Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2005 10:20:18 AM EDT
I bought a 590 about a week ago so I've shot a couple boxes through it no big deal but a friend
of mine gave me pistol grip for it put it on looks cool time to shoot some. So I loaded her up with
nine 3" mags gona be like in the movies and hip shoot it man when I pulled that trigger holly shit
that hurt I thought it had broken my damn wrist. Needless to say the speedfeed stock is back on it
and the pistol grip is on a shelf in the garage. So what size loads do you guys shoot with a pistol
grip?
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I bought a 590 about a week ago so I've shot a couple boxes through it no big deal but a friend
of mine gave me pistol grip for it put it on looks cool time to shoot some. So I loaded her up with
nine 3" mags gona be like in the movies and hip shoot it man when I pulled that trigger holly shit
that hurt I thought it had broken my damn wrist. Needless to say the speedfeed stock is back on it
and the pistol grip is on a shelf in the garage. So what size loads do you guys shoot with a pistol
grip?

I think your problem is the "hip shooting".  I've used 3" magnum slugs in mine with no problems, but I shoot from the shoulder.  Why were you "hip shooting"?  Shoot it normally and you will learn to like the pistol grip.  I think it reduces perceived recoil to the shoulder and sppeds up recovery/follow-up shots.
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he is talking about just a pistol grip, no stock? -Justin
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Most people seam to learn the hard way that shooting a 3" load with a pistol gripped shotgun is a bad painful idea...

With a pistol grip, I prefer to stay away from anything 3". I'll occasionally put a couple 00 buck through it just to remind me not to do it.
I like shooting birdshot through it... Light recoil and can shoot all day.

BTW, what did you learn your lesson from? Slugs or buck?
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I once watched an idiot actually load up a Mossy pistol grip-only 12ga. with #00 Buck and proceed to hold it at eye level in front of his face and pull the trigger. I did not stop him because he was talking to his girlfriend at the same time and with ear protection on I thought that surely he was telling her something like "Never, ever do this"...wrong!

The gun recoiled back into his nose and lips and split his lower lip pretty badly. Since we were the only people there, he came over holding his lip with blood flowing and asked...no shit...if I had any bandaids! I could not help but laugh at him. I told him he was not gonna fix that with a bandaid...he needed stitches...and gave him a roll of paper towels to keep the blood off of his car seats on his trip to the ER!

Simply unbelievable!
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 4:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was a junior is HS yet I bought a Winchester Defender with pistol grip(Back in the day of Miami Vice and all I thought it would be cool)  Took it outside one day and thought I would end the life of a crow in the backyard....loaded with 2 3/4 No 6 I made the mistake of trying to use the bead, and BLAMMM! Right in the Goddamn mouth....thought I had knocked out both front teeth. Dumbass award for that one.....and the teeth inprints on the PG were a constant reminder of that right up to the day I finally dumped it for a trade!
 Just cant see the practical use of one of those other than hiding it under a seat for a robbery or some shit like that.  Lesson learned ;0)
11B10B4 ARNG Sniper
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was a kid I got a Mossberg 500 with the pistol grip. I thought it would be fun to feed it some 000 buck. I took careful aim at a tin can and BOOM, I split my lip like a bunny. Ahh good times
-JR
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Whew i am so glad I read this thread. I just bought this mossy last night and was going to go light it up this weekend with 00 buck. After reading up, the pistol grip is gone until it goes  under the truck seat.

You guys just saved me a trip to the dentist no doubt.

Beers are on me if your ever in Rochester NY

Link Posted: 2/17/2005 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#8]
must learn to not fight recoil when shooting with only a pistol grip.
I was playing with a 870 that had a pistol grip and my hand got swollen after a few rounds.
I use these now:
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah....the first shotty I got was a Mossy 600AT.  I wanted to be kewl, so I got a pistol grip.  I did OK with 3" 00, but I developed the bad habit of actually using the sights in this configuration.  In other words, I had my strong hand in front of my face.  Never a problem until...  I had one round left and for some reason had stuck it in my mouth.  That extra 1" sticking out in front of my face was important, and the round got hit pretty good as the gun recoiled.  Scraped the heck out of the roof of my mouth.

Ah, to be young and dumb again; at least then I had an excuse.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#11]
You can shoot 3" Magnum slugs or buck shot one-handed all day without pain or getting hit in the face with the BreachersGrip. It really works and there are thousands of COPstock FOlder owners out there that will back that up.

