Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 2:36:28 PM EDT
I'm seriously considering either an M1 or M3 for a HD shotgun.  I already have a mossy and I'd like an autoloader.  

My question mainly centers on the legality of adding mag extension tubes.  Are the M1 and M3 covered by the 89 import ban, which means they don't have "a legit sporting purpose" or whatever, and therefore me adding a mag extension or a pistol grip stock is a felony?  I know there have been a couple threads regarding the M4 and pistol grip stocks which make it sound like an M4 isn't an option.

Does ATF have a list of guns that are considered to be non-sporting imports?  Does anybody have a copy of a letter from them saying the M1 and M3 are legal to add mag extensions, etc to?  I don't want to use this gun to defend myself and find out after the fact that I'm a felon.  I hate how vague that law is.

Also, what do folks think of the M3?  Is it worth it for the auto/manual switcheroo option, or should I just stick with an M1?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an M3.  Regarding the tubes, the gun needs to be in a configuration that was importable.  So , you  could get a mag extension on a gun with a rifle stock, but not one with the pistol grip.  I dont know that the M3 was imported with a pistol grip and a mag extension.  Benelli has a forum here if you don't get an answer here.

There is really no reason to get the M3 over the M1 unless you are LEO and will be using less than lethal shot.  Other than just having the option to go pump, you'll most likely never need it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have an M3.  Regarding the tubes, the gun needs to be in a configuration that was importable.  So , you  could get a mag extension on a gun with a rifle stock, but not one with the pistol grip.  I dont know that the M3 was imported with a pistol grip and a mag extension.  Benelli has a forum here if you don't get an answer here.

There is really no reason to get the M3 over the M1 unless you are LEO and will be using less than lethal shot.  Other than just having the option to go pump, you'll most likely never need it.

Ah.  So what you're saying is that they were allowed to import versinos with mag extensions and rifle stocks, and they were allowed to import versions with pistol grips and 5 shot magazines, but not versions with both mag extensions and pistol grips.  I see.  Well, that's an easy choice.  I'm not a big fan of pistol grip myself.

Thanks for the advice, and I'd still like to hear more from other folks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO the Benelli shotguns are some of the best semi auto shotguns ever built.  The M1 Super is a great gun for HD, trap or hunting.

The M3 is a good collector item, or for those feel their Benelli auto will fail and would like to have the option of pump/auto.

I think the M3 is very cool, but I would have no need for it.

If you are worried about 922r issues with the Benelli, buy a pre ban model.

You can still find a M1 S90 with extended tube and pistol grip stock. My FFL has three of them. One is a M3
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You can still find a M1 S90 with extended tube and pistol grip stock. My FFL has three of them. One is a M3

I've considered doing just that.  Any tips on how to educate myself on dating a benelli, so I can tell if it's really preban?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've considered doing just that.  Any tips on how to educate myself on dating a benelli, so I can tell if it's really preban?

Well for a real quick check:

See if the gun is a HK marked Benelli......It if is Benelli USA, the gun is not preban. If a shotgun is marked HK/Benelli it could be preban, but HK imported Benelli up to 1997.

The other quick check is to see if the stock has a spot for a sling on both sides of the stock, just like a HK91. The old Benelli's had this stock....the new stocks did not have that feature.

Next check, is to look at the bolt handle. If it is a old Benelli the bolt handle should be round like that of a Beretta 1201. Benelli later went with a curved bolt that felt more comfortable.

If the gun has a 18.5" barrel with choke tubes it is not preban.  Preban Benelli's have 20 or 21" barrels with rifle sights and no choke tubes.

Of course the best way is to check the serial number like we had to do during the AWB for AR15s, but those are four ways to look at a Benelli and see if is an older model.

HK mark
Old Stock with side mount for sling
Old style round bolt,
Old style barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My hk marked m3 super 90 has a pistol grip and a factory mag extension. I honestly don't know what year it was imported, but everything is factory.

ETA: It is the old stock style with side mount, new style curved bolt, but old style barrel. Could the bolt handle have been changed?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a little Benelli action for you

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks a ton for the info, guys.

I checked benelli's site and I can't find a serial # lookup tool, do ya'll know of one out there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top