Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 5:40:16 PM EDT
I just got a new Colt 1911 Combat Commander XSE.  

I field stripped everything lubed it up good, took it to the range.  At this point there were no scratches at all on the pistol that I could tell.

Fired around 300 rounds through it.

Disassembled and noticed a long scratch almost from where the slide stop is inserted to the assembly notch it rests in ( the scratch seemed to correspond with the cutout on the inside of the slide stop).

Is this a normal wear point on the gun to where it would scratch after only 300 rounds?  Or should i get a new slide stop?

im not talking about the "idiot scratch" that happens during re-assembly.  This scratch is completely covered by the slide stop when the gun is assembled.  

apologies as im sure this is not a very interesting post, i just dont like to scratch up my guns if I can help it.

Thank you very much for any insight you may have!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try and sand it down (slide-stop) to reduce the ammount of friction in that area but as long as its functioning it should be fine. They will get scratched up and worn if you shoot them. It just happens.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Remove slide-stop. Find rough/high part that is scratching. Polish/sand smooth.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree sand it down to fix it. I had a springfield stanless do that. Called springfield and they said it was normal. But my colt and STI don't do it. So I gotta go with it ain't normal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys,

thanks for the replies.  Looks like ill be getting some sandpaper in the morning.

Any ideas on getting the scratch out?  will super fine steel wool and some polish help or will that do more harm than good?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies. Looks like ill be getting some sandpaper in the morning.

Any ideas on getting the scratch out? will super fine steel wool and some polish help or will that do more harm than good?

Unless its gouging the steel I wouldnt worry about it. Shooting a 1911 cruds going to get in there and wear of the finish under where the slide stop moves. Nature of the beast and all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey guys,

thanks for the replies. Looks like ill be getting some sandpaper in the morning.

Any ideas on getting the scratch out? will super fine steel wool and some polish help or will that do more harm than good?

Unless its gouging the steel I wouldnt worry about it. Shooting a 1911 cruds going to get in there and wear of the finish under where the slide stop moves. Nature of the beast and all.

this is absolutely correct, you will not find a 1911 that will not eventually have finish wear under the slide stop-no worries.  i wouldn't go sanding anything at all, that might cause problems.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey guys,

this is absolutely correct, you will not find a 1911 that will not eventually have finish wear under the slide stop-no worries.  i wouldn't go sanding anything at all, that might cause problems.

He makes it sound as though there is a burr on it. Sanding it down carefully so there are no rough spots is nothing short of what a 'smith would do on a high-end 1911 imho, so why not? Sure the finish will wear, but there is no need in it not wearing evenly
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey guys,

He makes it sound as though there is a burr on it. Sanding it down carefully so there are no rough spots is nothing short of what a 'smith would do on a high-end 1911 imho, so why not? Sure the finish will wear, but there is no need in it not wearing evenly

+1
I had a burr on a C&S slide stop that was causing my slide to not lock back every time. It wore through the finish and actually created a deep scratch in my frame. Smoothing the slide stop surface out with 400 then 600 grit sandpaper made all the difference in the world. However, the scratch is still there but it happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top