Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 4:59:44 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting into sport shotgun shooting  soon, probably sporting clays, but I don't have much experience with shotguns -- I've only shot rented ones at Ducks Unlimited events.  I'm signed up for a basic class in a couple of weeks and will probably learn more and be able to try out different types of shotguns there.

I would like to buy one of each, but my immediate budget limits me to just one for now and besides, I've also got a Dissy and a No4 Mk II on my list

Which tends to work better for sport use - over/unders or a semi-auto?  Loading an over/under feels much more natural, but they seem to be much more expensive for what you get.

How important is having a mid-length bead site?

How important is the ability to be able to handle 3" and even 3 1/2" shells?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I like O/U. I dont like mid rib beads. I only shoot 2 3/4 but I would still buy a 3" gun just in case.

Semis are OK, but I dont really like the feel of them under recoil. With low brass ammo the difference in recoil is negligible.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  Both have their followings,  If you want to look at a no holds bar 390/391, Briley offers a package for around $1500 and up.

2. It's not,  Models like the beretta's use a center goove the will keep in line with the barrel.

3. I thought you were going to shoot clays with the shotgun, and not charging Rino's?  The 2-3/4" shells are all you will need to break clays (read and loaded on the light side too).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I like both the O/U and semis.  Each has their purpose, if you are going to use the gun for anything else then a pick which ever one you feel would be more versatile for you.  I have a beretta A390 that I just used to put a full load of 00 into the chest of an average sized doe this afternoon.  I can take it to the skeet range tomorrow.  I feel that the ability to handle 3.5 inch shells overrated.  I know several people who use 3.5 inch buckshot shells and swear that they can take deer out to 100 yards with them, I have a hard time believng that myself.  I have found that the ability to use 3" shells is an advantage in a hunting firearm because it makes being able to find ammo at any mom and pop store, wally world etc incredably easy.  

If the gun is to be used strictly for skeet then a 2.75" shell is fine.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Browning Citoris.....mmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I like both.

My dad has both.

I would get a Remington 1100 for all around use though.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer semi personally, and for an all around shotgun i think they are the best choice. However, if sporting clays is what you want to do, and capacity is not an issue then it's all a preference thing. You really need to try both, and of several different brands to see which one feels, and swings most natural for you. I never liked the feel of an O/U myself, and I'm much more into hunting than clays. Shooting a clay is childsplay compared to the real thing, like a grouse weaving in between trees.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Mike, I'm not saying a word.
I'm just strapping on my bright pink foam helmet with the Hello Kitty stickers, and waiting for the short bus to come get me (should be one hell of ride if there is a rebuttal to your post).
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I shot Sporting Clays competitively when I was younger. I still shoot it nearly weekly for fun.

I prefer O/U's with 30"+ barrels. Swings better and gets your pattern out there a little farther for those long shots. (Also fun for bird hunting when you can knock 'em down about 15 yards further than anyone else. )

Also, cleaning a gas operated shotgun after a 200 rounds course sucks.

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one over under. It is a nice gun for trap or sporting clays...but that is about it. In fact it has not been shot in two years. Semi auto shotguns are the way to go.

I use my Benelli SBE and M1 Super90s for hunting, trap and clays. They are the best "do it all" shotguns IMO.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Like I said, i prefer hunting. I have shot trap at our local meet(till they opened a sporting clays range), and shot sporting clays several times at "Lost Bird" near here(And everyone i ever went with, including myself, have a FAR higher hit rate than when shooting at the real thing, so yes it IS easier). It's fun, but not like the real thing. Clays don't zig, zag, or change direction like teal, ducks, and grouse, and you always have time to settup and get turned the right way and have the proper stance. Hunting is totally unpredictable, hence fun. Don't get your panties in a wad. Maybe when I get older and have less to do in the summer, I will do it more. However, as i have to travel all over the country racing motocross, i have little time. When the racing season is over, hunting season starts and I'm in the field all the time. I really have no desire to shoot trap ever again, it's boring as all get out IMO.

About the three gun, I would LOVE to do it. There's just no place around here to do it that i'm aware of. I'm admittedly poor with a handgun, but the rest is fairly solid. Whenever i find a place fairly close to shoot three gun, I'll definetely give it a try. The only place i know of, want you to join their club to shoot, and it costs over a thousand dollars to "join" and IMO, i have better things to plop a grand down on. If you have any suggestions on a regularly scheduled three gun shoot here in ohio, be sure to let me know.

Whats with your attitude anyways? Can't take a little ribbing about shooting clays? No sense of humor around here. Anything else wrong with my last comment? uhhh, didn't think so. Guns are like shoes. Narrow your choices for whatever they'll be used for, and try on different pairs till you find ones that fit you. There is NO arguing that. peace out

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
For a clays shotgun ability to handle the longer shells is not important because they are not allowed.

For clays shooting I find the mid bead, or any bead for that matter, to be unimportant because you don't look at the bead, you look at the bird. The front bead fell off one my shooting buddies gun and he never bothered to replace it.

Action type (O/U vs pump vs Autoloader) is really a personal thing but I will say this. The gas operated autoloaders have noticeably less felt recoil. The recoil is not bad on any of them shooting legal clays loads but if you shoot quite a bit even moderate recoil can start to bother you or make you start flinching.

Many shooters think they don't flinch...until their gun malfunctions and they practically fall off the shooting station

I prefer the gas operated autoloaders myself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The gas operated autoloaders have noticeably less felt recoil.

I have to say no to this.  My O/U's have a clean pulse recoil, while auto loaders have way too much movement when cycling. Perceived recoil in not just the rearward action, but also the overall movement of the shotgun to the next/second shot.  For my tastes, the autos just move around way too much when you getting on the second target.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#16]
There have been many good points made so far about target guns but one has not been brought up yet. If you are going to get into sporting clays and shoot some challenging courses, the kind you don't just need skeet or cylinder choke, an O/U has the advantage of 2 choke tubes. Alot of course designers will sometimes give you a 10 yard shot and for the second really mess you up with a 40 or 50 yard crosser. Tougher to do with one choke even if you switch up the loads.  However I sold my Browning 325 a few years ago and shoot semi and pump, most of the time a fixed choke model 12 Winchester even for main events. But thats what I like. My 2 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top