Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2020 5:54:44 PM EDT
Title says it all, anyone have any sources?

Picked up a Tacsol mk4 upper off a prize table and wanting to build it up. I really enjoy my factory Mk3 22/45 lite and wouldn't mind having mag compatibility.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking for a Mk II, III or III 22/45 Frame for awhile and haven't seen any in stock. Also haven't seen any MK IV.
If you find any post the source after you get yours.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Wirthwein gets some MKIV frames in pretty frequently.  Warning though, they ain’t cheap. You’re almost better to buy the cheapest MKIV pistol you can.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wirthwein gets some MKIV frames in pretty frequently.  Warning though, they ain’t cheap. You’re almost better to buy the cheapest MKIV pistol you can.
View Quote

I wasn't aware of that site, thanks for sharing @Outrider

Their frames are all OOS at the moment, but the listed prices are pretty much exactly what I'd pay for a base 22/45 in my area.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn those are spendy for just a frame. Buying a full gun doesnt appeal to me sadly. Because then I'd just have another upper sitting around.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI the MK III and MK IV mags are not fully interchangeable.

The MK IV mags will fit in the MK III but the opposite is not true. That’s due to the fact there is a back lip on the MK IV magwell that is absent on the III.

You can buy base plates for the MK III mags and convert them.

Alternatively you can file the back lip off the magwell of the MK IV. Then you would have full interchangeability.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The MK IV mags will fit in the MK III but the opposite is not true. That's due to the fact there is a back lip on the MK IV magwell that is absent on the III.

Alternatively you can file the back lip off the magwell of the MK IV. Then you would have full interchangeability.
View Quote
Good looking out thanks, I'll keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn those are spendy for just a frame. Buying a full gun doesnt appeal to me sadly. Because then I'd just have another upper sitting around.
View Quote

Welcome to 22/45 world. We have been waiting for aftermarket options for a decade. Volquartsen is it and if you think ones you already looked at were spendy you ain't seen nothin yet.
Quoted:

The MK IV mags will fit in the MK III but the opposite is not true. That’s due to the fact there is a back lip on the MK IV magwell that is absent on the III.

View Quote

Has anyone modified the MKIV frames yet? I checked them out when they first came out and it sure looked like that was the case. I have a pile of MKII and III 22/45 guns and am not looking to add yet another magazine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just wanted to add, Wirthwein Guns are some of the nicest folks in the industry.  Great source for hard-to-find Ruger stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Welcome to 22/45 world. We have been waiting for aftermarket options for a decade. Volquartsen is it and if you think ones you already looked at were spendy you ain't seen nothin yet.

Has anyone modified the MKIV frames yet? I checked them out when they first came out and it sure looked like that was the case. I have a pile of MKII and III 22/45 guns and am not looking to add yet another magazine.
View Quote

I’ve seen some tutorials on filing the frame down.

I have a VQ Scorpion and wanted mag compatibility but decided to get an MK III 22/45 instead. If you know the secret rain dance field stripping and reassembling an MK III is cake.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a VQ Scorpion and wanted mag compatibility but decided to get an MK III 22/45 instead. If you know the secret rain dance field stripping and reassembling an MK III is cake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll have to look around again and see if I can find them.  At this point it’s silly to even be looking as I have a pile of MKII guns and at least one MKIII is its mostly just educational at this point. The takedown never bothered me much especially since I’m a run it till it doesn’t work kind of guy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for any further leads...
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It sucks.

I this era of 80% guns and current manufacturing abilities, it amazes me no one has took on a suitable replacement frame, Especially since it is a non-serialized part.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It sucks.

I this era of 80% guns and current manufacturing abilities, it amazes me no one has took on a suitable replacement frame, Especially since it is a non-serialized part.
View Quote

It's not even this era. I honestly believe there has been a market for at least 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It sucks.

View Quote

A few months ago I was playing around with my P80 frame and MK IV upper, just resting it there in the frame thinking how cool that'd be. I'm sure someone resourceful with a 3d printer could force them together but it probably wouldn't be cheap.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I asked Volquartsen about a MK4 lower and their answer was Ruger IP prevented them from doing their own MK4 lower.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I asked Volquartsen about a MK4 lower and their answer was Ruger IP prevented them from doing their own MK4 lower.
View Quote

I wonder how they got around the mark III frame IP...

I'd love a polymer lower with the MKIV grip angle.

I did buy an aluminum frame from worthwein and they are great to deal with.  Bought a black Friday stripped MKIV upper for $22 bucks from VQ... turned into a pricey project lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wonder how they got around the mark III frame IP...

I'd love a polymer lower with the MKIV grip angle.

I did buy an aluminum frame from worthwein and they are great to deal with.  Bought a black Friday stripped MKIV upper for $22 bucks from VQ... turned into a pricey project lol
View Quote

Isn’t the takedown procedure the same for the older Rugers? I think the push button takedown is the issue on the Mk4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top