Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 3:35:39 AM EDT
I have NO knowledge about slug guns.  What should I be looking for?  Barrel length?  Semi?  Bolt action?  Pump?

I'd like a low powered scope with some good eye relief.  Any tips on where to start?  I guess it could be as easy as visiting Remington.com but this is worth opening a thread in the Shotgun Forum.

Thanks all.

H
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with a Benneli Nova pump. They sell them in a slug gun version.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have NO knowledge about slug guns.  What should I be looking for?  Barrel length?  Semi?  Bolt action?  Pump?

I'd like a low powered scope with some good eye relief.  Any tips on where to start?  I guess it could be as easy as visiting Remington.com but this is worth opening a thread in the Shotgun Forum.

Thanks all.

H

Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend

If it will be a slug only gun *(LIKE ONE OF MINE) get a fully rifled barrel

For a single shot look into H&R sweet little set up for under $200

pump guns mossberg/remington/or winchester are all priced pretty close if you watch for sells
to each there own depends on the company you like.. All offer a pump gun with fully rifled barrels
for a reasonable price..

Now mossberg offers a taped reciever on all there 500 models something to look at if you are going with a scope. winchester does not and pretty sure neither does remington. saves a few $ in the long run.. ie gunsmith if money is an issue.

bolt gun, mossberg had a nice little set up in a bolt action BUT no longer sells it, so the only one off the top of my head would be Marlin if a remember right. once again fully rifled.

Now me I use a winchester 1300 fully rifled high rise see threw mounts with a low powered deerfield 4x32..(had to tape the reciever) 100yrds no problem with plain old winny 2 3/4 slugs.....and could do better with better ammo/optics.. for me as a hunter since I do most of my hunting in Ohio with both brushy and some open fields the high rise see threw scope mounts are the way to go, that way I can transition between my scope or rifled sights.. hope this helps  

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a Remington 870 "Super Slug" shotgun and wouldn't trade it for the world. I've owned about every type of slug gun over the years--Remington 870, Remington 11-87, Marlin 512, H&R Ultra Slug, and New England Arms Tracker II--all with fully-rifled slug barrels. All did the job, but I feel that the Super Slug does it better than the others I've owned so far. It has a cantilever scope base attached to the barrel for scope mounting. You can remove the barrel for cleaning and not affect your scope's zero. The furniture is black synthetic and the metal is a matte black finish which resists corrosion.

Mine is set up with a Nikon Monarch UCC 4X40 scope. I currently use the Winchester/Nosler Partition Gold sabot slugs and have taken many a buck with it. Check it out; you won't be disappointed.

Remington 870 Super Slug
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If you ever see the slugs in Big Sur (Cali. central coast) or some parts of Oregon, you just may need alot of firepower!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What I don't understand is,  why do you need so much firepower for one of these?

Are they THAT tough?   Do they grow THAT big in your neck of the woods?

Would you use rock salt loads?  

www.uidaho.edu/so-id/entomology/Home_&_Garden/garden%20slug.jpg

CJ

I figured somebody would reference a slug at some point!

Guys thanks for the responses.  You all have very good angles.  I'm definately interested in a dedicated slug gun with a fully rifled barrel.  I suppose I'm open to the type of gun it is.  That bolt action Mossberg sounds interesting but so does that Remington Super Slug.  Seeing that I want to mount a low powered scope (preferably something with a 1X - 4X), A solid mount would be ideal.

I'm going to chew on this idea some more so I make the right choice.  Thanks for the tips.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:28:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks all.

H

Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend

If it will be a slug only gun *(LIKE ONE OF MINE) get a fully rifled barrel

For a single shot look into H&R sweet little set up for under $200

pump guns mossberg/remington/or winchester are all priced pretty close if you watch for sells
to each there own depends on the company you like.. All offer a pump gun with fully rifled barrels
for a reasonable price..

Now mossberg offers a taped reciever on all there 500 models something to look at if you are going with a scope. winchester does not and pretty sure neither does remington. saves a few $ in the long run.. ie gunsmith if money is an issue.

bolt gun, mossberg had a nice little set up in a bolt action BUT no longer sells it, so the only one off the top of my head would be Marlin if a remember right. once again fully rifled.

