Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 1:31:07 PM EDT
Saw a Sears bolt-action shotgun today. Does any one have any info on this gun, such as how much is it worth and quality of manufacture? It comes with a detachable magazine that looks to hold 3 to 5 shells.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
We need more info on model number etc.
Sears sold a fair number of firearms made by Mossberg, Stevens, and other gun makers.

The bolt action shotgun is an inexpensive utility-grade weapon once favored by farmers, and squirrel hunters wanting as cheap a shotgun as possible.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We need more info on model number etc.
Sears sold a fair number of firearms made by Mossberg, Stevens, and other gun makers.

The bolt action shotgun is an inexpensive utility-grade weapon once favored by farmers, and squirrel hunters wanting as cheap a shotgun as possible.

Stamped on the barrel near the breach is "Sears and Roebuck Co. Mod. no. 101538D. The last character in the model number may have been a zero, but it looked like a "d" to me.

The weapon did look rather cheaply made. It had an adustable choke on the end of the barrel and a simple bead front sight and no rear sight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
According to the Numrich/Gun Parts Corp "store brand" cross reff chart your shotgun should be a Savage model 18 or 58.

Bolt action shotguns are usually under $100 in value, even in excellent shape cosmetically.  Most were built as strictly no frills utilitarian farm guns to begin with (plain hardwood stocks, etc) and have spent most of their life stashed in the barn or riding in the truck gun rack.

They do make decent "project" guns for the learning home gunsmith.  AccryGlass cracked stocks, checker & refinish the wood, add a recoil pad, reblue or parkerize the metal, etc.    
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My Son has one in .410... It functions well and shoots fine. But it is a very basic and inexpensive build.

MT
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a friend that got one for like 35 bucks at an auction. I'm not too sure if that would be too much or too little, but I didn't see anything to complain about at that price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top