Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 1:22:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Manufacturer:  www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=3264251&catky=1513485&subcatky1=4548839&subcatky2=2000242

One dealer:  www.combatstocks.com/Butler_Creek_Protector_Shotgun_Folding_Stock_Remington.cfm

I've never used the one with the shell carrier, but I have had one of their older model folders on one of my 870s for 10+ years without a single problem. (Just right of center, below...)

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also purchase this as a special-edition, factory-made model - it's called the "Remington 870 Express Synthetic Folding Stock" (pretty descriptive name, huh).

Here is the factory link:
Remington Site Link

I don't believe there is a way to get to it from navigating the Remington site.

This link: Distributor Link goes to the distributor for this special edition model.

I would never have known about this particular shotgun if my local shop didn't have one in stock.  It's pretty comfortable for me, but the stock is very light and gives it a definite bias in the balance.  All-in-all, it's a nice stock and a nice gun.

-F7

(edited to reformat links)
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a demand for a quality side folder to be produced?
What would you like to see?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is there a demand for a quality side folder to be produced?
What would you like to see?

I think I'd like to see something much more solid, particularly in the hinge mechanism. Most of the existing designs that I've shot are strong enough not to collapse in use, but do tend to wobble somewhat, and they certainly look/feel flimsy. Something more like a FAL PARA folder, but with the appropriate drop to keep the correct head position - I do not like the new generation of straight-line stocks, which force the sight pl;ane too high. Oh, and spare ammo storage is a must-have. Maybe a folding version of this:

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I do not like the new generation of straight-line stocks, which force the sight pl;ane too high.

This one does not:

Low-tube AR Stock Kits
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Ace makes a good folding stock for the 870/moss500/590.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Butler Creek makes it, and it is a piece of fucking junk.

It flexes when you hold it into your shoulder tightly, and will occaisionally come unlocked when you fire heavy loads.

I was amazed that Remington would but that garbage on a factory shotgun. I would suggest looking past apperance for a good folding stock. Knoxx makes a great one. If you still want a Butler Creek let me know. If I can track down the parts I'll give you a good deal on mine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I tend to agree. All of the stocks I've seen look like complete abortions and the ones I've shot are flimsy. I guess the BC falls in this category too. The M4-style drop adapter looks more ergonomic, but IMHO doesn't offer enough length reduction to make it worth going away from a robust fixed stock. Maybe I'll look at the ACE.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Butler Creek makes it, and it is a piece of f****** junk.

It flexes when you hold it into your shoulder tightly, and will occaisionally come unlocked when you fire heavy loads...

What is the stock made of (I can't tell from the pictures and haven't seen this model in person)?

Just curious.  Your experience is just the opposite of mine with the old-style (tubular metal) on that I've used for a decade now.  It has never "flexed" or unlocked on its own and is anything but flimsy - in fact, its robust construction is why I chose it in the first place.

I have always recommended BC folding stocks - from what you say re: this newer model, I'll need to qualify my comments and specify the old-style from now on...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
It's plastic. The only metal parts are the bolts holding it on, and the pivot block.

The stock itself is plastic. I expected it to at least be reinforced with metal, but it isn't. Holding it tight to the shoulder causes it to flex, enough that I thought it was going to break. The pivot block seems to be well designed, and I imagine it would function well with a stronger spring and metal-to-metal contact. However, since the arm is pretty slick plastic, I think it just slips. I knew that it was plastic, but I expected it to be metal reinforced like a Choate folding stock.  

Additionally, the shell holders are not particularly well designed, and shells slide out within a couple of shots.

My experience with other folding shotgun stocks is limited, but I have never encountered something like this. I am almost certain that the metal stocks from Butler Creek are better.

I may have come across a bit strong in my original post, but I am still a bit bitter about the whole experience, and sorely disappointed with Butler Creek and Remington.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
While everybody is talking about stocks that do and don't work, has anybody actually shot one of those AR/M4 style stocks on a shotgun?  

With full dram buckshot and slugs?

That just looks like you'd be using a meat tenderizing mallet on your shoulder.  I've never used one one, but am very curious.

2guntom
2guntom.com
454 Casull
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That just looks like you'd be using a meat tenderizing mallet on your shoulder.  I've never used one one, but am very curious.

Those M4 SOPMOD stocks aren't the greatest buttstocks for shotgun shooting, designed for low-recoil AR-15s as they were, but it depends on what you are wearing.  Most law enforcement folks are wearing body armor so the meat tenderizer doesn't bother them.  For everyone else we recommend slip-on rubber buttpads.

Still, the M4 SOPMOD stock's butt "footprint" is larger than a lot of the aftermarket folders out there.  And the cheek weld isn't bad; a HELL of a lot better than some folders.
Top Top