to preclude both barrels firing at once.  

Also, see how I addressed a separate problem where the "selector arm" was not always catching under the the sear hooks to discharge the second barrel.

also about smoothing out the safety button

hopefully this will help someone else.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Take the stock off. Watch for the connecting rod that moves the safety button when you open the action lock lever.  Remove the connecting rod.

(Now before anyone gets too excited about disabling a safety keep in mind that the safety still works - but it now has to be manually pushed on or off…just like any 870, 500, high dollar target gun…etc)
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

(Now before anyone gets too excited about disabling a safety keep in mind that the safety still works - but it now has to be manually pushed on or off…just like any 870, 500, high dollar target gun…etc)
View Quote

Right. Target shotguns rarely have auto safeties. They're definitely a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Take the stock off. Watch for the connecting rod that moves the safety button when you open the action lock lever.  Remove the connecting rod.

View Quote

Excellent!  Sounds very simple.  How much stuff, besides the stock, to I have to take off or remove to get to the safety?  

Yeah, I don't want to hassle w/ the safety after a single barrel tactical reload or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Excellent!  Sounds very simple.  How much stuff, besides the stock, to I have to take off or remove to get to the safety?  

Yeah, I don't want to hassle w/ the safety after a single barrel tactical reload or whatever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve seen them carefully removed so they could be put back in and  I’ve seen them removed with pliers and the proper application of enough force , Just look in there and you'll decide how you want to handle it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright!  I got the mp210 and it works great!  With a little ahooting it has loosened up a little and it ejects empties with authority.  Has lots of sharps edges and fit is awful And the safety is sometimes wicked hard to click off but  she works great.

W Anyway, how too  take the butt off??  I see a screw holding the trigger guard down but that's it.  is it gonna be like the Saiga where I got to beat the stock off?

ETA: I glued some sand paper to a tiny wood stick and sanded this part under the safety button where there must have been a burr.  Not the safety button clicks on/off w/ a consistent and reasonable amount of force.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I found this vid whihc  shows a receiver sans stock

looks like all the lockwork stays attached to the receiver w/ the stock removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggntup32HhU
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]

The safety can be converted so it is a manual safety instead of an automatic safety. It will still work, but only when you put it on "safe" intentionally. When you take it apart, you will see a lever that actuates the safety when you open the action. You can remove this lever and the safety will come on when you put it on, and stay off when you switch it off like your rifle.
View Quote

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/TuneBaik.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
thank you sir.

yes, to remove the butt, remove the butt plate w/ two screws, then there is a long (slotted) screw recessed in a hole that holds the stock to the back of the receiver.  The stock pulls right off when the screw is removed and it and none of the action or lock-work parts will fall out w/o the butt stock.

ETA: Per the link in the post above, if the stock screw won't turn, the wood may have swollen and you may need an impact driver to break it loose.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Uh oh!!!!  I removed the auto safe bar easy, popped right when pried upon gently.  

But now when I pull the trigger, it is droppign both hammers as once

I don't know how the auto safe bar could be effecting the triggers.

Ill take the stock back off tomorrow when I get up and see what is going on...
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Uh oh!!!!
View Quote

Did the gun work properly before you made any modifications?

Either both hammers are falling when you pull one trigger – or  one hammer is not staying cocked when your open the action.

Can you determine which is happening? Unload the gun, take the stock off, open the action to cock both hammers, then pull one  trigger at a time to see whats going on.

Try the same exercise, but this time engage (turn on) the safety before your open the action to cockthe hammers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Okay,
when I open the action,  both hammers cock as they should, and both hammers fall w/ the trigger pull, regardless of which position the barrel selector switch is in...

The two black levers that get lifted by the trigger pull move sympathetically...
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Description of the problem caused by removing hte auto safe bar entirely:

Dangling from the top of the receiver is an assembly called the "selector arm assembly" that swings back and forth.  When you open the action it is reset forward and is out of the way.  For the first barrel to fire, the trigger selector button directly pushes up on a sear lever.  After you drop the first hammer, the selector arm assembly snaps to the rear under hooks on the rear of the sear levers.  When the selector arm is under the two rear sear hooks, it ties the two sears together.  When you pull the trigger again, the first sear will  move the second sear via the selector arm causing the second hammer to fall.  

