Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 8:14:04 AM EDT
I have a Mossberg 500C 20ga that I keep in the truck for "just in case".  I have #3 Buckshot for it and some slugs.  I decieded to patteren it to see what the farthest distance is that I could ingauge with buckshot.  
Its seams to be 15yds.  At 20 yds only 3 out of 20 balls will hit a man sized target.  I can't remember the choke on it, but I think it is a modified.  Is this about right for a pattern with buckshot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
VangComp it!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
No, that's not right.

Either try a Improved Cylinder choke if it's an interchangeable choke, OR try some different brands of shells.

Some guns just don't "like" some ammo and won't shoot it well.

Usually, the higher grade, American premium ammo with buffering material will shoot tighter patterns.

If after switching the choke, and trying better/different ammo, it still doesn't shoot better, you may have a problem of some sort with the gun itself.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Determine your choke.
Shoot with a number of different loads.
Flex-Hone barrel (Remember- Mossberg 500 = Cheapest Shotgun Out There- the bore polish leaves something to be desired)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#4]
At 20 yards the wad should hit the target. Maybe you need to shoot more. Is the ammo old, just rrey some more ammo. Modifed should be ok. Try IC choke if you have one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Slugs are your friend.

R.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I was useing Remington shells.  It was all I could find.  Recon I need to go to a new store to find different shells.

Looked at the gun last night.  It has a CYLINDER bore.  Ain't that a little more open then a modified bore?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an 18" cyl. bore and after about 20 feet it's useless, but thats all the distance I need as it's a house gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top