Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:32:15 AM EDT
.........on a MKIII?  And cheaper is better. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I am interested in this as well...
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Replace the magazine safety with a washer, or MKII bushing.

Stone the hammer & sear.

D&T the trigger for pre & overtravel screws.

Cut a coil or 2 off the trigger return spring.

Polish and radius the trigger return plunger.

Polish the disconnector.

That is a list of free or inexpensive upgrades, the other option is a VQ hammer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Biggest improvement gained would be a 24.95 Volquartsen Sear.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Get Flitz and polish sear and hammer until it is smooth
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. I replaced the internals of my 22\45 with Volq parts and the trigger pull went from almost 5# with loads of creep to just over 2# and breaks like glass.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Sam Lam bushing for $10. Basically a custom MKII bushing. You get to ditch the magazine safety. Much easier to disassemble and reassemble. Magazine will drop free and trigger will improve some. Pretty significant for a ten dollar bill. Guy hangs out over at rimfirecentral.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I replaced the internals of my 22\45 with Volq parts and the trigger pull went from almost 5# with loads of creep to just over 2# and breaks like glass.

The sear makes more of a difference than everything else added together.
A long time ago when the Volquartsen sears first came out my dad and I tried several things. We managed to find a few sears and one Volquartsen accurizing kits that came with the sear and hammer. We looked it over and installed the kit in one MkII, a sear in another that we drilled a hole into the hammer and another MkII with just the sear. They all felt the same so we started just using the sear.
The sear makes a difference that has to be felt to be believed.
On a MkIII the hammer bushing also helps a lot but I would change the sear also.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Hunter and Target MKIII and installed the MA Speed strip kit in each. Not cheap, but I get sharp 3.5# break AND super simple breakdown for cleaning.

How does the speed strip kit improve the trigger pull?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with all Volquartsen accurizing kit and other parts (extractor, hammer, extended release) .  Looking to install a Sam Lam bushing to get rid of the magazine disconnect.  At this point, I'm very happy with the trigger pull and overall performance of my pistol.  PM me if you want to buy an accurzing kit for less than retail (got one extra one).
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have tried a bunch of combinations on these pistols, and my suggested recipe, although not cheap, produces a great 2 to 2-1/4 pound pull with .100" or slightly less total travel.

It is only 3 parts. A Clark Custom pin & hammer bushing kit. For a 22/45 it is CLK517. These are oversized and reduce creep in the trigger.

Volquartsen sear to reduce pull weight and clean it up, and the Volquartsen trigger to provide the ability to reduce pre-travel and eliminate over-travel.

EDIT: Here is a post I made on another board with more detail:

The VQ hammer bushing eliminates the mag disconnect. The Clark one is oversized and eliminates some creep. Creep is the play in the trigger once the pretravel is taken up, but before the sear breaks.

The VQ sear reduces trigger pull.

The trigger has pretravel and overtravel adjustments. The Ruger trigger action is single action, 2 stage. This means there is a lighter first stage, then the trigger breaks with additional pull. A little pretravel is needed for the action to reset. I like to minimize it for the shortest possible trigger stroke.

Overtravel is movement of the trigger after the sear breaks. The only real downside is a longer movement to reset the action.

With those 3 parts the trigger pull comes in around 2# 4 oz, very crisp, and under .100" travel (typically .090" total stroke).

The Volquartsen hammer reduces lock time. The amount of time between the sear breaking and the bullet firing (think flint lock delay). I cannot detect a benefit, and while I have one or two guns with one in it, won't buy another.

The Volquartsen titanium disconnector is a couple ounces lighter than the steel Ruger part, but no one, my self included, has been able to detect a measurable difference with a trigger scale. Only reason to buy would be to replace a damaged OEM.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top