Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 10:01:50 AM EDT
I was given this gun by an uncle and know absolutely nothing about it.
I have searched the internet and casn't find much, other than it may have been made by Benelli.
It is a 3 shot sa 12 ga.. It is a beautiful gun.
Anyone know anything about these?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
S&W was once going to get into the shotgun market big time.
Their first attempt was the awful S&W Model 916.

This was a major disaster for S&W.  The gun was so bad, S&W actually considered buying all the guns back, to recover their damaged reputation.

Their next attempt was much better.
The next guns were the S&W Model 3000 pump, and the Model 1000 auto.
The 3000 was a close copy of the Remington 870 and the 1000 was a copy of the Remington 1100.
Both guns were made in Japan by Howa.

These were excellent quality guns, although made with aluminum receivers.

S&W at the time was attempting to gain control of the law enforcement market, and was selling a line of ammo, holsters, their pistols, handcuffs, gas guns, and shotguns, among other police gear.

S&W thought the Model 3000 would allow them to take the shotgun market away from Remington.

Unfortunately for S&W, the aluminum Model 3000 just wouldn't stand up to the abusive treatment the police gave shotguns, and Remington ate their lunch.

For a brief time, the Howa-made S&W 3000 did have a "cult" following among individual police, but after the guns failed to stand up, law enforcement refused to buy them.

With the ammo and holster lines also failing, S&W issued a statement that they were getting rid of the shotgun, holster, and ammo product lines so they could "Get back to our core business of handguns".

With S&W dropping the guns, the Model 3000 and the 1000 auto were picked up by Mossberg who sold them for a few years, before also dropping both.

For a very brief time Howa imported the guns under their name, before they too dropped the guns.

Although the guns were very good quality and are excellent guns for "civilian" owners, they just never made it, probably due to the guns being nothing but close copies of the Remington's.

Gun Parts Corporation bought all the parts both from S&W and Mossberg, and currently sell most parts and some law enforcement accessories.

www.e-gunparts.com

As a sporting gun the Model 1000 is a good quality gun, and most owners like them.
The only "watch-out" is to keep and eye on the "O-rings" in the gas cylinder.
These wear and cause stoppages.

The gun usually left the factory with a plug that limited the magazine capacity to a total of 3 rounds to comply with Federal regulations for hunting ducks and geese.
The plug can be removed by disassembling the magazine tube...an easy job.  
The plug is nothing more than a plastic or wood dowel rod inserted in the magazine.

For instruction on disassembly, you can use a Remington Model 1100 Owner's manual, available here:
www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
S&W was once going to get into the shotgun market big time.
Their first attempt was the awful S&W Model 916.

I have never heard this.
I have a 916 that was a former Alabama DoC shotgun and has seen many years of hard use. I refinished it and have put a few rounds through it myself and it works fine for me.
I kinda like having a made in USA S&W shotgun. Not something you see everyday.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow dfarris, alot of info thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
On the one i got, the stoppages were caused by a buggered mag spring.  If you are gonna' pull the plug out of there take the time and inspect the spring carefully.

ETA:  other than that it is a nice gun.  Very accurate with slugs and with a screw-in choke tube a fine turkey gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
My S&W 3000 12ga has a receiver milled from high quality ordinance steel, not aluminum. I agree that they're shameless knockoffs of the Remingtons, however I maintain that manufacturing quality was just as good as Remington EVER produced and superior to the low end of their line today. Howa produces the Vanguard for Weatherby, and enjoys a reputation for very high quality. I bought mine used at a show years ago for a backup and/or loaner for dove hunting. It came with a 3" chamber, mid-rib bead, and screw chokes. The fit and finish are outstanding and while it's never been my primary gun, has seen many days in the field without EVER failing in any way. I've recently started converting it to a tactical/defense shotgun with a composite stock, a short barrel, and a mag extension. I anticipate the same reliability in this new roll as it afforded in field trim. If S&W ever gets their S*#T together maybe they'll offer something this good again! Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I managed a sporting goods store/gun shop back when the S&W shotguns were made.

IMHO the S&W 1000 was and is far superior to a Remington 1100. Functionally the S&W will operate with virtually any 2 3/4 or 3 inch load, the magazine tube on the S&W is stainless and cleans up easier and in my experience is less resistant to fouling induced jams. Both the S&W 1000 and the Rem 1100 suffer 0-ring problems, I would carry spare o-rings for either gun.

The S&W 1000 was also aout a pound lighter than an 1100, a big deal for guys who tromp miles thru the fields chasing pheasants. The 20 guage 1000 was an especially sweet gun.

I sold a truckload of S&W 1000s to guys who came in looking for "An Automatic". This was in Kansas and back then the pheasant reigned supreme as the #1 hunting season. Shotguns were a big deal and outsold rifles at least 3 to 1.

The S&W 3000 was never as popular, at least in my area. We could always get killer deals on 870 wingmasters so the price incentive probably wasn't there. I really don't remember what the S&Ws sold for, but I do remember one time my one little store selling an entire PALLET of Rem 870 skeet guns, gorgeous wood on 90% of them, for $199 each. I still have a couple of them, ones I cherry picked for the nicest wood.

Last fall I picked up a S&W 3000 Waterfowler from a pawn shop. Steel receiver, matte finish, 30 inch barrel. It's a little rough around the edges, but for $75 I couldn't pass it up. I'm planning to make an 18 inch home defense gun out of it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Does the mag extender for the 1100 work on the 1000?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I just don't know.

I'd suggest emailing Choate and asking them or try emailing Brownell's.

www.riflestock.com/

www.brownells.com

Since Choate is the maker of extensions, they'll likely know for sure.
Their pretty good about responding to emails.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The gas piston is in the end of the mag tube on the 1000 so you can't add an extension.

I had a 20 ga 1000 that gave me fits. It never did run well so I sold it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#11]
DELETED
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top