Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 3:51:08 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I have a question.

I'm interested in modifying 1 or 2 shells of  00 Buck, and filling it up with Rock Salt for home defence. Is it as simple as it seems? Just pop open the neck, remove the ball bearings and fill it up with crushed rock salt? Or will it slowly corrode the primer and maybe spark it off? Any advice is helpful, thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to do that?

Anyway, you would change the weight of the load.  That would change the needed powder charge.  It's a lot more difficult than what you described.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy some rubber buckshot or bean bag rounds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I've been doing a little bit of research on Rock-Salt filled rounds and it seems like more of a reasonable way to defend your home. I mean unless I have a gun pointed to me, I don't want to kill anybody, EVER. According to what I learned Rock-Salt, can be deadly in EXTREME cases but I'd rather have the bastard crying in pain as the cops arrest him, rather than explaining to a judge why I had to take someones life let alone live with that. I probably sound wierd to ya fellas, but I'm well intentioned
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The rubber buck sounds pretty good, but if it's the same 9 .33 cal ball bearings, only rubber dont you run the risk of having them bounce off a wall and back at you?

I haven't read much on bean bags, what velocity do those fire at, and are they relatively accruate for use in a home?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Rock salt will only get you in trouble.  You either are in fear of you life or you are not.  It is a yes or no answer.  No maybe's in self defence.   You never shoot to warn.  Anyone that keeps coming with a shotgun pointed at them is a definate threat.  You put a load of rock salt in someone butt and they will get way more after their lawyer is done then they would have gotten that night.

Also, I have every reason to belive that the salt in a matter of not much time would corrupt the shell and possibly rust the gun shut.  If it really worked you could buy it from hornady.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Karma, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would you ever want to do that?  If you are in fear of your life, and some guy is coming at your even though he's got a 12ga pointed at him.....do you really want to pop him with rock salt?  NO....you want to protect your life....by stopping him.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
In this day and age I think the rock salt is a bad idea.  I would not want to end up in court trying to explain myself to a jury.  You could end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#9]
salt + steel= rust

Anyone who lives in a snowy area can tell you that, and can prove by the rust on their cars.

I will agree with whoever said rock salt will just get you in trouble. "The road to hell jail is paved with good intentions"

If you fire a gun at someone you have better be in fear for your life; and ifs that's the case shoot to kill.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]
You are stepping into cruel and unusual punnishment land.  You can only shoot another person (as a civilian) to stop their activity when you reasonably believe that they pose a serious threat of great bodily injury or death to you or your family if you do not shoot.  I would forget the condiments and get some bird shot.

You shouldn't be pointing a gun at someone without the justification to use real bullets.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the afore mentioned advice is very well put and informative but Hemi you should check into the Castle Doctrine that was just recently revised for Florida.  If someone is in your home and you did not let them in and don't want them there...you shoot...end of story.  Forget this rock salt stuff as like others have said THAT will get you in trouble.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldnt worry about rock salt. if you have to shoot someone you have to shoot someone. just make sure that you HAVE to shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just thinking about the whole "less lethal" thing today for some reason.

NEVER POINT YOUR WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WISH TO DESTOY!!!! Right?

IMO, it is real bad practice to be pointing the weapon at some one with the intent of NOT killing them. You better be DEAD CERTAIN you have the right round in the chamber!

I'm not going cover anyone with my muzzle unless I want / need you to be dead! End of story!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top