Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 8:58:04 PM EDT
I walked out of my local gunshop today with a very nice used 870. It's got a 20" on it now, came with a few chokes. The barrel is marked for 2-3/4 shells only. I was wondering could I buy another barrel for 2-3/4 and 3" shells or can I only stick another 2-3/4 barrel on it? And if I got a 3" barrel, could I fire 3" loads in my shotgun?

Thanks!
mrf2
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The only real difference between a 2 3/4" gun and a 3" gun is the barrel and the ejector assembly.

If you have a gun that was originally made as a 2 3/4", you can put a 3" chambered barrel on it, and fire 3" shells.

BUT, the gun won't eject the longer 3" shell.

You can have your gun converted to handle 3" shells by having a gunsmith install a longer 3" ejector assembly in the receiver.

This isn't an expensive or particularly difficult job, BUT it requires some special tools to do it, so it isn't a job you can do at home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top