Now if the selector arm does not reset to the forward position when you open the action but it will defaults to the rear, it will be tying both sear hooks together and pulling he trigger once will lift both sear levers & make both hammers fall.

When you remove the entire auto safe bar, it reduces how far the selector arm is pushed forward upon when opening the action...  This will make sense if you are looking at the gun while reading this.  The very front end of the auto safe bar is nestled into a groove machined in the back end of the locking bolt (big square bolt that slides back and forth to lock under the lugs on the bottom of the barrels).  That part of the auto safe bar is sandwiched between the locking bolt and this lever that pushes the selector arm assembly forward when the action is opened.  Removing that part of the auto safe bar effectively makes the locking bolt shorter, so it doesn't quite have enough reach to lever the selector arm assembly quite far enough to reset.  Therefore, every time you open the action, the selector arm stays in the rear position, tying both sears together for a double discharge.

Description of how to remove the auto safe bar and re install the front piece:
I don't think you can cut the bar right up there by the locking bolt w/ it in place.  You might cut the middle of the bar and rip out rear half to make the front half easier to remove for further cutting.  

To lift that lever out of the way that captures the front of the auto safe bar against he locking bolt, squeeze it  w/ some needle nose pliers.  Put one jaw under the lobe on the back of the lever, and the other on top of the unlocking lever bar on top of the receiver.  Use tape or something to prevent scratching.  When you get it out, cut off the front end of the auto safe bar, the part that goes between the locking bolt and that lever, leaving a little tab on there to hold on to.

To reinstall, squeeze open the space w/ the pliers again, and use a second pair of needle nose pliers to put the (now) little piece back in there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 2:34:44 AM EDT
[#14]
an intermittent trigger reset problem w/ the "selector arm assembly" has developed. :

Sometimes, the selector arm is getting hung up.  The result is that after discharging the first barrel, the trigger is not able to lift the sears to discharge the second barrel.  

The selector arm assembly does pivot to the rear after I fire the first barrel, but selector arm itself is getting hung against the faces of the hooks on the back of the sear levers.  This happens if I am especially slow and gentle w/ the trigger. If I flick the trigger, let it snap forward once or twice, things will fall into place, but obviously this is unacceptable for a SD gun, or any gun really.

The selector arm spring just need a tiny tiny bit more juice to push the selector arm down so it catches under the hooks in the rear of the sears in order to fire the second barrel (whichever).  

I polished all the mating surfaces I can w/o disassembly.  I will have to remove the selector arm assembly and take it apart to polish the burrs inside the selector arm base on on the selector arm.  I also need a source for a tiny .088/1.5mm OD spring that is just slightly stronger that will fit in the selector arm base...  

If no one has a part number from Wolff or brownells or mcMaster of a spring, how would I go about getting the info I need to source another one?  

Also, when I try to drive out the pin that the selector arm assembly dangles from I keep bending my 1/16" punch Pro tips???

Thx
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Fix for the problem where selector arm was getting hung and not snapping under the rear sear hooks:

As to getting stubborn tiny pins out, I bought some extra 1/16" punches and shortened them so they are stiffer and can be used as starter punches.  Then you can use the longer, more fragile punches after you get it started.

I eventually found a source for tiny springs.  After I got the assembly removed and was able to mic the spring and know what I was looking for I called Wolff and looked on brownelles, McMaster, Grainger etc.  Wolff did have a bag of like 50 assorted spring that might have had something that would have worked, but they didn't have details about exactly what was in there.  Anyway, I found a great company called Reid Industrial Supply that sold all sorts of tiny springs piecemeal.  They were like $.50 each, US mail shipping & handling was only like $5.  Not too bad.  I got a few.  

I ended up settling on a a S-320, a .088" OD x .012" wire diameter x .5" long spring.  The factory spring in there was made from .088 or smaller wire diameter, and was a hair longer.  The S-320 gave the extra power to always push the selector arm down, and it would not get over compressed in the assembly.  The trigger is a little heavier for it though, but no big deal to me.  If I cared more about the trigger, I probably would have cut down a 3/4" long spring made from .010" wire diameter, part # S-310.  

Anyway, now it is 100% and way better than any Stoeger ever hoped to be on account of its ejectors.  If I was like upper middle class and didn't have time for project guns, I probably would have just bough a beretta or browning double to chop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#16]
also, EAA customer service sucked.  I called three different times leaving messages w/ receptionist to get a call back from a gun smith and never did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top