Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2010 11:11:07 AM EDT
Was considering it for one of my 870's, anybody have an opinion?  

I've never even seen one face to face, I don't like the CAR/M4 setup on an AR so I've never considered it.  

How's the cheek weld area and the buttpad performance for a 12ga?

Any good replacement buttpads, or anything that helps it on a shotgun?

Does the MOE, without the friction lock thing, grab beard/mustache hairs like the CTR?

thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a MOE on my AR and I have to be careful with my face hair

I haven't shot a shotgun with a MOE or CTR. Many are well taken with the MESA Tactical system with the buffer. They also add the Magpul enhanced recoil pad to their MOE/CTR.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to run an AR-15 buttstock on a shotgun, may I suggest this to help soften the recoil of a 12 gauge.  It's a bit sharper than a 5.56mm round, and this helps a bit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you want to run an AR-15 buttstock on a shotgun, may I suggest this to help soften the recoil of a 12 gauge.  It's a bit sharper than a 5.56mm round, and this helps a bit.

Why not use the one made for it?
magpul pad
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a MOE on my AR and I have to be careful with my face hair

I haven't shot a shotgun with a MOE or CTR. Many are well taken with the MESA Tactical system with the buffer. They also add the Magpul enhanced recoil pad to their MOE/CTR.

Thats a bummer, what is it that actually grabs your hair?  

This would be without any kind of buffer system, i'm already over budget, and i don't mind recoil.  That said, a bad buttplate, or cheekweld area and I start to mind fast.

Might end up with the ACE, so far it looks like the best fit, but not cheap.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thats a bummer, what is it that actually grabs your hair?  

This would be without any kind of buffer system, i'm already over budget, and i don't mind recoil.  That said, a bad buttplate, or cheekweld area and I start to mind fast.

Might end up with the ACE, so far it looks like the best fit, but not cheap.

The part where the tube slides in the stock grabs me when I move it forward with my face on the stock. I just have to lift my head a little when I am doing this and its fine.

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The ACE Socom stock doesn't take high recoil that well. ACE says that the highest caliber that should be used is 7.62x39, or 5.45x39; I can't remember which one. I have the ACE and shoot .223 with it on my AR15. My ACE has similar marks to the linked one; although the stock is still functional.

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Magpul CTR mounted to a Mossberg 500 Mils-Gun and also have the Magpul extended pad.
Good recoil control, adjustable length of pull, you can add additional cheekpieces in three different heights which will get your face off the stock to reduce hair grabbing.
I have found with the adapter I am using,(Armstech LLC), the Tangodown pistol grip works best for me.
I am also using a VLTOR mil-spec diameter extension tube that allows for additional storage in the tube.
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Magpul CTR mounted to a Mossberg 500 Mils-Gun and also have the Magpul extended pad.
Good recoil control, adjustable length of pull, you can add additional cheekpieces in three different heights which will get your face off the stock to reduce hair grabbing.
I have found with the adapter I am using,(Armstech LLC), the Tangodown pistol grip works best for me.
I am also using a VLTOR mil-spec diameter extension tube that allows for additional storage in the tube.
Good stuff.

Thanks for the pic, i was wondering how it would look exactly like yours.

What do you think of that ArmsTech stock adapter?  Thats the one I picked.   It's not too popular so I can't find much opinion about it.   Looks like the same one is also sold by the MAKO group.  

Not sure yet how I feel about the plastic it's made out of, but it's actually very solid feeling.  Mostly, I'm concerned about the threads holding the stock in.  The ArmsTech has a great shape, the grips pretty good, and the stock angle seems about perfect, except for the buttplate angle is slightly different than original, but it's usable.  We busted about 20 clays with mine the other day , both me and my brother really liked the gun, though my current stock is too long.

I didn't like most of the other adapters, the most popular ones seemed to suck to be honest, either the stock was wrong, or the grip, or both.  I didn't like the MESA LEO/low tube at all, I liked that it was aluminum but the casting it was made of seemed to need some more meat on it, and it felt wrong. The high tube adapters looked nice for a high tube gun, but I don't want high tube.

I'm building this gun for a very specific role, and it has to fit pretty odd specs, but they're important to me since I'm a finicky bitch when it comes to my shotguns.    I been shooting a stock 870 now for 24 years. Stock angle, cheekweld and grip are of the utmost importance, it has to be as close to original as possible.  I realize the pistol grip isn't, but the transition to a pistol grip is much easier than transitioning to stock geometry that's all wrong.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The ArmsTech is made from the same basic polymer as a Glock frame so I wouldn't worry too hard about it not holding up or holding the tube but,,,
I didn't care for the little tab that the adapter end plate aligns on, I feel this is the weak point of the adapter, so I replaced the tab with a set screw.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, it's good to know it's Glock plastic.  Makes me feel better.  I was a machinist, I know my metals, but when it comes to plastic, I'm clueless.  It seems similar to the Magpul MIAD plastic too.

I'm not sure quite what tab you speak of, or the ring......is it on the rear of the adapter, under the castle nut?  Mine didn't have that, it had a hole on the bottom with a set screw......maybe a new generation.

I like the adapter so far, seems great. Very solid feeling.  I wish I had the balls to smack something with the stock and see if it breaks, but I got too much money wrapped up in it.

I decided on the ACE stock to start with, just because I'm furry, should be here today sometime. My only fear is it'll be too short, which was why I considered the CTR, for the adjustability.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck with that ACE because it's only warrantied up to 5.45x39. If you read my post above a 458 Socom killed someone's ACE stock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good luck with that ACE because it's only warrantied up to 5.45x39. If you read my post above a 458 Socom killed someone's ACE stock.

Oh, poo, I thought I replied to your post, but I didn't mean the SOCOM stock, sorry about that.

The Ace I meant was the ARFX-E, and it worked out perfect, I'm glad I got it. The length is short/perfect, the butt angle is wrong, but I expected that, I put the buttpad on upside down, that helped a bit, it's close enough for me.  

Can't wait to try it in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, poo, I thought I replied to your post, but I didn't mean the SOCOM stock, sorry about that.

The Ace I meant was the ARFX-E, and it worked out perfect, I'm glad I got it. The length is short/perfect, the butt angle is wrong, but I expected that, I put the buttpad on upside down, that helped a bit, it's close enough for me.  

Can't wait to try it in the morning.
Yeah I dumped my M4 Socom stock it's way to heavy for my AR-15 in my opinion. I don't like ACE that much anymore. Heavy product, and sling mounting options are a bit different. The stocks don't seem to fit too well in my shoulder pocket either.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Put about a hundred rounds through it today.  Some clays, some cardboard, and a few in the hill for function checks.

The thing ran great, the ACE stock is perfect, although it's short enough now that if I don't pay attention when I swing left and fire, the hinge will hit me in the upper lip.  Only did it once though.  The buttpad seems good enough, I shot some 3" stuff and have no complaints.

The ERGO grip worked out perfect too, the MIAD I had on it tended to drive the sharp stippling into my hand when it was folded.  Especially with hotter loads.  The rubber ERGO grip was just what it needed.  Are there any other rubber overmold grips out there other than the Hogue?

I think this thing has earned a muzzle crown and some sights.   I had some difficulties with the follower hanging on the mag extension, I need to work on that too, maybe a new follower to start, it still has the shit plastic one in it, and I have a nordic around here somewhere.

For as much of a gamble as this shotgun has been, it's worked out great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top