Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 6:04:49 PM EDT
My daughter and I go skeet shooting once in a while and she uses my 12 ga. Browning Gold Sporting Clay, is a semi-auto 30" ported shotgun.

She does very well with it, but I think she could do a little better if the shotgun was a bit smaller. She is a small girl and has to stretch her arm all the way to hold the hand grip.

I was thinking about getting the same thing I have but the ladies version, which I think, the stock is about 1" shorter and the barrel is 28".

What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny thing, here stateside we put all of our faith and efforts into the 'gun', whereas in Europe they put all their effort in 'gun fit'. The whole notion of shotgun stocks being a standardized proposal is a uniquely Post 1970's American Assembly-Line thing, and it's totally incorrect.

There isn't a world class clay shooter who is shooting a gun that they just 'bought and started shooting', yet i'd say 80% of everyone I ever see on a clay range is shooting an improperly fitted shotgun.

A shotgun should come up naturally, to the same mechanical position every time without thought or effort. This means that the LOP, pitch and comb must be tailored to the individual shooter. There is no magical stock you can just 'buy' that will fit a certain 'type' of person, fitting is a job that has to be done to a stock.

gunnersden.com has a great test that is a spot-on way to tell

Here is a simple test to give yourself to see if your shotgun stock fits you. Make up a target approximately 2 feet x 2 feet or 4 sq.ft., place it down range 20 yards relax a few minutes, now pick up your shotgun and snap point your shotgun at the target as if it were a grouse or clay bird trying to get out of range. Repeat this procedure 4 or 5 times, now if you had to make any adjustment whatsoever to get on that target, simply put, your shotgun stock DOES NOT FIT YOU.

I happen to have absurdly long monkey arms. A friend, who is my same height and overall build, shoots a shotgun that is a full 3" shorter LOP than mine, but with a higher comb as he uses a softer cheek weld than I do. If he were asked to shoot my gun or if I were asked to shoot his, either of our scores would go to hell, but with out respective guns we shoot equal to each other.
Fit isn't something that you can buy out of a box. It's something that you have to have done to your gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That's good test!  Now, are you aware of anything to determine your correct LOP etc?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a Mossberg 500C 20 gauge.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Same gun but in 20 gauge she will love it. Yes get the youth model.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I totally agree with 1234etc, etc gun fit is the most important thing in the clay sports (hunting as well). Most of the new guns, Beretta, Bennelli, Mossberg to name a few, all have adjustable stocks for cast and drop. You can fit a righty gun to fit a left handed shooter with no hassle. The only thing that is just as critical as drop and cast is length of pull. Unfortunately to shorten it you are cutting the stock. If you buy a youth model you can add length by using spacers. A bit of a hassle but not too bad. To check length of pull hold the gun with your finger on the trigger and put the butt of the gun in the bend of your arm at the elbow. your trigger finger should be on the trigger at the first knuckle from the tip. Generally that is close enough. If you are both serious about it go to a stock fitter and have one made, or at least be measured properly. A gun that fits will have less felt recoil and you will break more targets because you will flinch less and the gun will be shooting where you are looking. My 2 cents,  good luck.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Remmy 1100 20 guage.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
for fiting you should see a gun smith, i agree about the 1100 but go with 12 get a super soft pachmeyer recoil pad and use light loads 20 will limit 12 will not. and 12345-678910-11-12 I shoot trap love it and not getting to bad at it.. not a world champ...but im getting better i agree with the fit thats what im always told but... i shoot a feild grade 1100 12ga magnum (all the shotguns i personally own are magnums) now i had a gunsmith fit me last year he told me what was wrong with it but i didnt get it fixed one im getting very close to the part you mentiond without thought i dont need a bead the gun is a part of me and i miss when i think or when i just pull the trigger early (still thinking) now with that being said if you get your daughter fitted you gonna have to find out if you want it to be a part of here (cover the bird) or a trap style (float the bird above the barrel) ive gone out and shot with a guy we were both kinda new to shooting trap and he said he was using his bead to shoot and he out shot me when im using reflexes

sorry for being so lengthy get her a 12ga 1100 you wont regret it.BTW. i have a freind that said this "if she cant shot the gun on the bare wood shes not going to use the gun" when talking about his daughter shooting
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Alot of good answers out there!   Personally a 20 gauge is a must for some thin light and manageable!  and as far as model well for hunting and fun use just about any will do!  If she is serious in pursuing competition then I'm all for her shopping around until she finds the type of stock and manufacture that puts her on target the quickest and most accurate!   The browning has always been a favorite for me and even some of the older franchi's that have the browning look.   The 1100 caused me to shoot over my target more often than into it!  Guess thats why I like the higher sight alignment of the browning design!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
USAS-12Picture
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
C_G_R, by "shooting over the bird" it might just be fit your refering to because with my 1100 its hard to describe but i just follow throuh and pull into it i dont float it is that what your refering to because you can get a gun fit how you want most field guns are cover the target and most traps are float the bird from what ive seen
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Remmy 1100 20 guage.  

There is new in box 1100 w/ synthetic in 20 @ my local FFL, $350.  A good deal if you ask me. -Justin
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top