CaCrusin
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You can shoot 3" Magnum slugs or buck shot one-handed all day without pain or getting hit in the face with the BreachersGrip. It really works and there are thousands of COPstock FOlder owners out there that will back that up.

CaCrusin

You sound like the guy that sells OxiClean.
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#13]
What the heck is going on in this thread?  You guys are making a shotgun sound like you are hand-holding a howitzer.  

If you are being hurt by your shotgun's recoil, you are NOT properly supporting the shotgun.  Pistol grips work fine on shotguns.  Stocks with pistol grips work fine.  Neither requires massive elastomeric recoil reducers.  Recoil does not split lips or swell hands.  If you are having these troubles, you need to learn to properly handle, control and fire your shotgun.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Hurts even worse if the grip is narrow & hard. I pinched the pollicis abductor muscle shooting a buddy's PG'd SG & it took few months for it to heal. I'm looking forward to testing out the wide, rubberized grip on my M4S90 when it arrives - w/ gloves.
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

CaCrusin

I have a CopStock, which is the best firearm accessory I have ever purchased. It is one of the few things I have ever bought that actaully works better than advertised. I have turned on many fellow shooters to your products based on my utter satisfaction. I am preparing to buy one of the SpecOps stocks for my other 870, but I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE an AOW with the BreacherGrip. You guys should think about teaming up with a Title II manufacturer to offer a Knoxx equipped 13" 870. An AOW that you could buy with a $5 transfer and shoot all day long would sell like crazy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll Personally Testify a Huge "Plus 1" for CaCrusin & Triburst on the effectiveness of the Knoxx Stocks!

They Really DO work magic in reducing recoil!!  Best money I EVER spent on any gun accessory!!

That being said, I would only hope that any further armed opponents I may face be armed with Pistol ONLY gripped shotguns!!

I've watched SO many loud talking psudo high speed types load up with high powered shells at the range and then let it rip only to watch the gun slip back out of hand or worse yet back into the face!!  

Man...  You just GOTTA love the entertainment value of that alone!!!

If the action gets drastic, what could be sweeter than to see your bad guy gang banger opponent let one rip and go down with his face a bloody mess!!

Anyone thinking of shooting a Pistol Only Gripped shotgun the question always comes back to "Uhhh....  W-H-Y"???  

Unless you are a breacher the pistol gripped only shotgun is just a movie prop (they do shoot only BLANKS out of the movie guns ya' know!!)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Frankly, I love pistol gripped shotguns.  Their owners will sell them to me for at least $50 less than a comparable regular stocked gun.  Best part is, once you clean the blood and spittle off, you have a like new shotgun.  The Hogue Overmolded replacement stocks have been nice.  +1 for the Knoxx stocks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What the heck is going on in this thread?  You guys are making a shotgun sound like you are hand-holding a howitzer.  

If you are being hurt by your shotgun's recoil, you are NOT properly supporting the shotgun.  Pistol grips work fine on shotguns.  Stocks with pistol grips work fine.  Neither requires massive elastomeric recoil reducers.  Recoil does not split lips or swell hands.  If you are having these troubles, you need to learn to properly handle, control and fire your shotgun.  

+2
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Not a shotgun , but I loaded TC Renegde with my Elk load (she wanted it , just to see!)well .54 106gr 3f and an oilcan looking slug called a buffalo bullet . I really should have known better but shes a history teacher member of the 'daughters of the revolution' blah blah so she sat at a shooting bench (shes 95 lbs wet) tucked the stock under her arm 'little kid style' and b4 I could say anything she 'took aim' and let fly ..in both directions I caught her as she was falling over backwards off the bench and grabed the gun with my other hand b4 it hit the deck . I looked down at her and she at me ....Holy Shit Blood lots of it , her husband didnt say a word as he hustled her to the car and hospital . This was in 1982 she still has a scare on the bridge of her nose and swears she holds no ill will as she did want the elk load . twenty two years later im still married to her daughter , been married for 2 years at the time . She really is a great mother in law   RL

sorry it wasnt a shotgun story  (edited to say OR on the topic ! sorry those blood stories just kinda 'took me back' got carried away)
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I did the same thing with my Tac-Star setup. First thing I did after I could feel my hand again was to take that crap off and put the original stock back on it. Shotguns need stocks especially with 00 buckshot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Nancy’s
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#23]
3" 000 works good on lions, should work on zoombies?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
grip?

590s have a 9 shot capacity if loaded with 2 3/4" shells, and that's with one in the chamber.  I'm gonna guess you got 7 in there, including the chamber?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

+3
I must be doing something wrong because I've never drawn my blood on my Winchester 1300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top