Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:37:44 PM EDT
Back in ~1978, while in high school, I built a 1911 using a vega frame, no name slide, and the parts I could afford. Later, it got a Sarco drop in barrel w/ comp, a dwyer group gripper guide rod, drop in wilson beavertail, pachmyer wrap around grips, etc. the family nicknamed it "frankengun"

I had been considering the high end semi customs, i.e., wilson, baer, nighthawk or brown, and following the discussions of "whose is best"

Rather than dropping ~$2500 into a name brand, I decided to see what my local smith could do. 1/2 hour away is "Jo-Jo's Gunworks" - so I dropped in, talked with Jody for a while, and left frankengun for some much needed love.

the "to do" list included:
Install / blend 30 LPI S/S checkered mainspring housing w/ magwell (Ed Brown)
30 LPI checker frontstrap
Undercut triggerguard
Cut end of frame to match end of slide fit
Re-bead blast/polish frame
Tighten slide to frame fit
Install S/S beavertail grip safety w/ memory groove (Ed Brown)
Install S/S extended slide stop (Ed Brown)
Install S/S extended safety (Ed Brown)
Install STI long polymer trigger, sear, disconnector and trigger job
Install S/S Wilson Combat skeletonized ultralight hammer
Install Kart barrel, link and Jo-Jo’s bushing
G-10 grips w/ relieved access to mag release
S/S hex head grip screws

I probably should have gone for the sight replacement and slide refinish, but left that for another trip.

So, for about the cost of a Springfield TRP, I got a vast improvement on what I originally had.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/brt1963/IMGP0937.jpg
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/brt1963/th_IMGP0928.jpg
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great! JoJo's is a hell of a shop. I had a barrel cut down by them. Real nice guys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top