Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:49:05 PM EDT
I did a search but didn't come up with anything. Has anyone here tried the Wolf 00 Buck shells? I was wondering how it patterns in your shotguns as opposed to other brands. I am thinking of picking up some to try it out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot it before while just plinking around -- never checked it for group size. That said, some firearms prefer one round over another. There's always a chance that your shotgun will prefer this particular round. You might as well pick up a few for testing purposes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 20 inch Remington 870 Police Magnum and I have shot hundreds of rounds of Wolf 00 Buckshot. While its reliable, it doesn't pattern worth a shit. Its the worst patterning buckshot I have ever shot. At 25 feet, the pattern is abhorent. Federal LE, Remington, Winchester and Hornady all pattern extremely well in my gun. I use Wolf 00 buckshot only for practice/training.
For any type of hunting/defensive use, I have found it to be unsuitible. I noticed Wolf 00 buckshot has alot of "fliers". While it patterns poorly, especially when compared to Federal, it is still a pattern. 1 or 2 pieces of shot will fly a considerable distance outside the "pattern". Federal 00 buck and Winchester 00 buck isn't much more expensive but patterns much better. Winchester 00buckshot is 6.50 for 15 rounds at WalMart. Wolf isn't that much cheaper, and even it it was, I would much spend a buck more to have around that is cheap enough to practice with buit suitible for defense. While its true that some shotguns prefer some loads to others and every gun will pattern differently, I have never seen Wolf pattern well out of any shotgun. Its not intened to be LE duty ammo, but afforidble blasting fodder. If you can get a good deal on it, buy some just for practice. For training, its certainly suitible but for anything else, its garbage. I have never found it for less than 1.60 a box, and thats the same price as I can get Winchester/Speer/Federal so I don't even mess with it. Sellier and Belliot is slightly better, but still marginal....its a damn long 2 3/4 inch shell. This would also be a good practice round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top