Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 9:22:58 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I'm not shooting slugs with this gun, but do you think ghost ring sights is better than open rifle sights? If so, in what regard? I currently have open right sights, and I sometimes like it because it has more "open view", but aiming with it is pain because you have to put your cheek real hard against the stock to get a proper sight picture. The sight level is pretty lower than that of ghost ring.

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are not going to shoot slugs then the rifle sights will do fine and some would argue that a bead and VR would serve you better.  If it is just buckshot ie a combat load then the ghost ring would definitely be useful.  I love ghostrings on my combat shotguns.  

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I don`t believe that ghost rings belong on scatterguns. Vent rib and bead is MUCH faster and a lot more practical.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have them on my Benelli,and they are great much faster on target after shot.I shoot tactical matches with it and find it easier to get back on target.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The thing is over $250 if you do at Vang Comp! doh
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of what you describe sounds like a problem with proper gun fit.  If you have to struggle to get the right sight picture, the gun does not fit you properly.  Or you need more practice.

People shoot clay birds the size of your palm moving at 60mph with a bead only.  On the range or in a tactical shoot, the only thing moving is your muzzle, the targets are stationary.  And peole do not run 60mph.

Sometimes we get too conditioned to having a ton of sights on our gun. I shoot good groups with slugs and just an oversized bead.  A great cheap fix is an oversized fiber otpic, one that is like 3 to 5" long.

You can learn to gauge when to pull the trigger based on your sight picture.  Ghost rings actually slow me down.  Having Vang backbore your barrel is the best thing you can do.  Quicker follow up shots.

Nothing will improve your aim like confidence.  That comes from shooting.  Shoot first, then decide if you need $250 in extras.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm dangerous with my 870 bead sight.  I'm a proud self-proclaimed sunday afternoon sniper of clay pigeons.

On my Mossy 590A1 I've got the ghost ring sights, and they're great too, better for slugs.  Honestly though I'm better with the bead sight.  Granted practice makes perfect so I'm sure it's a matter of range time with any sight set up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Zoub and Hokie make great points. Like the man said "shoot more, shoot more often". Spend $250.00 on shells and targets rather than more shit to hang on the gun. I know many people who have very expensive guns that they can't shoot. It has been said here by much smarter people than me several times, "all most shotguns need are shells". MIKE.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Spend $250.00 on shells and targets rather than more shit to hang on the gun.

Mike said "shit".  He never curses.  Way to go Maverick!
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Very funny! Ratting out the Moderator! Thanks Z! Work sucks right now, in a bit of a bad mood. Have not shot in two weeks and might not be able to this week. Should go out and buy a new gun to make me feel better. MIKE.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
You mean like the Ruger MKII I bought last week?  I needed a fresh one.  Better than vitamins and a well balanced diet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Point well taken!

"Good carpenter doesn't blame his tools"

But then again, if I was going to shoot a lot of slugs, I see the point of using ghost ring.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost bought a new rifle last week but it was gone from the shop. I have given this a lot of thought and I NEED a Remington SP-10. A rifle is good but only used three weeks of the NY upstate deer season. Shotguns are used most every week. I have $500.00 stashed away, need $500 more for the SP-10. I have been eyeballing the 10 gauge for too long.

What caliber? Sorry for hijacking the thread. MIKE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
My M1 came with rifle sights which are too low for comfortable shooting.  I think it is because the rear sight is dovetailed into the barrel requiring you to push your face pretty hard down on the stock.  At any rate, I use my gun for tactical matches and would not consider switching to ghost rings.  I do have a 21" vent rib barrel on order (backordered) with a front bead.  I tried this out and I think it will be much better and faster then the rifle sights. In the mean time, I filed about 1/8" off the top of the front sight and glued on a piece of 1/8" diameter fiber optic with Super Glue.  So far, hundreds of rounds, it hasn't fallen off and is easier to see then the standard front sight. I did have to file quite a bit off the fiber optic to get a good 50 yd zero with slugs  
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Did he say "SHIT"?

Mike...you absolutely need a new gun!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Did he say "SHIT"?

Mike...you absolutely need a new gun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes he most definetly said "shit"  right there at the end of the first line in the 8th post, first one under Mike103..see it, right there.."shit".

I don't like ghost rings either.

Mike why buy a 10 gauge when yo can haev an 8?  I will never forget seeing one shot at the club when I was young.  Flame smoke and paper wadding everywhere.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top