Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 5:13:58 PM EDT
I posted this on another forum

I bought a used 1100 set up for three gun, real close to the comp master. When you pull the bolt on any other fully loaded 1100 that I have shot, it will pick up a shell and load it without having to release the latch. The one I have stays locked open until you push the release. Full tube, shell feeds, but latch wont fall. I ran it pretty steady today and for the most part it fed. One time it picked up a shell and didnt go all the way to battery, and another it was down to last round and locked back as if empty, with the shell in the loading chamber. The carrier plate stayed down and the bolt locked back. What could be wrong? Before you say it I cleaned the crap out of it. Took it down and soaked it. Its not dirty. (Well it is right now after running half a flat today.)

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 1100 Comp Master shotgun, it locks open when the last shell is spent.
I took mine apart and cleaned it, I was amazed at the design of the Remington 1100 semi-auto, it was simple to take apart and ez to get back to together, great engineering.
Another thing about the 1100, I checked the rubber barrel ring and mine was dry rotting, I picked up two at Brownells and my shotgun worked great tonight.
Before I changed the barrel ring, I had a few occasional, roounds that did not eject.

What state do you do three guns in? I do three guns in Lacrosse. I am using my 1100 next weekend for the first time.

Perry
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The 1100 that I am working on does the same thing.  I can load up the mag tube, then pull the charging handle, the shell is dumped onto the elevator, but the bolt stays locked back when it should load the shell into the chamber.  I talked to my gunsmith and he told me that the shell isn't exiting the tube magazine hard enough to trip the bolt-catch.  He told me that he had seen many Rem. 1100s with this problem.  For starters, he told me to try removing the mag spring and stretching it, replace it and then try it.  If that helped, I should replace the mag spring.  I tried this method and it DID help, but didn't completely fix the problem.  I'm going to go to Choate and buy a mag. extension this week, so I'm gonna also buy an extra spring for a longer extension(you can purchase extra springs, they recommend that you buy an extra and rotate them every month, especially if you keep the gun loaded).  I'll post the results in this thread, so stay tuned!!  Hope this helps! ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not fully understanding your problem.. I own 2 1100s and many family members own them (mostly cuz my grandpa wanted to get the girls started on low recoil saves the shoulders) I shoot my 1100 for trap it works great...when its been cleaned. Now say you pull the bolt back and it locks in place? thats what its suppose to do the gun uses the gas. when you dont fire it you have to pull the bolt back and it locks you pull the bullets out. NOW if when you fire your gun it does not eject. a few options

1. check the gasket just like PerryF said and make sure the rings are in right

2. if that doesnt work put a 1 oz. shell in and fire if it doesnt eject put a heavy a 3 dram. should open it if that happens it might be your rings our (as my cousins gun was) one of the springs was a magnum spring

sorry if this came off as arrgant or not helpful.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
PerryF
I shoot in Texas. Havent shot three gun yet. Am not new to shotguns though. I have been into shotguns since I was young and we often shoot a "tactical" style shotgun match at the local IDPA club that I shoot at.

DBerk
Although it has a tinge of arrogance, I see where you come from. I'm not having problems ejecting. It's in the loading. When i load the tube. Ten shells in the tube. I pull the bolt back and let it go. It pops a shell into the chamber. The carrier plate doesnt lift up and the bolt doesnt fall. It should. ANY other 1100 that I have shot does.

ARKAR
I believe that you may be on to something there. I will have to take the extension off and try it with the stock spring and cap and see if it does the same.

Thanks for your replies. Keep it coming and I'll post my findings too
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like maybe the tube is cocked . Are you using a barrel clamp for this 10 round Ext tube?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Went to the range to shoot an ipsc match today. Asked one of the shotgun guroos. Said it was that dinglberry thingy on the trigger housing...... I havent a clue what he was talking about. Im gonna take the gun and show him. I'll let yall know when i get it fixed. Yes I have a supprt on the tube.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Went to the range to shoot an ipsc match today. Asked one of the shotgun guroos. Said it was that dinglberry thingy on the trigger housing...... I havent a clue what he was talking about. Im gonna take the gun and show him. I'll let yall know when i get it fixed. Yes I have a supprt on the tube.

You get ten in the tube??  

My Comp Master 1100,I can only load 8 in the tube and one in chamber.

You guys must have an extension? I don't think I would do this, it would knock me into the open class.

