Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2009 8:53:32 AM EDT
I was going through my ARFCOM mailbox deleting crap and found a reminder to post pictures of my STI Ranger II. If I recall correctly, several people wanted me to post pics but I got super busy and never got around to it. This...is actually my second one. The first one was given to my little brother as a gift. He just finished 8 years in the Army as an Intelligent Officer and two tours overseas. Once in Iraq and the second time in Afghanistan. I did the same thing I did to the first.....Heine Straight 8 sights and VZ Aliens. Excuse the pics...my buddy has my SLR so iPhone had to suffice.

The STI Ranger II comes standard with a 4.15 bull barrel, slim grips and a beveled mag well. The Hi-Rise trigger guard truly has to be held in person to really appreciate the high grip one can obtain on the weapon when firing. Standard black sights are Heine but I replace them with Heine Straight 8's. This is an option through STI along with the magwell. I ordered one along with this one but decided to leave it off this time just to try it as is. I also place an ambi safety on it. For the price, workmanship and features built into this Commander size 1911....it is my opinion, top of the list for recommended Commander purchase. I actually bought a Nighthawk T3 well over a year prior to my ever shooting then buying an STI Ranger II. The fit in hand and bull barrel are personal preferences that find me carrying this way more than the T3. In fact....I honestly can't recall the last time I did. I buy my STI's through Brazos Custom and this runs about 1k. Sorry for the crappy pics....I'll try to get better ones up sometime this weekend.

Stock STI Ranger II Image

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok....we are at a little over 2500 rounds on this little beast and today made a major change. A buddy dropped by so we could head out together and shoot and we began talking grips. We both like the VZ Grips and I presently use Aliens on all of my 1911s. So he mentioned something I had been talking about and that is weak hand shooting. The Aliens are grippy to say the least but I mentioned before I wished they were a hair thinner I'd feel 110% comfortable with one hand shooting either hand. Well he had ordered a pair of the VZ 320's and a pair of the VZ Double Diamond Ultra Slims to try out on his Les Baer. He preferred the Black Red Linen 320's he had ordered and asked me if I'd like to try the Ultra Slims on the Ranger II. Holy Moly they are sweet and absolutely fit my hand like a glove. I don't have small hands but they aren't bear paws either. I have to say the Tiger Stripe are pretty damn good looking to boot. I'm so impressed after shooting with them today....I'm going to switch them to a full size 1911 tomorrow and try them out again. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be trading out my VZ Aliens for these on all my guns. Very humid today with all the rain the past few days but the gun sits in my hand extremely well with the Ultra Slims and zero slippage of any kind. I had to trim the bottoms a tad to fit with the magwell but they are going to be permanents on the Ranger II after testing on a full size tomorrow.

Yea....still haven't gotten my SLR back for better pictures. The white paper background helped a little...

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok....we are at a little over 2500 rounds on this little beast and today made a major change. A buddy dropped by so we could head out together and shoot and we began talking grips. We both like the VZ Grips and I presently use Aliens on all of my 1911s. So he mentioned something I had been talking about and that is weak hand shooting. The Aliens are grippy to say the least but I mentioned before I wished they were a hair thinner I'd feel 110% comfortable with one hand shooting either hand. Well he had ordered a pair of the VZ 320's and a pair of the VZ Double Diamond Ultra Slims to try out on his Les Baer. He preferred the Black Red Linen 320's he had ordered and asked me if I'd like to try the Ultra Slims on the Ranger II. Holy Moly they are sweet and absolutely fit my hand like a glove. I don't have small hands but they aren't bear paws either. I have to say the Tiger Stripe are pretty damn good looking to boot. I'm so impressed after shooting with them today....I'm going to switch them to a full size 1911 tomorrow and try them out again. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be trading out my VZ Aliens for these on all my guns. Very humid today with all the rain the past few days but the gun sits in my hand extremely well with the Ultra Slims and zero slippage of any kind. I had to trim the bottoms a tad to fit with the magwell but they are going to be permanents on the Ranger II after testing on a full size tomorrow.

Yea....still haven't gotten my SLR back for better pictures. The white paper background helped a little...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/48ffbfb9.jpg

Good thread!

If I were you, I'd get a hiene magwell on that, 10-8 trigger, 10-8 rear sight, either a goldbead frontsight or a trijicon with a white outline, and on the refinish get melonite.
I say that because that's more or less my ideal carry pistol

I personally love the lines on the ranger II, and I was going to give it a whirl when my pistol permits came in... that is until my funds went a little shallow, and I ended up with an M&P45c- which will 'carry the clipboard' for my miller custom 1911 when it gets here.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If I were you, I'd get a hiene magwell on that, 10-8 trigger, 10-8 rear sight, either a goldbead frontsight or a trijicon with a white outline, and on the refinish get melonite.

I personally love the lines on the ranger II, and I was going to give it a whirl when my pistol permits came in... that is until my funds went a little shallow, and I ended up with an M&P45c- which will 'carry the clipboard' for my miller custom 1911 when it gets here.

That actually is already on there you cant really tell from the crapola pictures. LOL

I am considering sending it off for melonite or ION bond but want to get in the pistol Bob Serva is building for me first before I do. For the curious.....full size, Scout frame same as the Ranger II......done in ION Bond....gonna be sweet....
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That actually is already on there you cant really tell from the crapola pictures. LOL

I am considering sending it off for melonite or ION bond but want to get in the pistol Bob Serva is building for me first before I do. For the curious.....full size, Scout frame same as the Ranger II......done in ION Bond....gonna be sweet....

Melonite FTW. What other options did you go with on it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]
STI Fixed, Tritium Sights (2 dot), Magwell and steel main spring housing......I skipped the hard chrome for a reason.

––-wait...are you referring to the Fusion? All listed below.....and just slightly over my target of 1500.

1) 1911 Custom frame with undercut trigger guard and Front strap
Chainlink, Beveled/chamfered magazine well, .250 radius cut for
high ride grip safety,

2) 5 inch with rear Sure Grip serrations with Novak sight cuts with
Rear XS Express tritium Post Fixed rear with tritium XS white Dot front dovetail
Trijicon tritium Bot Green tritium

3) Custom Trigger group, with trigger job to 3.75lb - 4.25 with clean
let-off.
TYPE of HAMMER: Pro-Series "Hi -FOrce" Black
TYPE of TRIGGER: Pro-Series "3-hole", LT adj AL Black

4) 416 SS, Match 45 acp Ramped Barrel with fitted link and Black bushing
STI/SCHM, Flush cut to Thick flang Bushing

5) Small parts: All Small parts Steel- a) High ride beavertail,
b) Checkered Mainspring housing c) Extended Ambi TACT thumb safe
d) Serrated Sure Lock slide stop, e) 2 pcs Guide rod system
f) Combat slightly extended mag release
Add MagWell
Flush cut slide stop pin and C'sink frame N/C

6) Grips - VZ Aliens Black or other color TBD
With Hex screws, Grips

7) Ion bond DLC Slide and frame, Dehorn all, for carry
Ion Bond DLC small accent parts , Dehorn all for carry

8) Complete build cost

9) (1x) Magazines 45acp- base pad, fittes and function tested,

10) Shipping to FFL of customers choice

11) Extra Spring Kit, Free, No - Charge

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top