Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2014 9:07:20 PM EDT
I just cannot get the LCI pin removed. I've tried heavy magnets, tapping bottom of barrel with a rubber mallet, and pounding bottom of barrel against rubber mallet. Nothing is working. Has anyone lease had this problem and know of another way to get the pin out?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Magnet worked like a charm for me... you probably just have to find a sweet spot when moving the LCI around.

ETA - have you tried to degrease the area with anything?  Might have some oil in there creating a suction.  Maybe hold a small nail or paperclip to he magnet to get direct contact with the pin.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magnet worked like a charm for me... you probably just have to find a sweet spot when moving the LCI around.

ETA - have you tried to degrease the area with anything?  Might have some oil in there creating a suction.  Maybe hold a small nail or paperclip to he magnet to get direct contact with the pin.
View Quote

Yeah. I degreased it. I've stacked 8 heavy duty magnets on the end of a flat punch the exact size of the pin with flush contact and tried pulling it too. There is just no sweet spot with this thing. It's just driving me crazy! I hate to have to take it to a gunsmith just to get a dumb pin out, but I'm beginning to see no other alternative.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it seem to move at all?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does it seem to move at all?
View Quote

Not a bit. It sits flush.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Under a review remarks for the Tandemkross LCI filler, I noticed a remark from someone who had a 22/45 Lite and had to resort to using a dremel to cut the LCI out to get the pin out. Is this what a gun smith will do? I can't imagine any other option besides cutting it out or drilling and tapping it out? I can't believe something like this pin is so damn trivial.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the review quote directly from the Tandemkross  website.

"Good looking product but unfortunately Ruger didn't do me any favors with the 22/45 Lite. The "inner" barrel was twisted ever so slightly so I had to use a dremel to cut the pin holding the orginal LCI in. I then found the TK replacement would not fit because of a slight lip from the inner barrel. I used a dremel to sand down the TK replacement and now it looks great. Good product but know that if you are putting in into a 22/45 Lite you may need to modify it".

Has anyone else had this problem? If I'm going to have to cut this damn pin out and then modify the filler piece, I'd rather just save the headache and risk of damage to my barrel and keep it as is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the same problem on my Lite, it seems a few guys over on rimfirecentral have also.

I lifted the front portion of the LCI just a little out of its slot and then grabbed it with pliers and pulled the front of the LCI towards the back of the gun and it snapped where the pin runs through it. I then got the pieces of the LCI out of the slot and used a razor blade to fiddle the pin out of the gun buy leveraging the razor against the pin and the top of the LCI slot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the same problem on my Lite, it seems a few guys over on rimfirecentral have also.

I lifted the front portion of the LCI just a little out of its slot and then grabbed it with pliers and pulled the front of the LCI towards the back of the gun and it snapped where the pin runs through it. I then got the pieces of the LCI out of the slot and used a razor blade to fiddle the pin out of the gun buy leveraging the razor against the pin and the top of the LCI slot.
View Quote

I lifted and broke the LCI off as suggested. It exposed the pin in the LCI slot and tried using a razor blade and a number of tools, but it still would not come out. Since I had the pin exposed now i decided to use a Dremel and cut it out. All is well. now. I installed the Tandemkross bushing and reassembled the gun, and it's a big improvement. I get the LCI filler from TK today in the mail, and should be getting my Volquartsen target trigger and sear in the mail within the next few days. At the least, I now feel comfortable  assembling/disassembling and modifying my 22/45 Lite. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions (especially coyote silencer).
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to tig weld a bead on the end of the pin. I just built up the filler metal until there was enough to grab to pull the pin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
what about using a small broken bolt remover?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top