Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 10:44:17 AM EDT
I wanna get a nice shotgun for HD and possibly 3 Gun matches some day. Would the Tactical 1100's be a better choice than the 870? I know and have always liked 870's but for future 3 gun... maybe the 1100 is better?

The only possible problem with 1100's is their ammo reliability. I really like the option to shoot light bird shot all the way on up to slugs. Are the 1100's any more adapted to that these days or do you still need heavy loads?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how you can get more reliable for HD than a pump.  I think you would be best defended by saving the money, being patient, and getting both
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
You can answer your own question.  Go to a three gun match and watch the shotgun matches and spend the day there.  Take a sheet of paper and put a line down the center of it to make two colums.  At the top of one write "Pump" at the top of the other write "Semi-auto.  does not matter which brand, just the action.   While watching the matches and you see see a shooter have a malfuction of any kind, put a check under pump if he is using a pump or semi-auto if that is what he is using.   At the end of the day add up the checks.   Get the action with the leaset checks..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an 11-87 for 3 Gun and an 870 for HD.

I had to try 3 or 4 different loads to get the 11-87 to run reliably. The cheap stuff at WalMart would not cycle.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My 1100 TAC-2 will cycle Rio low recoil 00 buckshot at 1200 FPS, but not Remington low recoil 00 buckshot at 1200 FPS.  It reliably cycles any load with enough power.  I've shot it using all types of grips and stances and it hasn't choked once, I trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
All four of my 1100's cycle any ammo I use, even the really light 7/8 oz skeet loads.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
For HD, I would have to say pump because of how simple and reliable it is.

For three gun, auto-loader all the way because you are racing to beat the clock.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My work shotgun is a 870P  w/surefire forend. My game/hunting gun is a 1100 Tac4.

The 1100 has cycled everything but the Walmart Winchester target Val-Pak loads fine.

A properly maintained semi is perfect for 3-gun. Just make sure you test out the cheap stuff first. Not a bad idea to try out several different loads and find out what works best for you.

If I'm breaking out the SG at work then the SHTF already and a pump is the tool needed.

I would get a good 870 first. When the pump starts slowing you down in 3-gun then get a semi for fun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are going to 3 gun go 1100. Sure a pump is simple, but the amount of practice you get with the 1100 at competitions will leave you more than able to wield the semi in a HD situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top