Now me I use a winchester 1300 fully rifled high rise see threw mounts with a low powered deerfield 4x32..(had to tape the reciever) 100yrds no problem with plain old winny 2 3/4 slugs.....and could do better with better ammo/optics.. for me as a hunter since I do most of my hunting in Ohio with both brushy and some open fields the high rise see threw scope mounts are the way to go, that way I can transition between my scope or rifled sights.. hope this helps  

Here's a question.....

Do most rifled barrels allow 3" shells or are most rifled slug barrels rated for 2-3/4"?  Does it matter?  I imagine slugs have the trajectory of an anvil after 125 yards.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Pricey stuff for slugs....but that 11-87 SPS looks awesome.  I'll start saving today!  Won't happen this fall...I'll just have to take my 270 to another patch of woods outside of a local "shotgun hunting only" zone.  I live on the border of two towns with one side being shotgun only and the other anything goes.  I've seen some sweet tracks, rubbings, and sign in the shotgun side....

On that subject.....I thought it was interesting that I could technically shoot into a shotgun only area...provided my firearm discharged outside that particular zone.  

Thanks Mike,

H
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I only shoot birdshot for clays and have no experience with slugs. So, instead of the accuracy factor why use rifled barrel for slugs, is it possible to use slugs on cyl. barrel?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I know you can use rifled slugs will an improved cylinder choke...but I've always been one to believe in using the right tools for the right job and for the price of a barrel (+/- $200) I figured why not buck up the extra dough and get a dedicated gun for slug sabots.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It sounds like you are set on fully rifled and scope mount. If you are mounting a scope the best way is with a cantilver scope mount barrel. As you know shotgun barrels are removable. If the scope is mounted on the receiver then you might lose zero when you take the barrel off for cleaning. Having the scope mounted on the barrel by way of a cantilver rail that problem is over and you keep zero when you remove the barrel.

Remington makes an 11-87 SPS, 12 gauge, 21" fully rifled barrel, synethic stock, cantilver scope mount, 3" chamber, not cheap at $905.00 list price. Soft shooting gas operated action.

They also have a 870 SPS Super Slug, 12 gauge, 23" fully rifled barrel, synethic stock, cantilver scope mount, 3" chamber, much cheaped at $580.00 list. But it is a pump and will kick a bit.

The last one to consider is the 1100, 12 gauge, 21" fully rifled barrel, synethic stock, cantilver scope mount, 2 3/4" chamber, a good value at $663.00 list. I have this gun and is shoots soft, 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with Remington copper solids. I do not feel I need 3" shells to kill a deer at 100+ yards. A great price and you still get an autoloader. MIKE.

you will not lose zero if you mount you scope to the reciever, even if you remove the barrel. Doesnt hastings make the cantilver barrel for remington? if so that is an excellent barrel, you can get those for mossberg as well...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I set up a dedicated deer gun a few years ago, and it has been pretty effective... Mine consists of an 870 Magum Express Deer Gun - which came from the factory with a fully rifled barrel, with rifle sights - and a monte carlo stock... I then had my receiver drilled and tapped for a Leupold QR base made for the 7600 - and bought med QR mounts, and a Leupold 2-7x33 Shotgun scope... I also added Firesights to the barrel, and had the barrel pinned - yet still removable - and some trigger work done... That way, I can take the scope off, and use the opens if conditions dictate it - and with that mounting system, it's always returned to zero... The 'smith that pinned my barrel uses a system that threads a 1/4-28 buttonhead through both the barrel and receiver, yet sits flush inside - makes the barrel/receiver connection much more rigid, and it HAS to go back to the same spot every time... This guy does factory warranty work for Remington, and really knows his stuff... Also, while in his shop, I've seen a handful of cantilever mounts that have come loose from the barrel, and were in for repair - it was on his recommendation that I picked the mounting system I ended up with - and I haven't regretted that choice for a second...

Like mike's slug gun, mine'll do an honest 1 and 1/2" group at 100 yards consistantly - which is pretty good when you consider the size of the holes, and that it's a shotgun... Mine does it's best with Federal 3" sabots, with the BarnesX bullets, though - they're pricey, but I've taken a bunch of deer with 'em... I typically run a couple of boxes through it before the season starts, and rarely have to adjust anything... Where I live, alot of the area is shotgun only, so having a good slug gun is invaluable - I've been using this set-up for 5 or 6 years now, and it's worked flawlessly...

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top