Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2008 10:04:16 PM EDT
Saw one of these the other day at my local store. Looked pretty nice.  Anyone have any opinions? Tried one out?  

www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=011B&cat_id=012&type_id=244
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I was so stoked about these when they first came out. I got two matching highly finished BPS's when I was a kid, a 12 and a 20. I love both guns, probably the finest field pump ever. I always pined for a HD/LE version of the BPS but it wasn't feasable unless Browning made one. They made a few BPS's with 18.5 inch tubes, synthetic stocks and 5 round capacity for a few LE contracts, but those guns are impossible to find and suck compared to the Hicap.

If you like the BPS, the hicap is a great choice for a defensive pump. Its a very robust and dependible weapon. The elimination of the ejection port reduces the amount of crap that can enter the receiver. The gun is also good for lefties since the shells eject from the bottom. The price is also excellent, especially when you consider the quality.
I paid 269.00 NIB for mine...

While its a great gun, it isn't perfect. There is zero aftermarket support as of now. I would love to see a pistolgrip and side saddle, but neither exist AFAIK...atleast they didn't a few months ago. The Ithaca side saddle may fit the BPS as they are very similar, but I am not certain. Ithaca stocks mak work too, but again I am unsure. The guns are quite similar...The bottom feed also makes it difficult to varify the guns condition. You can get the hang of it, but its not as easy as checking an 870. Cleaning is also a huge pain in the ass. The manual forbids disassembly past removing the barrel. Should you decide to go past this, better bring your A game. There are lots of little parts and its nowhere near as easy as stripping an 870/500. Better know what you are doing or you will be going to your smith with a bag full of parts. Other shotguns don't reccomend full stripping, but a HD gun needs to be cleaned regularly. Pumps are more forgiving of crud than other weapons, but a dirty pump can and will fail. The BPS is a very reliable weapon ,as reliable as any other pump, but it should be disassembled and cleaned with some regularity. You will get the hang of it after a while or with some further instruction, but if this is outside your comfort level most smiths will clean your gun for like 20.00.

Overall, the BPS is a great pump action shotgun. It has some quirks, but its as reliable/durable as other pumps and would make an excellent HD weapon. The quality is typical Browing-excellent and the price is competive, or less expensive than other HD pumps. 325.00 seems to be the going rate around here... If you want a solid, bone stock HD gun, this would be an excellent choice. There won't ever be as many parts for it as the 870, but someone will probably start making stocks and such for it.

Unfortunatly, I sold my BPS Hicap, 1200/1300's, 870's and 500/590's. Instead of owning a gaggle of pumps, I went with a few Benellis. I have a Benelli M2 Tactical, M3 Tactical, Supernova Tactical and Supernova H20 instead of the gaggle I had before. I love my Benelli's, but I still miss my 1300 Defender and BPS Hicap. I see myself buying another BPS Hicap as a truck gun or something if I can find one used.

If you like them, buy one...great guns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one as I wingshoot with a BPS so its second nature to operate it.  I agree that right now there is zero aftermarket parts, and I would love a pistol grip stock or one of the Knox Stocks.

I read somewhere that they would only make 2000 of these.  Maybe they are just gauging the market?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

While its a great gun, it isn't perfect. There is zero aftermarket support as of now. I would love to see a pistolgrip and side saddle, but neither exist AFAIK...atleast they didn't a few months ago. The Ithaca side saddle may fit the BPS as they are very similar, but I am not certain. Ithaca stocks mak work too, but again I am unsure. The guns are quite similar...The bottom feed also makes it difficult to varify the guns condition. You can get the hang of it, but its not as easy as checking an 870. Cleaning is also a huge pain in the ass. The manual forbids disassembly past removing the barrel. Should you decide to go past this, better bring your A game. There are lots of little parts and its nowhere near as easy as stripping an 870/500. Better know what you are doing or you will be going to your smith with a bag full of parts. Other shotguns don't reccomend full stripping, but a HD gun needs to be cleaned regularly. Pumps are more forgiving of crud than other weapons, but a dirty pump can and will fail. The BPS is a very reliable weapon ,as reliable as any other pump, but it should be disassembled and cleaned with some regularity. You will get the hang of it after a while or with some further instruction, but if this is outside your comfort level most smiths will clean your gun for like 20.00.

IMHO Doesn't really seem worth it then unless you're just a Browning guy and nothing else will do.  Thanks for the info...
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, its kind of personal preference. If you are a guy who has to add tons of shit to thier guns, the BPS hicap definatly isn't for you. Its not perfect, but it would make an excellent, plain-jane, affordible HD shotgun...especially if you are most familar with the BPS. While its a good gun, no pump can compare to the Supernova or Nova.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m not a tacticool kind of guy so the lack of add-ons don't bother me.  What does bother me is the complicated nature of the BPS as you explain it. especially when the 870, 500/590 and even the nova/supernova are so simple and easy to completely break down and clean. So much so that one could do it blindfolded with some practice.  From your description of the BPS, that couldn't be done.  
here are mine. minus a '79 wingmaster 30" , a 61 Winchester model 12 in 20ga and a stevens .410 single shot.
Franchi SPAS12 complicated & heavy but sexy as hell.
Mossberg 590A1
Rem. 870 Special purpose magnum w/ compstock, extention and GRS.
Winchester 1300 NWTF 18" Turkey

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cleaning is also a huge pain in the ass. The manual forbids disassembly past removing the barrel. Should you decide to go past this, better bring your A game. There are lots of little parts and its nowhere near as easy as stripping an 870/500. Better know what you are doing or you will be going to your smith with a bag full of parts. Other shotguns don't reccomend full stripping, but a HD gun needs to be cleaned regularly. Pumps are more forgiving of crud than other weapons, but a dirty pump can and will fail. The BPS is a very reliable weapon ,as reliable as any other pump, but it should be disassembled and cleaned with some regularity. You will get the hang of it after a while or with some further instruction, but if this is outside your comfort level most smiths will clean your gun for like 20.00.

I don't think you're being entirely fair. The fact is that you don't NEED to detail strip a BPS to clean it. With the ejection straight out the bottom, there isn't much crud that gets into the bolt, firing pin, etc. I've owned one for 5 years and have hunted extensively with it. All you really need to do is hit the receiver with a shot of 'Gun Scrubber' or spray solvent and lightly oil it. You really don't hear complaints about "all of the BPS shotguns out there that jam because you can't clean them properly." It just doesn't happen.

My personal opinion is that my "tactical" guns (anything I might use in self-defense) go to a gunsmith annually for teardown, cleaning and detailed inspection unless I can do it myself. I detail strip my 1911 and my AR15 once a year. The BPS would go to a 'smith if
it were on my go-to list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top