Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 5:42:00 PM EDT
Hey, in case you're wondering, I've been getting some ideas over on the hunting board how to set up my shotgun for coyotes.  This guy named byron, who makes these movies "coming to the call", says he uses a turkey choke on his shotgun!!!!!  A turkey choke.  And he also uses a shot called dead coyote by hevi shot.  You can get it on cabelas.  It is loaded with the new hevi shot in T size.  I think it's 50 of them in there.  He supposedly was the first one to shoot a coyote using the stuff.  It seemed to work well.  On his video, one of his buddies shot one running away in the arse and it killed it quick.  It must work good if it kills them from the rear.  Plus, they didn't step it off but it looked like it was over 25 yards.  He says that turkey choke keeps it tight enough out to 40 or more.  I just wanted to tell you in case you we're interested.  It's on the hunting board if you're curious to see.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
O.K., that leads me to a question.  Are chokes kind of standardized where they are interchangeable betweend manufacturer, or no?  Seems like the threading oughtta be the same but I could be way off base.  Like for example could I take this choke you are talking about and screw it into a mossberg barrel, if I had one with a choke?  (I'm really leaning towards the 20" barrel you told me about.  But I'm only going to do that if I can mount rifle sights on it.  The 24" turkey barrel comes with those fiber optic rifle sights mounted right on the rib.  I've seen them on a gun at Gander Mountain and they are nice.  But I don't know if I can do this after the fact.  Maybe I'll ask mossberg if they can do it at the factory.  I'd rather go with the shorter barrel and then it would be a multipurpose barrel for me.  As I stated before waterfowl will be last on my list to hunt and even if I want to I still may try it.  But the 28" 26" and even 24" are just a tad long for a combat type rifle. for me.  The 24 aint too bad which is why I could still go with the turkey barrel they got.  I'm still debating.  What do you think?  You'd probably go with the 24" wouldn't you?  It may look kind of funny thought because it's woodland camo'd and my gun is stock wood.)
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, that's probably the best way to go because deer and coyotes are the main animal for me right now.  And self defense but my pistol is my go to gun for that anyways in the house.  At least I get rifle sights with that barrel.  I wonder if that barrel only comes with the turkey choke or if it comes with all of them.  I can contact them about that.  It's about the most expensive out of all of them though.  Plus my other dillema is if I do get that one, what in gods name do I do with the standard finish??????  I have some of that krylon in a khaki and it worked pretty well on a scope for my AR, I'm wondering if I should do some kind of paint job on the wood stock and maybe the recieve and bottom tube???  Those guns aint worth that much money to begin with, but I've never done a paint job aside from that scope and I'm worried it'll look like crap.  But If I leave it I'll have a barrel that's camo'd with the rest of the gun blued and wood.  Well another hurdle to overcome.  Doesn't sound like you ever painted your guns, what do you think??
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top