Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 5:15:20 AM EDT
what do you guys think about the 870 express combo? i am looking into buying a shotgun in a couple of weeks and was looking at them. i have only fired a shot gun a couple of times, it was my buddys remmington 1100. i am looking for something to fill my deer tags if i do not fill them in archery season. also i would like to try my hand at clay pigeon shooting. i figured with the two barrels ,fully rifled and the choked barrel, this gun would serve a couple of purposes. i do not have alot of money to spend, about 400-500 dollars. can a pump be used in skeet or trap or is it better to have a automatic? i am just looking for some opinions here. would it be better to get an automatic and buy a new barrel down the road? the only auto in my price range would be the 1100 synthetic. i thin they list at $500. but are a couple ounces lighter?? so lets here it, what do you guys think.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
i was going to give it a shot. are all of the guys shooting trap and skeet using automatics?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
In the 400-500 dollar range I would take a look at the Beretta AL390 autoloaders that Wall Mart sells. They show up the stores here in Virginia from time to time. I got one and like it for sporting clays its my main gun now. They have a 28" barrel and a black synthetic stock. They are tough, rugged, and reliable. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through mine. The only extras I got were some chokes from Briley with color rings so I can tell at a glance which choke i have in the gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
ESC i do not see the AL390 on beretta website. they list a 391 which is around $800. is the 390 discontinued?

i also was looking at the Franchi 612 or the Stoeger 2000. if you guys have any experience with these shotguns which one of these would be better? i am still leaning towards the remmington 1100 synthetic which is still in my price range, have less recoil than the 870, and probally has availability for parts because there are so many of them. but if one of the other three are much better i would like to hear about it? thanks for the responses.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ESC i do not see the AL390 on beretta website. they list a 391 which is around $800. is the 390 discontinued?

i  

You won't find "Wall Mart" version on the Beretta website. You have to go to the Wall Mart stores to see it.

The AL390 has been replaced by the AL391, however just because the 390 is discontinued doesn't mean its not a good gun.....after all the M1 Garand is a 'discontinued' model
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am still leaning towards the remmington 1100 synthetic which is still in my price range, have less recoil than the 870, and probally has availability for parts because there are so many of them.    

Both the Remington 1100 and 870 are fine guns. The 870, being a pump action, does  take some getting used to, especially in clays games like skeet and sporting where pairs are thrown. The Remington 1100 is a proven, though somewhat dated, design. There are many 1100s out there, last weekend I shot skeet with someone that used one and it functioned perfectly.

Honestly any of these brands are fine. Trust me, when you miss IT AIN'T THE GUN!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
i think i made up my mind. i am going to see if my wall mart sells the beretta and get a feel for it.

busted!!!!  Mike i should of never strayed from this site, glad you open my eyes and got back on the right track. LOL .you guys here have a ton of knowledge. thanks again for answering all of my questions.    
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Just make sure you get something with interchangeable chokes. Shooting skeet with a full choke is not easy
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to chime in here on this subject as shotguns, especially pump guns, are my "thing" The 870 Express is like a box of broken glass compared to a 870 wingmaster. I have an old wingmaster and will never sell it. The fit and finish is much better on the more expensive of the two models. The express stock is wood but the wingmaster is walnut and much better quality. With that said I shoot my 390 Berettas at least once a week and they are always in the duck boat. The only problems I have had with either in literally 10's of thousands of rounds is the connecting rod or link broke on my 12 ga. once. The newer mod. 391 Berreta is half the gun the 390 is. The major problem they have had with the 391 is the little buffer at the back of the link, which when it breaks, and it will, will turn your gun into a paddle. Also they are a pain in the ass to clean. If you are going to shoot trap with a pump or semi buy a shell catcher so you don't throw your hulls all over the place. That pisses a lot of trap shooters off. For skeet or sporting clays I love showing people a thing or two with an old model 12 Winchester. Showing up to a competition with a 20 ga pump for a main event really rattles some folks. Buy what you want but shoot alot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
HOLD ON! whos says they dont use pump in trap& skeet? i shoot at two local trap clubs and 80% of the peolpe use a Pump-Action! my friend gary went to the State league with an 870, there not somthing to sneez at. i personaly use one of the shoddest looking pump-guns for trap...a old Mossberg 500 with a 24" ported dual beaded vent rib barrel...but the gun's reciver had a gaddamn bolt in it insted of a reciver pin....fifty cents beat the  $12 my smith wanted for a new pin!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I can go out with Win AA black and hit 48/50 in trap at 16 yds.  
And I use a bargin basement Remmy 870.  
Trap is 1 shot , so it dont matter what you use, as long as you like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top