Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 10:05:40 AM EDT
I have a question for ya'll. I've got a Rem 870, came new with a 2 round tube extension and black composite hardware. I've only fired it a few times for a function test, it functions with Federal and Win 00 just fine. However when I try to shoot Sellior & Bellot 00 it binds when it loads. ??? Does any one else have this problem? My Mossberg pump and semi function fine with this ammo. Thanks for any info you've got.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Bottom line on ammo/gun problems in ANY firearm, rifle, pistol, or shotgun is:
Not all guns "like" all ammo.

Different guns produce different reliability and accuracy results with different ammo.

This is even more so when using cheap, off-brand foreign ammo.

You may have two guns of the exact same make and model, with close production dates, and it's not unusual for one to give radically different results than the other.

Since your 870 doesn't "like" S&B ammo, this is like the old joke: "Then don't shoot that ammo".
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably an issue over tolerances. I would never use anything from S&B due to problems with other, cartridge ammo in the past, but in your case, you now know what NOT to use in the 870!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
When you say binds... does it lock up after firing the shell, or during the loading process, before even firing a shot?

I have one that locks up tight sometimes, if I am holding any pressure back on the forearm, while firing.  I mean locked!  I learned to quit doing this, and it hasnt done it since.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey faris, I kinda figured that part out already. I don't use that ammo in that shotgun, I keep it loaded with Fed Light Magnum.

FALARAK, the issue is before I shoot, when I rack it, the shell hangs up. I can get it to load with a short stroke or a jiggle, but it doesn't feed reliable.

I was just wondering if any other 870 owners had this problem or if it was just my shotgun. If some one else has had this problem, is there anything you can do to fix this. I like to shoot informal steel shoots with my shotguns and I like to use the S&B 00 for it since it's cheap. I have a few cases of the stuff already and I prefer my 870 to my other shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

FALARAK, the issue is before I shoot, when I rack it, the shell hangs up. I can get it to load with a short stroke or a jiggle, but it doesn't feed reliable.

That's very interesting.  My 870 is VERY particular about short stroking.  I mean if I don't FULLY cycle it, it will do the same.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I can honestly say that after owning half a dozen or so 870s over the span of 25plus years, I've never had any function problems with ANY type of ammo I've run through them - I haven't ran any S&B through them, though - like ikor, I've had problems with other types of S&B - so I don't see myself buying any of their shotgun ammo.. Although people generally malign it - and I don't use it in any rifles other than combloc types - my shotgun has had no problems with Wolf shells - and it's pretty cheap...

Bottom line though - your 870 *should* be able to digest anything you want to run through it, though - it can't be anything that can't be fixed, IMO...

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's very interesting.  My 870 is VERY particular about short stroking.  I mean if I don't FULLY cycle it, it will do the same.

I'm sorry, I should clearify. I meant after I completely rack the action to the rear and start forward, it binds on the forward stroke. If I stop and jiggle it or cycle it to the rear again (short stroke) then forward, it will usually load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top