Perry
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im not fully understanding your problem.. I own 2 1100s and many family members own them (mostly cuz my grandpa wanted to get the girls started on low recoil saves the shoulders) I shoot my 1100 for trap it works great...when its been cleaned. Now say you pull the bolt back and it locks in place? thats what its suppose to do the gun uses the gas. when you dont fire it you have to pull the bolt back and it locks you pull the bullets out. NOW if when you fire your gun it does not eject. a few options

1. check the gasket just like PerryF said and make sure the rings are in right

2. if that doesnt work put a 1 oz. shell in and fire if it doesnt eject put a heavy a 3 dram. should open it if that happens it might be your rings our (as my cousins gun was) one of the springs was a magnum spring

sorry if this came off as arrgant or not helpful.

Ya know what's odd? I've never seen a Remington 1100 that shoots bullets.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ya know what's odd?hat

Maybe that's the problem?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Went to Choate's and picked up an extension today, also got an extra spring.  Installed it on my 1100, and it did help, but it still doesn't function 100%.  I'm gonna have my gunsmith check it out when he shortens the barrel on this thing.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#11]
WELL Lollypop_69, and bigbear_98

I use my 1100 and it shoots the bullets just fine maybe youve never done this thing that the 1100 cant get enough off, CLEANING thats the only problem with them if you use 1oz. loads (my frame is a magnum but 1 oz works just fine) you need to clean it or it aint gonna kick that shell and thats what i thought his problem was but hes using on of those fancy jobs

I have an aunt whos 1100 is older than dirt and shes always fixing the thing time for a new one but.....she says it wont feel the same.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#12]
UPDATE:  I forgot to mention that I thoroughly cleaned my trigger group here recently, just to make sure that the bolt-catch wasn't getting hung-up.  When I first added the Choate extension, I forgot and only loaded 4 sheels, so I tried loading 6(3inch) sheels to make sure that the spring was under more tension, and the gun functioned fine.  I have already tested the gun on the range, and I knew it worked ok when fired, but loading the first round by hand is where the problem was.  So there does seem to be an issue with the design if the mag-tube spring isn't under a substantial amount of pressure when you chamber the first round.  I wonder if the bolt catch spring could be replaced with a weaker spring as to make it easier to trip when the first-round is chambered, therefor the shell wouldn't have to have as much force exiting the mag tube to trip the catch.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Load chamber first, then load the tube. That is how I load.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Load chamber first, then load the tube. That is how I load.

To be honest, this is how the Remington Owner's Manual describes how to do it.  I guess the mag-catch trip lever is only used when the gun is fired.  I don't have much experience with Remington Semi-Autos, this is my first, but I really like the gun!  It's recoil is so much softer than my 870!  I've got a Saiga 12 that I really like too.  We might be trying to fix a problem that isn't really there.  Thanks guys-ARKAR.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I always clean. I like taking guns apart and doing stuff to them as much as I like to shoot them. I just bought this one from a guy I shoot with. I cleaned the crap out of it. I took it apart the other night. Figured out how the action works, and took a file to a few parts. (I like things to work flawlessly, and dont over file.) Works pretty good now. I realized that the tube spring was stretched out. It was catching on the part were the tubes come together. So I took off the extension and put the stock spring back in it for now. I called choate and ordered a new spring. Then I called Remington and was going to order a Competition Master carrier assembly. They are backordered and dont have them on their production list. Then I decided to find out what was differant in the Express an dthe Comp Master. One lady said that there was a differance in a few small parts in the reciever, didnt have a chance to ask what, the Gas inspector showed up and I had to show him the line I was working on. Then I called them back to get more info. This woman said the only differance in the reciever was replaceable parts such as the bolt handle, the carrier assembly,tube etc. Now I am curious if on the carrier assembly if the little tab on the back that release the latch is a little differant. This is one of the parts I filed along with the inside of the tube. I think it will be alright. Anyway I got the shotgun, an express 2 3/4, set up as a stock bird gun (28"brl), with the existing tube already filed out. He included the choate +5, the bolt handle, a steel follower, pistol grip stock and forend, fiber optic front sight (magnetic), and an over sized safety button for three and a half. I think I'm going to leave the 28" barrel on it. I like it. So anyway I believe I got it running. Sorry for the Novel.      Jerome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top